Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Default Runnin Breathing Help?

I'm 4 weeks into my Zombies, Run 5k training and I love it. I can now run up to about 2 minutes nonstop. The rest of my body is willing to go further, but my lungs are not cooperating! I get really out of breath, on the verge of hyperventilating kind of way.

Do y'all have any pointers for me? Is there a type of breathing exercise I could do? Or a certain way I should breathe when running?

Thanks for any and all advice!!!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

You are running way too fast - slow down!!! You'll find it easier to run longer too!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

I agree....slow down. As you run more, you'll pick up speed and your breathing will get better.
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/135.8/13?

Height: 5'6"

Hey, I'm not really a runner, but I got through about half of couch to 5 k a year ago and learned a lot about breathing in the process. Learning breath control was a huge thing for me, and it helps with all types of workouts.

Anyway, when I tried running I looked up tips and found this article. It suggests starting with a normal walk, being really careful about keeping even, deep breaths and paying attention to the number of strides per breath. Then you speed up the walk, keeping your breath the same, then finally start jogging with the same breath pattern. What I found worked really well was to focus on my breath during a 5 min walking warm up, then I could transition into jogging without loosing my pattern. After a while it became second nature and even though I don't really run often anymore, it helps me with other cardio, as well as weightlifting. Hope that helps, and have fun running from those zombies
flashfacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryPie99 View Post
You are running way too fast - slow down!!! You'll find it easier to run longer too!
Yep, that's the reason why you get breathless...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #6  

LoL! I'm actually a VERY slow runner. (I'm embarrassed to say that I am winded when I am actually jogging rather than running.)

I feel like I if I go in any slower I will be back to walking fast...

I feel so incapable of this!
Old 02-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Well, what's wrong with walking fast? I simply do not understand why people jump to running so quickly when it is so hard on the body with lots of extra weight and walking fast can take you into the same aerobic zone?

I've been walking as part of my exercise regime (when the weather cooperates) for 2 years. I can walk sub 14 minute miles (first mile is usually a bit over 14 minute miles, 2nd and 3rd are under 14 minute miles and if I want to do more, I slow down bit by bit on the 4th mile to cool down).

When I'm walking under sub 14 minute miles, my heartrate is around 155-165 (depending on hills or not).

I will only start running when I can no longer walk fast enough to get my heart rate high.

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 02-18-2013 at 07:14 PM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #8  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

It's a huge punch in the gut to pride to realize you have to run super slow, but it helps to build up from a slow jog instead of getting knackered after 2 minutes.

Also being a beginner is just HARD for some people, it took me like 3 months to be able to run 10 minutes straight without walking.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Height: 5'4"

Breathing plays an integral role in running, just like it does in many exercises.

The key to get it down for running is to take loonngggg, deep breathes. Inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Inhaling through your nose gives you more control over your breathe and I think you will find that it will be easier to manage a comfortable pace when you get the breathing down.

When you start to breathe heavy through your mouth, it almost gives you a false-sense of fatigue. So if you train yourself to correct your breathing when this happens you will see a huge difference!

The other benefits of proper breathing: it prevents many cramps and improves running posture! You'll feel like a new runner
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #10  
Trying to get healthy

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'1

I sometimes will chew a piece of gum...it kind of helps me with remembering how to breathe
butterflyphreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #11  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

The advice on here is great: Slow Down, first of all. When I did C25K, I was jogging at a speed slower than what I could have walked briskly; my jogging was more of a boosted walk. Also don't be afraid to breathe through your mouth, but deeply and from your belly though, not shallow panting breaths as the latter will tire you out and give you that "I can't breathe" feeling. With the breathing, I find it helps if you get into a rhythm with your steps; that sort of helps with remembering to breathe. Like butterflyphreek, I also chew gum sometimes as well.

Most important though, slow down, keep your chest up and practice your breathing. Don't worry about speed for now, it will come.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #12  

Thanks for the advice! I will try the breathing technique and see how it improves things.

There is really no "reason" I want to run other than I want to prove to myself that I can do it. It is a goal I have and I "want" to be able to run a 5k one day.

I can walk a 13 minute mile, which is a great improvement from not being able to do a whole mile in 28 minutes! I have gotten faster and built my endurance in just a month and a half, so that pleases me.

Again, thank you all!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #13  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I've learned that if the first mile or two don't feel really slow, I'm starting out too fast, and I'm going to pay for it later. I've also found that the runs where I have the discipline to start that slow are usually my best runs. I don't run out of energy and start to slow down. Speed and distance will come. Or so I'm told. I'm still pretty darn slow, but then again 6 months ago I couldn't run for 60 seconds and I'm running a half marathon on Sunday.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #14  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I agree slow down just a bit get a rhythm,keep goin you will go faster if both feet are lifting off the ground in a forward motion you are running!( hope that made sense)
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

The absolute best advice I got when learning to run was this - Run so slow that you feel like you're not moving. When you get there, slow down more.

It totally worked. Started out running a 16 minute mile and now I routinely run 8 minute miles! In a 1 1/2 year time span!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote