3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Default Biking in the heat

When I was told that my office would be moving right down the street from my apartment, I decided I was going to start biking to work. I thought, "How hard could it be?"

Well, let me tell you. It was 1.63 miles with about 15/20 pounds of weight on my back. It was nice and cool out so I didn't really overheat. I didn't even begin sweating until the very last little bit.

You might be thinking, "Well, duh! You were carrying a backpack!" But see, I did it last summer with an additional 15 pounds of weight on my body plus the backpack. Yeah, it was hard but I made it...

I guess I'm out of practice but I won't lie, it was concerning. It's 30 degrees out now and will reach about 60. What happens when it reaches 80 and 90+? Should I still bike it? By then, will I be efficient enough to handle it? Thoughts?
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Do it!! Do you have access to showers where you work? That's the only thing that would concern me - depending on the nature of your job.

It takes a while to build stamina back. You'll be fine soon.

Lose 25lbs by 15 April (10 Mar)
Get to 100 kg (220) by 1 May (7 Apr)
Be 205 by race day - 14 July
One-derland by 1 Sept
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #3

S/C/G: 230/210/150

Height: 5'1"

When I biked to work I installed a bike rack so i didnt have to carry a backpack. I left toiletries at work and used some antibacterial soap and a washcloth to clean up, dry shampoo or baby powder for my hair, deodorant, makeup, and Was good to go. I gradually got used to the heat and would bike up to about 100 degrees but it was cooler without something on my back.

Ursula745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovedancelive View Post
When I was told that my office would be moving right down the street from my apartment, I decided I was going to start biking to work. I thought, "How hard could it be?"

Well, let me tell you. It was 1.63 miles with about 15/20 pounds of weight on my back. It was nice and cool out so I didn't really overheat. I didn't even begin sweating until the very last little bit.

You might be thinking, "Well, duh! You were carrying a backpack!" But see, I did it last summer with an additional 15 pounds of weight on my body plus the backpack. Yeah, it was hard but I made it...

I guess I'm out of practice but I won't lie, it was concerning. It's 30 degrees out now and will reach about 60. What happens when it reaches 80 and 90+? Should I still bike it? By then, will I be efficient enough to handle it? Thoughts?
Sweating is good for you. Just make certain to drink plenty of water. It rids your body of all the toxins. Sure you can do it when it's hotter--again drink water--and what I do is put my baseball hat in cold water in hot weather. It really helps to cool you down. You probably won't be able to do that when you head to work--but coming home why not? I am not certain why you're wearing 15 to 20 pounds in a backpack? If it's just for the extra benefit of the exercise--would you be able to drop some pounds out of your backpack in hotter weather?

Last edited by Kscott; 05-06-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote