Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default My Amazing Hubby Gave Me a Hula Hoop...

for my birthday today! He and the kids knew I wanted one, so they went and picked on up at Walmart!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-No...-Hoop/17299049 is the one they picked up for me!

I need to practice a lot...I kinda suck! BUT I did manage to get a total of 10 minutes of hooping in! I'm so excited! I really can't wait until I get really good!!

Top that off with the fact that I lose inches when I measured this morning, and I couldn't ask for a better birthday!!!

RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #2  

That looks awesome! I can't keep a hula hoop going to save my life, but maybe some time down the road haha. Happy birthday!
thinkfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #3  

I can't even tell you how many times I dropped it! But I am determined! I counted seconds while it was up, and of course stopped counting when it dropped. It's going to be a challenge for sure, to keep it up any real length of time at a stretch!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

If you are having trouble with that hoop, it most likely isn't your problem. Even with two years of hooping, that specific hoop is hard. It's too heavy and it's only one size. 38" is a middle ground of beginning hoop sizes but 42" is usually the best place to start. The smallest i go is 40".

Depending on your body build it will be a forward backward rocking motion(or side to side) and you'll have to move in speed with the hoop. Make sure that you are keeping your good posture. Don't be afraid to take up space with your body. And put umph in it. When it gets easier, you'll be able to make your movements smaller.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #5  

I'm 61 years old and grew up with hula hoops. I have always said they are great exercise!

Is there such a thing nowadays as just a plain ol' plastic hula hoop like we had back then? I would love to get my hands on one of those. Not interested in any of them that have weights.
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #6  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

I'm 55 and I too would love to do some hooping. I picked one up at Toys "R Us, not realizing it would be too small...it's only 34" and it plummets to the ground on a regular basis! Now you're saying the one at WalMart is also too small....hmmm. Does anyone have any ideas on where you can get a 40" one, as suggested by Daimere? Like SouthernMaven, I'd prefer one that isn't weighted, at least at first until I get the hang of it again. Thanks!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

Quote:
I'd prefer one that isn't weighted, at least at first until I get the hang of it again. Thanks
You don't want a hoop heavier than 2 pounds in most cases. But the larger the hoop, the slower the rotation, therefore no "extra weight" needed.

Here's a few retailers:
Hoopnotica (I now have all five DVDs. If you need a larger travel hoop, buy an extra connector and you have a mega large hoop! Two together can be a tandem hoop!): www.hoopnotica.com
BodyHoops: www.bodyhoops.com
TrooHoop (this is my favorite travel hoop): www.troohoops.com
Dube for poi, hoops or other things: www.dube.com
Hoopmommas: www.etsy.com/shop/HoopMamas (they will make hoops bigger than 42" because if you are wider like me, you may need the extra room!)

Yes these hoops are a little more expensive but they are SO much better quality. The gaffer tape helps the hoop stick to your body and you can trip/fall/bend these and they won't break 90% of the time.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimere View Post
You don't want a hoop heavier than 2 pounds in most cases. But the larger the hoop, the slower the rotation, therefore no "extra weight" needed.

Here's a few retailers:
Hoopnotica (I now have all five DVDs. If you need a larger travel hoop, buy an extra connector and you have a mega large hoop! Two together can be a tandem hoop!): www.hoopnotica.com
BodyHoops: www.bodyhoops.com
TrooHoop (this is my favorite travel hoop): www.troohoops.com
Dube for poi, hoops or other things: www.dube.com
Hoopmommas: www.etsy.com/shop/HoopMamas (they will make hoops bigger than 42" because if you are wider like me, you may need the extra room!)

Yes these hoops are a little more expensive but they are SO much better quality. The gaffer tape helps the hoop stick to your body and you can trip/fall/bend these and they won't break 90% of the time.
Thank you, Dahimere! Appreciate this information so much!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #9  
Hooping my Life Away

Since I didn't want to make this thread 10 pages long, I made a thread on all the information you'll ever need to get into hooping.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #10  

I used my hoop for 10 minutes yesterday and I am very bruised feeling! It hurts. I actually was unable to hoop today because it is painful. Boo!!!

I'm going to check out your hooping thread.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #11  
Susan

S/C/G: 200/170/130

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks, Daimere...that information (and the info on your blog) is very helpful!
Tuscany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #12  
05/01/2023

S/C/G: 232.6/232.6/150

Height: 5'6"

You have an awesome husband. Your hoop sounds like fun! I ordered some 3/4" 160 psi poly tubing and couplings from Lowes a few days ago so I could make some hoops. The tubing is expensive but I should be able to make a few hoops with it. I'm also going to make one for my mom for Mother's Day. We are diet buddies so I think she would like one too. I'm going to order some tape as soon as I get paid on Friday. I'm getting blue and purple gaffers tape and a roll of metallic silver tape. I've been wanting to make a hoop for a few years now but always felt that the materials were too expensive. On Friday, it was so nice and warm outside that I wish I had a hoop to mess around with so I took the plunge and ordered the materials. I could have just bought a hoop off Etsy but it would have been something like $30 for one hoop where as the materials cost me $50 and I will probably be able to make around 7 or 8 hoops. Then I can start out at a larger size and make smaller hoops when I get more experienced at hooping. Sorry for going on and on but I'm excited and can't wait to get my tubing in the mail.
AllyG47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 278.8/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I bought a sports hula hoop from amazon. A 3 lb one, and after a few days of enthusiastic hooping I have some bruising going on. Oh the carnage! I've actually bought a bigger proper hoop from etsy, so I'm hoping to have better luck with that one. Thanks Daimere for all your posts! They've been rather helpful and I wish I had read them before I bought my first hoop.
megmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #14  

I just blogged about my first hooping experience and added photos. Daimere, I had to put a thank you on my blog post to you as well! I'm following you and think I will get a lot of helpful tips and advice from you!

I'm a Hooper!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #15  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Very cool! Have fun!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote