Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Default Your thoughts on rest days?

I am relatively new(well...a year in) to the consistent exercise thing so I am rather unsure if what I'm doing is too much or not. I never really stopped to think that I should include more rest days because I have always been fat and I used to think that, of course, I should work out the maximum possible as anything less is laziness.

Recently though, I began actively training for a 5k at the end of May. I used to run 6 days a week, 1 mile every weekday and 2 miles on the weekend with Sunday off. I spent months working up to 1 mile and I know that 1 mile is relatively short so I felt ok doing it 5-6 days a week. I am now doing 2 miles and 3 miles alternatively 6 days a week and working up to 3 miles without any stops or walking.

Is this too much? I keep trying to listen to my body and I feel a-ok but I wonder if I should rest more, like a day off mid week as well as Sunday. I'm interested in everyone's thoughts and what their own routines are. I don't want to work my body into the ground without noticing it until it's too late.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I don't take rest days. BUT, I mix up the type of exercise I do extensively. IMO, and from some things I've read, a newbie runner should run no more then 4 days per week.

I would do more crosstraining.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #3  

I'm not particularly experienced, but I think rest days are as important as drinking your water. It's just something your body needs to function, repair, and be healthy. I can't give advice about the running, but I'd definitely advise sticking to at least one day a week off. If you feel fine doing six days, I say go for it. But if you feel your body needs some extra rest once in a while, don't push it.
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #4  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I take a 'rest day' every 8 or 9 days. I don't have a formal rest day. I just take a rest. Yesterday I didn't feel good, tummy issues...so I took a rest day. I actually had a 'rest day' from formal exercise on Sunday, too...

But...I coached rugby in the morning and then had 3 hours at one of those leisure pools with slides and waves and so forth with some of my teammates and our kids. Actually only two of us had kids and the three non-moms said they were EXHAUSTED. (My son and my teammate's daughter are exceptionally high energy). So, not sure that was really a rest day...more a low-intensity day.

Skellig19 - I completely agree with CherryPie. As a newish runner myself, starting training for a 10K in July soon - I will not be running more than 3-4 days a week. But I plan to continue with my 8th or 9th day rest day. I'll just do other stuff. Have you tried spin? Quite intense, and supports your running goals, but no pounding on your joints.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I should have mentioned I do about 30 - 45 minutes of moderately intense strength training 3x a week as well. With that I can tell right away when I need rests due to strained muscles the next morning!

I think I will incorporate a midweek rest day for running though. I do worry that I will go "backwards" with too much rest...like I won't be able to run as far or as long. Is that logical?
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/176/145

Height: 5'9"

I think it's a trial and error thing. I'd give yourself another rest day and see if it affects anything. If it does, you're great; if not, go back to six days a week
Sanveann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellig19 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. I should have mentioned I do about 30 - 45 minutes of moderately intense strength training 3x a week as well. With that I can tell right away when I need rests due to strained muscles the next morning!

I think I will incorporate a midweek rest day for running though. I do worry that I will go "backwards" with too much rest...like I won't be able to run as far or as long. Is that logical?
It intuitively seems logical, but I think you'll find in practice that you will be able to run FASTER, FURTHER and more EFFICIENTLY if you cut back!

That has been my experience - I run 4 days a week.

jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote