How much weight should you lose on average?

• I've been wondering so now I'm asking. A while back (until I hurt my foot) I started faithfully walking on a treadmill. I walked for a total of 4 months. My regimen was:
    Monday: Off
    Tuesday: 2 miles
    Wednesday: 2 miles
    Thursday 2 miles
    Friday: Off
    Saturday: 10 miles
    Sunday: 7 miles
    My pace was consistently between 3.5 and 3.7 mph.

It did take me a month and a half to work up to this regimen, and in the entire 4 months I lost only 20 lbs. In addition to excercise I was strictly watching what I was eating. Seems to me I should have shed more than 20 lbs (I had another good 20-30lbs that I could have lost). Is my thinking right, or was I just wanting to drop the weight too quickly? Anyone have an opinion?
  • I wish I could tell you that yes, the pounds should have just melted, but each of us loses at a different pace. And there are so many variables such as how many calories you consumed each day, are you carb sensitive, etc. Exercise can help with dieting, but from my own experience and what I've read from other posts on here, it won't make you lose weight by itself.

Now, personally, I'd be celebrating 20 pounds off. That's an average of 5 pounds a month. That's a good steady weight loss. By the end of a year, that's 60 pounds and it sure beats gaining 20 pounds!

So, congratulations on your weight loss and developing a walking program you're comfortable with. Good for you!
  • It seems reasonable given your exercise without knowing your diet.

Good luck on your journey and continued success!