Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Anyone have knee problems?

Hello there,

Over the past week, I've had pain in my right knee. First, it was only when I was going down hill (hiking/walking) but now, it happens even when I'm just doing regular walking. I really don't want to see the doctor over this because I just hope it'll go away, but what do people usually do for knee issues? A support bandage type of thing? Sorry, I'm not sure what it's called. I tried one on at a sporting goods store and it didn't seem to help at all, but it was only for a few minutes. I'd love any advice you can offer.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I was having knee pain about 2 years ago when I was training for the MCM in 2011. I ended up not doing it and defering to last year. Anyway, I went to the Dr because I was concerned that it was going to keep me from doing the race. They did x rays of my knee just to make sure there wasnt anything broken or something. The PT diagnosed me with "tracking patella". He said it was due to my being overweight and having weak hips. I was to work on strengthening my hips and thighs and it would in turn help with my knee issues. He said it was common in women - as it's common for women to have weak hips.

Anyway, I did not work on strength training and just bought this:

Which it does help. I rarely get pain with it anymore. But I want to eventually be able to stop using it and have been trying to work on what the PT wanted me to.

It was interesting after this happened, I started reading a ton of articles in exercise magazines about this exact thing and how it stems from weak upper leg muscles.
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Lizzyg, thank you SO MUCH for letting me know about this product. I'm going to order it today!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Hello there,

Over the past week, I've had pain in my right knee. First, it was only when I was going down hill (hiking/walking) but now, it happens even when I'm just doing regular walking. I really don't want to see the doctor over this because I just hope it'll go away, but what do people usually do for knee issues? A support bandage type of thing? Sorry, I'm not sure what it's called. I tried one on at a sporting goods store and it didn't seem to help at all, but it was only for a few minutes. I'd love any advice you can offer.
When I used to play racquetball my knee would bother me at times. I would just use one of those cheap--velcrow knee wraps you can buy at about any store. But you need to wear it when you're working out--and probably at home for a while too. Mine added a little heat to the problem and cured it. As far a hiking downhill--downhill is really the worst on your knees--especially if it's a long ways down.

You might also want to check out your shoes too. Any pronation in your foot--(where your ankle bends one way or the other upon impact) can cause pain in your knee. And there's plenty of remedies for that also. Proper running/walking shoes--inserts--etc.

Last edited by Kscott; 07-08-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote