Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #1  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Eating more on Rest Days?

I have been noticing that I am SO MUCH MORE HUNGRY on my rest days, than on workout days. Rest days, I find it way way too easy to just keep eating.

Why is this and is going to throw me totally off track?!?!?!?!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #2  

Hmmmm.. are you sure it's not boredom? (Not questioning your hunger, just thinking out loud while typing? )

I'm starving on my higher intensity workout days and finally upped my calories between 250-400 calories. It finally restarted my weightloss and I'm happy to stuff my face more without guilt.

Eat more and see what happens. (Healthy calories of course!)

Being hungry is a real danger zone for me. I think I finally have binging under control but I still have to watch it. So I try to curb the hunger as soon as I feel it coming, either with a cup of coffee/tea or a piece of fruit.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #3  

I think there might be a little bit of boredom in there (always been a problem for me!) however lately, on my rest days I have been staying late at work so I have been coming home later all week. (5 instead of 3:30) The same time I come home on gym days, so there isn't any extra time available for snacking... Gym days, when I get home I am RAVENOUS. But it seems like it doesn't take as much for me to feel full. Rest days, when I get home I don't feel the need to immediately make dinner, so I make it a little later.

Still for whatever reason on rest days I want more at dinner. I don't seem to get full. Not terribly long after dinner I feel hungry again. I will have a glass of water and hope that my tummy grumbles subside. Most times it doesn't and I need to have a snack! I do my best to keep the snacks healthy, I try not to have junk in the house if at all possible nothing to tempt me then!

I have been stalled on the scale all month, but I have been noticing some muscles starting to poke through the fat! That makes me happy at least
Old 06-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #4  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

Do you work out in the afternoons?

Even though I'm hungry in the hour immediately following exercise, that hunger is easily satiated. Then for hours after, my appetite is much lower than usual. It takes about 5 hours before my appetite starts to come out from under that post-exercise haze. Because of this, I prefer to exercise in the late afternoon. It keeps me from eating mindlessly in the evening, the only part of the day where I'm often tempted to do that.

So, if you're similar, what could be happening is your body just needs some time for that exercise-induced appetite suppression to wear off. When it does, your body feels the calories burned and wants food.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

Silverfire:

I workout in the am and I am not hungry on lift days and STARVING the day after. I figure it's my body's way of telling me it needs energy to refuel/build more muscles! And I'm extra thirsty the day after, too (and all I drink is water). I eat about 2000-2200 on recovery, 1800-1900 on workout days. It hasn't hurt my weightloss/maintenance to eat more, either.
If you're growling tummy hungry - EAT!
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #6  

I do work out in the afternoons! I used to in the mornings too but I just couldn't bring my self to go to bed at 8:30 when the sun it still up anymore! lol. I am glad I am not alone in this feeling Thanks guys, you all rock! I'm just going to keep doing what I am doing then, and adjust as needed if the scale doesn't start moving!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

I've been reading a lot about nutrition and exercise recently as I've just added higher intensity workouts to my routine. If you are lifting you'll be burning calories up to 24 hours after you're finished so many people have stated they are hungrier the day after their workout than the day of. This is especially true if you work out later in the day.

I'm not sure if this relates to all types of workouts as I was specifically looking for lifting information. If you are legitimately hungry though I'd eat more on off days and see if you can eat a bit less on exercise days.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #8  

I have just been getting into lifting... so that makes total sense. Going to be starting NROLW pretty soon too
Old 06-07-2013, 04:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: BF% 37.6/see sig/BF20%

Height: 5' 9"

Silverfire:

Have you looked at the NRoL Supercharged? It came out this past Dec.
I started it on 31Dec and I love it!
2FatCats is offline   Reply With Quote