Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default 30 Day Shred questions!

Hi guys!

So I have a few questions about the 30 day shred. I started this because I started to feel like my weight loss was stalling and I was getting bored of the elliptical, but I don't know if I'm approaching the program correctly, so here goes

1) I can't finish the jumping jacks sometimes or really anything with weights, whenever she says "ok two more"...I literally never complete those "two more" I just stop because I don't have the energy. Will I still see results doing it this way? I'm on Day 3 of level 1 so I haven't gotten that far yet.

2) My diet, I'm eating a high protein/high vegetable diet no starches except for an oat bran +flax seed pancake in the morning. (I'm modified the Dukan diet a bit) I don't exactly count calories either, just make healthier decisions.
Does this sound ok?

3) Last question!! Is this program geared toward getting stronger/toned only? This might sound bad but for now my main goal is to drop the lbs. But most of the reviews for this say you lose more inches than lbs, which i am ok with but I dont want to gain inches in muscle and look bigger, if that makes sense.

I know I don't enough lifting to get that big but when I google 30 day shred results one girl's biceps got an inch or so bigger and I honestly think I would be sad if that happened because my main goal is to look smaller overall.

And after the 30 day shred what do people do?? is there an advanced version we are supposed to continue with? If I wasn't doing 30DS, I wouldn't be doing any weights either (I usually just do cardio) so I'm assuming if I stopped after 30 days my (really) hard work would be a waste since I wouldn't be continuing the same intensity of exercise.

Anywho, I hope my questions make sense, and if you have any advice/comments I would love to hear them!

Thanks! (and sorry for the novel post!!)
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

You won't really gain muscle with the 30 day shred. You will lose weight for sure though. With 30DS, you are really focusing on muscle endurance, not really building muscle. Since you do soooo many reps, it is very different than actual strength programs were the goal it to do only 8-12 reps, not the 15+ that you do in 30DS.

If you can't finish any of the cardio moves, just walk in place. Each time, try to do one more or just go until you CANT (not until you don't want to). The goal is to get to the point where you feel like no matter what, you could not have done one more. Same thing for weight training. It does get easier.

When I did the 30DS , I lost inches and weight - I did not really gain any muscle.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candeka View Post
You won't really gain muscle with the 30 day shred. You will lose weight for sure though. With 30DS, you are really focusing on muscle endurance, not really building muscle. Since you do soooo many reps, it is very different than actual strength programs were the goal it to do only 8-12 reps, not the 15+ that you do in 30DS.

If you can't finish any of the cardio moves, just walk in place. Each time, try to do one more or just go until you CANT (not until you don't want to). The goal is to get to the point where you feel like no matter what, you could not have done one more. Same thing for weight training. It does get easier.

When I did the 30DS , I lost inches and weight - I did not really gain any muscle.
Thank you for your response!

Ok that's def good to hear! I guess I will keep with it then. If you don't mind me asking what did you do after the 30DS?
Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #4  
Katrina

If you like Jillian Michaels training approach, a lot of people move on to either Ripped in 30 (same style as 30DS in regards to the 3-2-1 system), or Banish Fat Boot Metabolism (this one is pure cardio). I thought I liked Jillian, but then I found Chalene Johnson. I love her training style and attitude far better than Jillians, so when I finished 30DS, I moved on to a hybrid of Turbo Fire and Chalean Extreme.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #5  
Katrina

I should also point out that Banish Fat Boost Metabolism isn't a program, but a singular 40 minute cardio workout. I know a lot of people pair it with her No More Trouble Zones video and rotate them throughout the week.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #6  

Wow I have literally never heard of those lol but that's awesome that there's stuff out after 30DS! I didn't know if ppl keep to her programs on not afterwards, but I'll def look into those after 30DS!!

Thanks again Candeka!