Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Monday, November 12. Ran 3.5 miles.

As I think I've mentioned in a previous post, I have a reconstructed ankle from a terrible car accident when I was 19. As a result I don't have full range of motion of my right ankle. HOWEVER my ankle doubles as a barometer. We're expecting rain towards the end of the week and my ankle is "nodding" in agreement. It's achy and stiff today. Hopefully better tomorrow.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #47  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

Yesterday and today approximately 2 miles each- having a tough time fitting in a longer run.

I'm debating when to do my next half marathon. There's one in early May that I'll definitely sign up for, but there's another at the end of February that I'd also like to do. That's over 3 months away, so how to I go about training for that? Should I repeat the 12 week program I did (Hal Higdon Novice 1) or try to keep up with longer runs earlier now and continue from where I left off from the Nov. 4th half? Should I go up to Novice 2 training or even intermediate?

When I decided I was going to do a half, I thought it might just be a once in a lifetime deal- but now that it's come and gone, and I enjoyed both the training and the race itself, I know that I'll be doing this for as long as I can.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #48  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I have a 5K Friday night, and I feel like absolute crap. Every part of my body hurts, and I have zero energy.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #49  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Hello friends!

Nikel - the best thing I can tell you is to REST. If you still feel like crap on Friday night maybe volunteer or something, though if it feels more like a cold by then, the run might help dry you out...Listen to your body.

Beck - ever since my half I've been doing a rotating schedule of "training" - I'm now running 3x/week generally between 5 & 8 miles per run [usually 5, 6.5 and 8] - the two weeks before my next half I'll plan to and in a 10 and an 11 mile run but that's it for me personally.

Did 5 miles last night - mostly flat, in 45 minutes. Felt pretty good. That was my last run as I have an EXTREMELY hilly/mountain 10M race on Saturday- wish me luck!

Also very excited 2013 is going to be the year of the half marathon [got hooked after the two I did last month]...January is Key West Half, February is Phoenix half, March is NYC half, April is Nashville half, and May is Pittsburght half!! Wooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo!

Last edited by lm3898; 11-14-2012 at 09:36 AM.
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #50  
To the Future

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

beck-wow your weight loss stats are staggering! how often do you run? how do you track your eating?
aka8941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Hi everyone!

Yesterday it was back to reality here as far as weather goes. The high was 39 degrees - YUCK!!!!

I had to debate which I hated more - the cold or the dreadmill! Finally, the cold won out and I ran on my lunch hour - 6 miles. That is my favorite distance to run for some reason.

Looking forward to my 5K race on Thanksgiving Day. I ran that 5K last year in 35+ minutes and haven't run a 5K since then, only 10K's. So I'm anxious to see how much my time has improved.

Good luck on a tough 10K LM!!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #52  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

YUP that runnin thing is addictive...ever since I ran my 1/2 on Halloween ALL I can think of is doing it again. As I mentioned before I only run on dirt or trail so it limits the amount of races available ALSO I live in rural Calif. and we don't have many races here the occasional 5 or 10k. I am TOO broke to travel for races and could not handle large crowds either. So guess I will continue with my own PERSONAL uncerimonious 1/2 Marathons that I always come in 1st because I am the only one running it and only have to beat my own times;}

Well today did 6.3 Iam with you Cherry its a favorite distance...

QUESTION...has any one gotton a really bad rash-burn along their bra line from running...mine started after my 1/2 and gets worse every time I run OUCH! Its like 5inches long by 1/4 or so wide blistered,my sports bra has a thicker longer band than reg bra. {did not have in heat of summer?]
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #53  

Default They are Great!-Tony the tiger

I always have enjoyed the turkey Trots in my area. They are always a great way to burn off the extra food from the holidays. Good luck with everyone ones time!
MCGGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #54  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Deva - you wont believe this - I had a BREAKTHROUGH last night!!

For months & months I've had that nagging horrible foot pain - I remember you commented awhile back suggesting a neuroma. I went to the doc & an x-ray two months ago showed nothing...all other attempts [foot bads, ice, rest, physical therapy] have failed.

I FINALLY - I went back to the foot doc last night & he did an ultrasound...sure enough he found a small neuroma - EXACTLY what you thought it might be MONTHS ago... I got an injection [not cortisone as that didn't help at all last time] & was fitted for a custom orthodic...if that works I will finally be able to run without foot pain for the first time in months & months...wow. I really hope this works...you should be a foot doc lol!!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #55  
Nicole

I'm feeling slightly better. More importantly, I still don't have any fever or respiratory issues. As long as I don't feel worse tomorrow, I'm gonna run my 5K tomorrow night. A little advil, a little caffeine, and I should be able to get through it. My usual 5k pace (right now, 14 min/mile) would put me solidly middle of the pack, so even if I'm slower, it should be fine.

Now my freak out moment - when I was checking last years results for this 5k, I also checked last years Turkey Trot results. I'm looking at a dead last finish with my pace. Talk me out of dropping the 10K and doing the 5K instead.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #56  

Nikel1979, you are a lady after my own heart. When I saw your message I felt like I could have written it. Due to some unexpected work interruptions, late nights working, and an arthritic ankle, I haven't ran since Monday. And what do I have coming up on Saturday...yep, a Turkey Trot! Signed up for the 10K as well. I, too, am having second thoughts about doing it. A last place finish hadn't crossed my mind, but not being able to run the whole thing (which is always my goal) did.

Of course you must do what you feel comfortable with and won't harm you in any way. At the same time time there is something to be said about getting out of our comfort zones, and releasing ourselves from the labels of 'good' or 'bad' runner, or dragging ourselves down with illogical beliefs that walking part of a race, or a dead last finish somehow reflects negatively on us. Starting a race and being able to finish it is a HUGE accomplishment.

Do the 10K. I believe you'll surprise yourself.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #57  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm3898 View Post
Deva - you wont believe this - I had a BREAKTHROUGH last night!!

For months & months I've had that nagging horrible foot pain - I remember you commented awhile back suggesting a neuroma. I went to the doc & an x-ray two months ago showed nothing...all other attempts [foot bads, ice, rest, physical therapy] have failed.

I FINALLY - I went back to the foot doc last night & he did an ultrasound...sure enough he found a small neuroma - EXACTLY what you thought it might be MONTHS ago... I got an injection [not cortisone as that didn't help at all last time] & was fitted for a custom orthodic...if that works I will finally be able to run without foot pain for the first time in months & months...wow. I really hope this works...you should be a foot doc lol!!
NO just a WISE old women with bad feet that have had EVERYTHING wrong with them...We ask our feet to do so much! If I remember they told me to put shoes on first thing in the morning and not to go around barefoot...ALSO you may have {a little} trouble adjusting to the orthotics but once your whole foot ankle,knee ect get the hang your feet and legs will LOVE them. I have been wearing a fashion of them since the early 80's! {god I am old}
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #58  

Happy Friday everyone. Ran 4.17 miles after work last night. Rain today and tomorrow for the Turkey Trot. I usually find rain relaxing to run in so no worries unless it's a downpour!

A good running weekend to us all!
Old 11-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Just finished another 6 miler putting me at 31 miles for the week. It's the most miles I've ever run in one week, so it's pretty exciting.

Next week will not be as many and I'll save my legs a little hoping for a good time at the Turkey Trot!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #60  
Nicole

Just a couple of hours until I head off for my first race ever - it's a 5K through Dollywood with all the Christmas lights on.