Is running and dieting enough?

• Has anyone gotten to their goal weight by dieting and running alone? I try to run 30 to 40 minutes at least 4 days a week. Also, my legs never get sore after I run, should I run more? I always run on at least a 3 incline. Sometimes I run on a 5 or 6 incline for a little while. Is this enough?
  • You may be able to get to your goal weight that way, but you may not get the body composition you are looking for. I got to my goal weight (120) by counting calories and running, but I wasn't happy with the way my body looked afterward. That is why I am doing weight training to build muscle now.

Every body is different - if you enjoy it and it's working for you, then stick with it. If you find that over time it becomes less effective, or if you are like me and decide you want to achieve more muscle, then you can adjust as needed.
  • Okay! Good, I am just happy that I can get to my goal weight this way. How long did it take you go get there?
  • I would play with your speed more if you can't incorporate some strength training (even some pushups and bodyweight squats would help mix things up a little.

Try a speed workout. Set the incline around 1.0 and run as fast as you can for 20 seconds, rest for 10, repeat about 8 times. If all you're doing is running playing with incline is great but the more variety you can add the better. Plus, it spices things up a little. Even long distance runners throw in sprints and speed drills once in a while. Also, it keeps your body guessing and the stronger and leaner you get the faster you will run.

Another great workout I love is to run for 3 minutes at your desired "faster" pace and then recover for 2 minutes. Repeat 5 times. The next week or so run that pace for 4 minutes and recover for 2. The next week 5 minutes and recover for 2. By the end of the month you should be able to run 20 minutes at your faster pace.
  • Kassi,

It took me about 8 months to get to my goal weight. Then I worked on maintaining that for over two years. Now I am working on getting fitter and leaner. I haven't dropped much weight, because I am building muscle which is denser... and I am happy with that.
  • I'm going to say yes. I have lost over 100lbs in over 6 months. 95% of my exercise comes from walking.

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android