Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlthgrl View Post
Question for you all...does anyone currently use a Garmin or other device like that to check their pace. I realize I'm just starting out but I plan to stick with this and am looking for reviews from people who actually use the products.
I don't have a Garmin but the C25K app on my iPhone calculates my pace. So I know I'm really really slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislover324 View Post
C25K W5D3 is DONE, DONE, DONE!! And omg, it was the hardest yet. But I survived.
Omg congrats!!!! W5D3 is scaring me, I can't believe I'm supposed to be able to run 20 minutes non stop in less than a week!

Quote:
p.s. My run/walk distance is only 1.79 miles since I run so slow but I'm sure I will be improving that in the future to get closer to a real 5K.
I'm only a little bit faster. I did 2.03 miles yesterday, my pace while running was 13:33 min. per mile! It doesn't help that I have super short legs! My best pace ever so far is 11:51 per mile.

I went out to do W4D3 yesterday afternoon with the jogging stroller. After the first three minutes of running I hit a wall. I just could.not.continue. I felt so bad. And then the baby started crying so I just went back home. I tried again I the evening, this time without the stroller. Again, I thought I was going to die after the first three minutes... But I pushed through it and it suddenly started to go better during the first five minute stretch. I was so proud when I finished! I'm going to try and start W5 on Saturday or Sunday.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #137  

Height: 5'2''

Kitcherella Can I ask - did you happen to loose any significant amount of weight (5 lbs or more) while doing the nine weeks of c25k?
MSEMDEE I am looking forward to your w5d3 report! I think you will nail it!
elvislover324 Wow wow wow! You did it! You took a HUGE step towards mind over matter. I believe running can be classified as a mental sport (not crazy ), because it requires a lot of will and a lot of pushing against what your body tries to tell you (like stop and let me relax, damn you!).
Changergirl I actually am worried about the weather going bad ( in the autumn) and me not being able to go out and run. I run outside (past my old kindergarten! and my old school! and an ex-boyfriends's place ) I have tried running on a treadmill but i cannot pace myself, cannot find the right speed to run/jog at. Great job on week4! I'm still on week3 and i am afraid with missing one week now to go to Austria i will kind of be left behind the pack and wont have anyone to talk to in the final weeks
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #138  

Basementcat, I'll still be here after the 9 weeks! I know it'll take me more than 30 minutes to run the full 5k so when I'm done with week 9, I'll have to work on actually getting to 5K, and then I want to work on getting some speed. So I'll be here a while!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #139  

Angelic Fruitcake You overachiever! i am looking forward to it!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #140  

Well I have an actual 5K to run in September and I don't want to finish last!

Last edited by Angelic Fruitcake; 04-26-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 PM   #141  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

basementcat - I did lose weight while on the programme even though my eating wasn't always great but I couldn't tell you how much. What I can tell you for sure is that now that I run 3 times a week (50 min each) I have lost pounds, inches and all inhibition. I proudly wear tights. (never before in my life)
Old 04-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #142  

I'll be here a lot longer than the 9 weeks too so no one has to leave our thread! I'm very goal oriented so I want to plan on the 9 weeks getting done. Then it's the fine-tuning to get my speed and efficiency up!

Does anyone else have sore ribs from this? My ribs are killing me today (I suck my stomach in while jogging so it was 20 minutes straight today). I feel like I got a beating!

I was thinking too, I hope this program isn't stalling my weightloss. I mean, my clothes fit so much better now but I want to see it on the scale too. But there is no way I'm quitting this program to find out.

Last edited by elvislover324; 04-26-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #143  

Kitcherella - the tights bit motivated me more than you can imagine! Most comfortable piece of clothing anyone has ever designed!
Hey, elvislover324, i am not so sure its all that normal to have sore ribs after running? Sore abs maybe, if you suck them in real tight, but ribs? Have you bumped your ribs anywhere? Or maybe the weather is changing and you are feeling it in the bones?
Old 04-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #144  

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementcat View Post
Hey, elvislover324, i am not so sure its all that normal to have sore ribs after running? Sore abs maybe, if you suck them in real tight, but ribs? Have you bumped your ribs anywhere? Or maybe the weather is changing and you are feeling it in the bones?
OMG I have abs under all this?! LOL yes I meant my abs. When I touch where it's sore I can feel my ribs (!!) and I typed that by mistake. These newly found bones and muscle overwhelm me sometimes!!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #145  

Guys, I'm thinking of doing something crazy, but I'm not sure I should.

There's a 5K in my hometown (where my mom still lives) mid-June and I'm thinking of signing up. The 5K I've been training for is in September and it seems so far away. But I'm scared I won't be ready in June. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to run 5K by then, but I'm sure I'll still be painfully slow. I checked last year's results and the slowest in the 30-39 age group came in at 48:30 and I'm not sure I'll be able to go faster than that! I know it shouldn't be important, I should just be proud of finishing, but I don't want to finish last!

On the other hand, training for something in June would be very exciting and motivating I think... I don't know.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #146  

elvislover324 - maybe that's the feeling of getting your abs nice and toned? I wouldn't know
Angelic Fruitcake I think you should go for it! With such a short period of time to train for it, you will be a hero even if you finish last, so go go!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #147  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

elvislover324 - 4 mph gets my heart pounding and I probably couldn't do it longer than the minute required in week one. But as long as I'm walking slowly in between I seem to be okay.

Going to do W1D3 later today.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #148  

S/C/G: 208.6/185/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Fruitcake View Post

There's a 5K in my hometown (where my mom still lives) mid-June and I'm thinking of signing up. The 5K I've been training for is in September and it seems so far away. But I'm scared I won't be ready in June. I'm pretty confident I'll be able to run 5K by then, but I'm sure I'll still be painfully slow. I checked last year's results and the slowest in the 30-39 age group came in at 48:30 and I'm not sure I'll be able to go faster than that! I know it shouldn't be important, I should just be proud of finishing, but I don't want to finish last!

On the other hand, training for something in June would be very exciting and motivating I think... I don't know.
Do it!!!! You know you can! Before I started the running program I'm in I had already committed to doing several 5k races over the summer and into the fall. It's helping me stick with it.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #149  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic Fruitcake View Post

I say do it!! I think you posting here and considering it means that you really want to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementcat View Post
elvislover324 - maybe that's the feeling of getting your abs nice and toned? I wouldn't know
LMAO, maybe that's why I didn't recognize it either! I never had abs before!! I was sore yesterday too but today is a bit better. I only feel them when I suck in my stomach now. But really, I was so sore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychic View Post
elvislover324 - 4 mph gets my heart pounding and I probably couldn't do it longer than the minute required in week one. But as long as I'm walking slowly in between I seem to be okay.

Going to do W1D3 later today.
4.0 would kill me! Somehow mentally and physically 3.8 doesn't seem as bad so I'm sticking with it for now. Good luck today! I'm glad I take the weekends off now, I actually look forward to my M/W/F schedule now. But I still workout every day just because I like staying in the habit.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #150  

I did W5D1 today and it went well! It's amazing the change I've seen between week 1 and now! A month ago I had a hard time finishing 1 minute of running and today I did 3x 5 minutes and it wasn't that hard! I'm still not sure I'm going to be able to finish the whole 20 minutes later this week, but we'll see.

As for the 5K, I'm still undecided. I looked at last year's results and the slowest in the 30-39 group finished around 45 minutes. Right now, I'm not sure I'll be able to do that, I'm so painfully slow. I know it shouldn't matter as long as I finish, but I have this image of my fat self finishing like 5-10 minutes after everyone else and I just don't want that to happen. So I'll keep on training for a few weeks and we'll see how it goes...
Closed Thread