3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Pain on the left side of my chest during cardio

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29

Default Pain on the left side of my chest during cardio

Hi,

I decided that I wanted to make a change in my life when I found that I weighed 97.4 kgs. According to my height I should be between 53kg to 62kg at most. So yeah, I had a problem. I went the bought an elliptical trainer and started to make steps to change my diet slowly and work out.

Things went well the first week, great in fact and the second week too, though I did start to notice that when I really got into it and pushed to work hard there was a dull ache in the left side of my chest. I would slow down and the pain would recede a bit. Last week it seems to be getting worse. Whenever I try and push a bit harder to get myself working hard it starts and to be honest it's a little scary.

I am getting a heart rate monitor this week, but I am still a little unsure. I know I should see a doctor but I really hate going and I have a feeling I'll end up having to see more then one and it is costly. Part of me is also a bit worried they might tell me to stop exercising and I don't want to, I don't want to get discouraged now that I am working at losing weight and seeing some results.

I really just wanna know if anyone has any advice or insights, I don't really have anyone else to ask about it.
j9nightelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
I'm listening...
 
losermom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chilly MN
Posts: 1,201

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Default

Nightelf, chest pain is too big of a risk! Please see a doctor asap. It's possible it may turn out to be nothing, but it may save your life. Please see a doctor.
__________________


losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Enjoying la bella vita
 
nationalparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,588

S/C/G: 179/166/150

Height: 5-4

Default

Agree with above poster - this is a great site for support but for medical advice don't go to a website, go to a doctor. A monitor doesn't diagnose anything, though - be careful and don't delay.
__________________

Last edited by nationalparker : 01-21-2013 at 09:54 AM.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
straightahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: US
Posts: 173

S/C/G: 210/174.2/TBD

Height: 5'2

Default

I agree with the above posters...it is always a good idea to talk to your dr about exercise programs, and especially if feeling discomfort. If there is something wrong, it would probably be less costly to catch and treat it early. the heart is nothing to gamble with.




Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
__________________


All-Time High: 226 lbs. Restart: 1/6/13 at 210 lbs
Step #1: 200 (5%); Step #2: 189 (10%); Step #3: 163 ("overweight" BMI); Step #4: Set Healthy Weight Goal
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Becomming a Monster
 
slimmingsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Uk
Posts: 1,320

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9nightelf View Post
I know I should see a doctor but I really hate going and I have a feeling I'll end up having to see more then one and it is costly. Part of me is also a bit worried they might tell me to stop exercising and I don't want to,
Firstly go see a doctor, yea i may cost but you can't take it with you....

Secondly if you nearly 2x your lowest ideal weight as you say, then they will not tell you to stop exercising. If there is an issue that needs treatment they will get you professional advice on how to exercise a give you required supervision.

You have made the effort to clean up your eating and do some exercise off of your own initiative, i doubt you'd find a doctor in the world who wouldn't be happy about this.

P.s you should always seek medical advice before starting any exercise program.
__________________
To infinity and beyond!
Target
Goal

Last edited by slimmingsi : 01-21-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: typos
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Lifelong Alaskan!
 
alaskanlaughter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Posts: 2,636

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by j9nightelf View Post
Hi,

I decided that I wanted to make a change in my life when I found that I weighed 97.4 kgs. According to my height I should be between 53kg to 62kg at most. So yeah, I had a problem. I went the bought an elliptical trainer and started to make steps to change my diet slowly and work out.

Things went well the first week, great in fact and the second week too, though I did start to notice that when I really got into it and pushed to work hard there was a dull ache in the left side of my chest. I would slow down and the pain would recede a bit. Last week it seems to be getting worse. Whenever I try and push a bit harder to get myself working hard it starts and to be honest it's a little scary.

I am getting a heart rate monitor this week, but I am still a little unsure. I know I should see a doctor but I really hate going and I have a feeling I'll end up having to see more then one and it is costly. Part of me is also a bit worried they might tell me to stop exercising and I don't want to, I don't want to get discouraged now that I am working at losing weight and seeing some results.

I really just wanna know if anyone has any advice or insights, I don't really have anyone else to ask about it.
you will definitely have to stop exercising when you are dead from a heart attack....please get this checked out in case it's something major
__________________
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Gettin' it done!
 
amandie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Near St. Louis
Posts: 2,801

S/C/G: HW- 242 Restart SW:166 7/24/14

Height: a little over 5'2

Default

I'm so glad other people replied. I saw this last night and really did not know what to say other than "go see a doctor." It is possible that you pulled a muscle but it being on the left side, it's nothing to mess around with. I may have to see a doctor too about a possible hernia and I'm scared if I go, that they will tell me that I have to stop working out and/or have to have surgery so I completely understand that you don't wanna lose the momentum that you have going right now but.... Better safe than sorry.
__________________


Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.- Winston Churchill
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
I love tea!
 
Skellig19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 243

S/C/G: 296.4/173.4/155

Height: 5'10

Default

I have experienced something similar and it has gone away for me (after numerous negative tests from my doctor). I have a feeling my problem is not my heart but my esophagous/stomach issues. Do see a doctor. If you're not comfortable with your regular doctor, go to the ER. They have direct access to chest specialists whereas most GP's don't (in Canada anyway). You can also go to a clinic. They can at least listen to your heart to make sure you're not in immediate danger.

Good luck!! Hope it all works out.
__________________
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 29

Default

Hi,

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I know it seems pretty stupid to ask about something like this and I admit you have all just confirmed what I myself thought, but I just thought I'd see anyway.

I know it seems silly to worry about the cost when it could be something serious but I have not got any kind of medical aid and so it will really be expensive, but I know it needs to be done. I just have no idea where to start. I guess I gotta make an appoint with a GP and see where it goes from there.

Thanks again and sorry for sounding so crazy. I kinda feel like my efforts to be healthier have been thwart but I am glad that I found this now and maybe not later when it could be even worse.

Thanks

Janine
j9nightelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Ilene the Bean
 
Ilene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 11,758

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
you will definitely have to stop exercising when you are dead from a heart attack....please get this checked out in case it's something major
DOUBLE ditto on that comment... See a doctor no matter what the price your life is precious!!
__________________
I l e n e
Falling down is not failure....Failure is staying down.

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
straightahead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: US
Posts: 173

S/C/G: 210/174.2/TBD

Height: 5'2

Default

you don't sound crazy! sometimes it is hard to be objective when it comes to your own health.




Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android
__________________


All-Time High: 226 lbs. Restart: 1/6/13 at 210 lbs
Step #1: 200 (5%); Step #2: 189 (10%); Step #3: 163 ("overweight" BMI); Step #4: Set Healthy Weight Goal
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
300+ And Ready To Try Again...#811 dogpal 300+ Club 37 01-23-2006 02:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2