Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #1  

Default 1st Day-Couch to 5K-I'm a runner!

Ok, maybe I am not a runner yet!!!

This was the first time in 20 years that I ran more than 2 steps and it was awesome!! Well, maybe it was more of a leisurely jog!

I was so petrified to start this program in case my husband came home to me dead on the floor on the first day. But so far, I'm still here!

I hope this counts, since I didn't really know what I was doing.

All the walking was done at 3.0mph which is 20 mins. per mile. The running/jogging part I did was at 3.8mph which is 15.47mins. per mile. I was afraid to push myself too hard plus I didn't trust that my legs would even know what to do.

I was definitely sweating my butt off and moving pretty good. I am going to follow the schedule of 3 days a week and hope I can make it to the end. I am determined to make this mini-goal. Then I will work on running outside which I think will be harder.

I'm so excited, you have no idea! This made me feel like a million dollars that I was strong enough to do this, even if it was slow.

Thank you to all of you who were so helpful on the other thread!!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #2  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Yay Elvis!!! This is awesome. I hope to do this in the future as well. I need to start by just walking every day.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 262/238/150

Great job!! Keep it up.

I start week two today.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #4  

Thanks Rodeogirl!! I went from not being able to walk to my mailbox and back (like 20 feet) without feeling out of breathe and gross to being able to walk anywhere from 2-5 miles a day. I worked up from just doing 10 minutes walking a day to now doing anywhere from 45-120 mins a day. I'm so glad my body forgave me.

Awesome, Beewidget!! How did you feel after doing the 3 days last week? I'm so neurotic about keeping a schedule, I think I am going to do every other day vs. 3 days a week. I don't want to have 2 days off in a row. What speeds do you do? Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm so excited!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #5  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Good for you!!!
One of my goals is to do the c25k, but I'm not mentally ready to start just yet lol
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #6  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

elvislover - Good for you! Please don't worry about speed!!! The c25K is just to get your body - and your mind - used to running. You will naturally get a bit faster as you go along anyway.

I think every other day is a great plan, but if something comes up you'll still be on track!

Mozzy - what are you waiting for?? C25K is about getting yourself mentally prepared to be a runner. Not that I think everyone should run, but if you want to do it - Do it!!! I see you're in Georgia. Better to start it now than in a couple of months. (Tried to find a little smily for sweating buckets, but didn't see one.)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #7  

Seriously Mozzy!! You inspire me to do so much and I am chasing you down in onederland soon!! I say do it!!!

Thank you, AlmostMe. I get so worried and caught up in the wrong details!!

I am seriously so excited. You all have NO idea!!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 238/198/158

Height: 5'8"

Way to go. The first step is the hardest! I will say that I started C25k back at the end of January and I could barely do the 1st week without wanting to die. Here I am 8+ weeks later and I run 3 miles without stopping. It's still work, but I actually feel like a runner now!

My tip is to take it slow. If I wasn't ready to move on to a week I'd repeat a run until I was. I occasionally would repeat a day and do 4 in a week, but never more than that. I don't know if I love running, but I love how I feel after I'm done.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #9  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm starting this (again) tomorrow. I've only done the first day a few times as I never got into the swing of it, but I kind of just promised myself and others I would run a 5k at my HS reunion time in late June.

So... we can start this together, OK? I was just now... like a minute ago, finding my earphones for the phone so I can hear the prompts on the treadmill tomorrow at the gym!

Way to go you! I'm sure you can hardly believe it's YOU who are doing this!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #10  
sun

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

woohoo gooo you! I am on week 6 day 2 and I love it!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #11  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Elvis that is awesome! I am working up to the C25K and plan on starting it soon.

Last edited by Silverfire; 03-27-2013 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #12  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Fabulous! C25K is an awesome program!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'2

Good job!

I'm starting C25K next week! I was supposed to start this week but was hit with a bad stomach bug.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #14  

So excited to read these replies!! Day 2 is complete, so THAT really makes me a real runner LOL!! I had walked almost 5 miles yesterday so I was a bit sore today but it was awesome!! I switch to the run on the prompt but I don't look at the clock right away so by the time I do, half the run time is over! I know it's going to get harder real quick but I feel an awesome sense of accomplishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apriljoiex View Post
Way to go. The first step is the hardest! I will say that I started C25k back at the end of January and I could barely do the 1st week without wanting to die. Here I am 8+ weeks later and I run 3 miles without stopping. It's still work, but I actually feel like a runner now!

My tip is to take it slow. If I wasn't ready to move on to a week I'd repeat a run until I was. I occasionally would repeat a day and do 4 in a week, but never more than that. I don't know if I love running, but I love how I feel after I'm done.
Thanks so much for the advice, apriljoiex! And congrats on running 3 miles, that's amazing...I hope I do as well as you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
I'm starting this (again) tomorrow. I've only done the first day a few times as I never got into the swing of it, but I kind of just promised myself and others I would run a 5k at my HS reunion time in late June.

So... we can start this together, OK? I was just now... like a minute ago, finding my earphones for the phone so I can hear the prompts on the treadmill tomorrow at the gym!

Way to go you! I'm sure you can hardly believe it's YOU who are doing this!
This is great, Melissa!! My husband was going to do it the same time as me but his work schedule has been crazy lately. I started without him as I get a little OCD when I want to do something and I didn't want to wait for him (he's fine with it, he will start when he can). I'm only on day 2 today so you and I will be almost exactly in the same place. This is going to be awesome! And you are right, I can't believe I am "running" even if it's only at a minute at a time! It's the most I ever officially ran in my life. I did sports in high school 20 years ago but it was basketball, tennis and softball so there is running in the sports but not real running, if that makes any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
woohoo gooo you! I am on week 6 day 2 and I love it!
Awesome, sun!! I can't wait to be more than half way through and I just started!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Elvis that is awesome! I am working up to the C25K and plan on starting it soon.
Silverfire, do it with me and Melissa! And we have to convince Mozzy to jump on the C25K train with us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Fabulous! C25K is an awesome program!

I'm so excited, Novus, in case you can't tell!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Fruitcake View Post
Good job!

I'm starting C25K next week! I was supposed to start this week but was hit with a bad stomach bug.
Hope you feel better, Angelic Fruitcake! You won't be that far behind so our progress should be about the same!!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #15  
sun

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Closed Thread