3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running on the beach/in the sand? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/284554-running-beach-sand.html)

GlamourGirl827 07-09-2013 09:24 AM

Running on the beach/in the sand?

So I'm not runnig right now but I did before this pregnancy and will again after...anyway I was wondering if anyone runs on the beach? Not the boardwalk, but in the sand. It sounds like a hard workout, but I don't think I've seen any runners on the sand.
Have you ever? Would you?

Would you just wear sneakers? Is this a dumb idea? lol

KindaSortaAthlete 07-09-2013 11:18 AM

Running in sand is a challenge!! When I lived by a beach I didn't do it because I've got a tendency for runners knee and the uneven surface wasn't great for me. When I did see folks running on the beach though, they usually ran close to the water where the sand was more densely packed and even. I'd say the majority of the runners I saw wore shoes.

But running on the beach does sound rather dreamy!! Something fun for you to look forward to!

TripSwitch 07-09-2013 11:21 AM

Actually it's one of the only times that I will run barefoot... But I keep it real short... 20 or 25 minutes... 30 tops... and I don't try to make it into a "real" workout... I like going out really early at around sinrise and just enjoy being on the beach and feeling the sand squish between my toes... that sort of thing... than I'll usually take a dip in the ocean before heading back up to the house... And even though I just do it for fun really, I can definitely "feel" the difference in my feet and legs... which for me is a nice change of pace from all my "regular" running...

GlamourGirl827 07-09-2013 12:00 PM

Tripswitch, I *want* to run barefoot, but I'm serious worried because we are in the area worst hit by Sandy, and they have been pulling some crazy stuff out of the water!!! I see you are in NY, idk if you are in the city (I assume so because of you avatar) but if you are I'm sure you are hearing on the news the stuff washing up on the beaches!
Now I havent even had the baby, and I have a good year of weight loss and starting over running before this is an option so I was think maybe by next year the ocean will have purged most of its debris...

KIndofsortaathlete, I actually wondered about that too. I had a bakers cyst a few years back which I think came from increasing my mile too fast along with suddenly biking alot, since I never really biked before. I was unable to run for a few weeks. I wondered if the uneven surface would agrevate it. Again I am not going to be doing this until next summer, but I' m just dreaming of it now lol

Kscott 07-09-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 (Post 4789120)
So I'm not runnig right now but I did before this pregnancy and will again after...anyway I was wondering if anyone runs on the beach? Not the boardwalk, but in the sand. It sounds like a hard workout, but I don't think I've seen any runners on the sand.
Have you ever? Would you?

Would you just wear sneakers? Is this a dumb idea? lol

You're right it is very difficult. The one thing you need to be very careful about with running on the beach is the slope of the beach. If it's not level--you're going to force one foot or the other to over-pronate in one direction which could cause injury. Furthermore--I stepped into a hole on the beach that was covered up by sand--(I couldn't see it) and almost broke my ankle-and ended up on crutches for several weeks-so that was enough beach walking/running for me.

It's not that I mind un-level walking running--no one can avoid that--but when you're running or walking longer distances--that continual over-pronation of the foot to one side or the other is going to do some damage. No mas para me--ha.ha.

TripSwitch 07-09-2013 01:34 PM

GlamorGirl827... I am in the city and Sandy was just crazy, but fortunately the beaches out on the island where we go are in pretty good shape... But you definitely got to watch your footing so you don't accidentally step on anything crazy... Oh, and I keep my tetanus shot up to date... just in case... Lol... :)

GlamourGirl827 07-09-2013 01:59 PM

kscott - I was wondering about that too, the slope of the beach, I was thinknig it would be like running with a long leg and short leg lol having the ground just that much lower for one side. I was googling it too and come across some other people with similar concerns. I think it might be one of those things I try once, and I'm just like, "ok, glad I tried it but no thanks" One runner posted that as sand got into his shoes it basically tore up his feet but he didn't really notice until after the run!

I didn't even think about holes on the beach either...which is very possible as there are a lot of people on our beach ever season playing and digging.

Tripswitch - They have pulled some pier rides out of our water recently, and also an uncovered bomb from WWII, did you hear about thar? They evacuated the beach to detonate it. Now I'm pretty sure I'd notice a bomb before I stepped on it, but I worry about other debris. Apparently recent water checks by divers have shown that there is a substantial amount of wood from the boardwalks, siding and metal piece from who knows what. And yes very good ppint about the tennus shot!

Kscott 07-09-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlamourGirl827 (Post 4789342)
kscott - I was wondering about that too, the slope of the beach, I was thinknig it would be like running with a long leg and short leg lol having the ground just that much lower for one side. I was googling it too and come across some other people with similar concerns. I think it might be one of those things I try once, and I'm just like, "ok, glad I tried it but no thanks" One runner posted that as sand got into his shoes it basically tore up his feet but he didn't really notice until after the run!

I didn't even think about holes on the beach either...which is very possible as there are a lot of people on our beach ever season playing and digging.

Tripswitch - They have pulled some pier rides out of our water recently, and also an uncovered bomb from WWII, did you hear about thar? They evacuated the beach to detonate it. Now I'm pretty sure I'd notice a bomb before I stepped on it, but I worry about other debris. Apparently recent water checks by divers have shown that there is a substantial amount of wood from the boardwalks, siding and metal piece from who knows what. And yes very good ppint about the tennus shot!

Yes--that's exactly what I encountered--one leg running shorter than the other because of the slope of the beach. After a mile or so--I could really feel it in my ankle because of the forced pro-nation of the foot--and then I really did it by stepping into the hole that I couldn't see.

The ocean washes all kinds of things up onto the beach--including good size rocks that are then covered by sand--making for sometimes an invisible obstacle course--and that's what happened to me. That's probably why we really don't see too many people running on beaches.