Body image, depression and motivation

• I've been working with a personal trainer who gets me to do all these wonderful things with kettle bells and vipr thingies and circuits. But I always feel such a fool doing those things without her around. Like with her driving me I don't think about anyone else.

Today I parked my car at the gym, went for a run (outside) and fully intended to go in and do circuits after. But I just couldn't face it. I've been feeling really down about myself and just didn't feel I could expose my body to the gym floor. Last week I felt the same way and had a miserable workout. This week I actually did some weight lifting on the machines - so I was nice and hidden away, so at least it wasn't a wasted journey.

I've gotten over my fear of running outside. My gym is not a mean place, I've NEVER had a bad experience there - in the years of my membership. I just feel like a fraud doing the plyometrics stuff. Funny thing is, I actually have a reason to train now as I've joined a sports team (women's rugby - all shapes welcome!)... and I have every confidence that my trainer is right that moving exercises are conditioning for sport than single motion weight machines.

How do others get past this kinda block??
  • I totally get that.

For me, it's just faking it. It's a lot of self-talk that "I am training to be strong. I need to be here to become stronger. I am Xenia Warrior Princess."

Honestly, most of the time I don't FEEL that way, but I repeat it over and over to myself. And then, one day, BOOM flipped switch and I believe it. I assume you did something similar to get into a position to run outside. I just recently overcame that battle (I ONLY ran on the treadmill because somehow running on the treadmill was cozy and other people wouldn't "see" me) and I had to do it will a lot of "This is my mission. I am here for a purpose."