Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/175/105

Height: 5 foot 1 inch

Default hula-hooping?

my grandmother wants to get me a hula hoop, says it will help me lose belly fat.
but is it really possible to target fat in specific areas? don't you just have to deal with your body shape?
even when i was my "healthy" weight of 105, i had a bit of a pot-belly, so i think thats just where my body likes to store fat.

anyone do hula hooping? wanna tell me a bit about your experience with hula hooping for weightloss?
Alyssa Autopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I hoop. You don't lose "belly fat" but it does work your abdominals quite well so as you lose weight all over your stomach looks good (same way lifting weights will give you good arm definition.) I love hooping. I definitely sweat while doing it, I just put on music and hoop around my living room. I use it as just one of the things I do.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I hoop. You don't lose "belly fat" but it does work your abdominals quite well so as you lose weight all over your stomach looks good (same way lifting weights will give you good arm definition.) I love hooping. I definitely sweat while doing it, I just put on music and hoop around my living room. I use it as just one of the things I do.
neat. i'll have to figure out where i can do it though, my room is too small and the livingroom is awkward... and i really don't wanna do it outside where my neighbors can see me, i'll feel like a dweeb... but putting on music and just hopping for a while definitely sounds like it could be fun... and i am already good at it, i won a hooping contest when i was younger at a county fair :> probably take a bit to get into the swing of things due to my weight (i'm used to being a size 1, so being a size 17 is truly odd for me) being not what i'm used to, but i bet i'd get the hang of it quickly.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #4  

The only exercise I get from hooping is the constant bending over to pick it up from the floor!

Seriously, the things we could do when we are young we just take for granted!! I don't have the same coordination that I used to.

It's amazing for working out your core and does strengthen your middle area. I say go for it!
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
The only exercise I get from hooping is the constant bending over to pick it up from the floor!

Seriously, the things we could do when we are young we just take for granted!! I don't have the same coordination that I used to.

It's amazing for working out your core and does strengthen your middle area. I say go for it!
i'm just not used to so much weight, i literally gained 100 pounds in 18 months... my body still hasn't adjusted. when i try to jump rope or jog, i get intense pain in my feet, ankles, and shins. i'm 100% positive it is because my body is not used to supporting this much weight. riding my bike is harder too, i used to ride my bike to shoprite and back (total of 6 miles) just for a candybar... now going once around my development (1 mile) tires me out :< but i'm determined to drop weight and gain stamina.

the core is really the most important part of your body to work out, so that does sound like a good reason thanks for your input!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/215/160

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

My mom went out and bought a weighted hula hoop and when she told me about it I laughed. But now that I have thought about it, it seems like a fun and interesting idea. It seems like the things that were fun as a kid seem to be creeping back into my life as fun things to do to exercise. I'm tempted to go buy one too!!
gracie1887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

The first few weeks I had mine it fell all the time. To the point where the top of my foot got bruised because I'd stick my foot out to catch it when it fell. You really do need to keep your abs sucked in in order to keep it up.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #8  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to bump it up real quick. Sorry I didn't see it at first.

is it really possible to target fat in specific areas? No
don't you just have to deal with your body shape? Mostly from what I see
even when i was my "healthy" weight of 105, i had a bit of a pot-belly, so i think thats just where my body likes to store fat. Please remember that you're also a female. A female owns a uterus which creates a bit of a pouch. Here's a lil article on it: http://marcird.com/_blog/blog/post/D...e_Me_Look_Fat/. I also see on tumblr girls that don't look fat but once they added lifting, they had more ab definition than before.

Quote:
anyone do hula hooping? wanna tell me a bit about your experience with hula hooping for weightloss?
I've been hooping for 2 years now and it's changed my life. It's changed how I feel about my body and makes me want to be fitter (not just skinny). Now I know tons of people that have used hooping as a way to a fitter/thinner lifestyle. It's not guaranteed to give you killer abs. You'll want to get a hoop up to 2 lbs (not a walmart hoop). Anything heavier is dangerous. There are many hoop tutorials on youtube. The correct motion is a front to back motion. You'll want a hoop to your chest or more. My hoops are about 42" or bigger. It's fun and it will hopefully help your fitness. One of my friends with bad knees swears it saved her life! I know finances are tight for you. You could see if there is a local hoop maker in your area and see if they are willing to trade for a hoop (baked goods, helping them out, making something, dunno). I know some hoopers may be willing to do that in your case. Etsy is a really good place for cheaper quality hoops (hoop momma's is great!).

Here's an article I wrote for plus size hoopers: http://www.hooping.org/2012/02/for-t...rs-everywhere/
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote