Where to start? Help!

• Hi

I have decided I want to start working out... xD again.
    I think my biggest issue with working out is that I get BORED, even with music.

So, I really don't know where to start. My neighborhood has no sidewalks, so running out on the streets is out of the question. I hate gyms because I feel SO ebarrased of showing my big being where everyone is fit (because sadly I'm usually the only fat person).
    Another issue is that I go to college, and I will start working soon, so my time is quite limited.

So, what can I do? Because I can't sit on my chair playing games on my computer all day, I mean I am just going to gain weight that way.

Any advice? =/
  • I bought a cheap (50 bucks, plus the cost of a bolt to fix it) Elliptical from Kijiji, I have been pretty good about getting on it 5 days a week, for a minimum of 15 min (after a cardio warm up too)

Check out you tube for workout videos. There are soooo many of them, you are bound to find something you enjoy. I like Fitness Blender right now, they have so many videos, at a bunch of different levels (stuff that I can actually do!)

You can cram some exercise into 30 minutes a day! You can even find exercises to do while your playing games at the computer I bet

I have seen little pedal sets that you can use under your desk, looks pretty neat.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-F.../dp/B0016BQFV0

Maybe think about a standing desk, then at least your not just sitting all the time!
    http://ergonomics.about.com/od/offic...nding-Desk.htm

Good Luck! You will find something that works for you!
  • As I see it you have three options:

1. Don't work out and give up.
    2. Get through being the fat person at the gym (not "get over" because it's real and difficult).
    3. Find something that you will stick to at home.

It sounds like you've decided that #1 is not an option for you. Good for you! It's not an option for me too.

I think you CAN get through #2 if this is something you want to do. You'll quickly learn that no one cares what size you are at the gym and we're all more interested in ourselves. You could always start with a workout class (like Jazzercize or some such). But if the social anxiety is going to prevent you from working out, then this might not be the choice for you (right now).

That leaves us with #3. There are tons of things you can do at home. It depends on what you like. Maybe it's buying a stationary bike or maybe it's doing a crazy mix of workout videos but you need to find out what works for you! So what do you think you'd like to try?
  • Now before everyone has a go at me this is meant in the best possible way.....

I notice you put in caps BORED up at the top, you then list what are negative reasons i.e excuses for not exercising.

Are your reasons for not exercising a way to justify you not wanting to do it because you get bored?

Moving swiftly on from awkward questions. You have as Jess pointed out the 3 options.

you say you no have sidewalks, are there no parks? you don't mention a weight if you dont' have a huge amount to lose (50kg or less) you can get a bike and cycle on the roads.

Skipping (jump rope) can be done at home and is excellent work out.

If your at college you can study and train i used to sit on an exercise bike for an hour and read text books (big hardback 500 page ones) plus the usual stuff if you drive park farthest away and walk in get off the bus stop or two early etc, stairs not elevator.

A Final word on gyms. a good gym a proper gym a gym you should be looking for will be full of people who would NOT give a **** about what your doing because they will be there to train themselves. I once saw a really huge guy drop his weights and rush over to help a young bloke on a bench with under 50lb on the bar. His departing comment was don't worry kid you'll get there we all started somewhere.
  • Quote: Hi

I have decided I want to start working out... xD again.
    I think my biggest issue with working out is that I get BORED, even with music.
    I totally understand the boredom aspect of exercise because it's the number one reason why I hate running. I'd rather be bored and sedentary than bored and suffering while on the run. Unfortunately, every sport I like to do requires running endurance so it's a necessary evil for me and something I'm learning to get over.

Your best bet is finding a workout video/class that does short intervals of varied exercises because that'll mix things up for you and help with the boredom. There's tons of videos you can do at home as well as classes that are offered at gyms. Or you can try going to a park to run there instead of down the street.

As for being the only fat person at the gym...I get that as well. I live in a very thin town and can count on one hand the number of none-skinny people I've seen on a bike in the four years I've lived here (it's also a bike-fanatical town and I like to ride my bike amongst the skinnies...sometimes I even pass them).

I felt pretty embarrassed the first time I tried running down the street because my "run" called for jogging for a minute and walking for two. I felt like such a pansy and thought everyone was looking at me and criticizing my workout plan, like "There goes the fat girl, pretending to work out to lose weight." But then I realized that no one really cares about anyone else at the gym or on a run, since we're all suffering ourselves and focused on our own workouts.

It'll definitely take some getting used to but I think you can do it. With that said, I still never use the treadmill because I hate the loud thunking sound I make every time I take a step while running on it. I'm seriously afraid I'm going to break it. So some things you may not get over, like me and the dreadmill.