Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 01:55 PM   #1  

Default Calling all runners;

Hi, just wondering if I'm the only one that is crazy enough to get out and brave the weather. I have to admit though lately it's been on the treadmill. It's been really wet here. If there are any more runners or even walking enthusiasts I'd love to hear from you. I have to admit nothing like a 2 miler to get my blood pumping. I used to hate running until I discovered I was doing it all wrong. For one thing I was going too fast and sucking air instead of burning fat. I had to slow down, I should have realized that from the days I walked everywhere I went. Hope to hear from somebody, Judy
Old 03-16-2003, 01:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/233/175

Height: 5'9"

I started running two weeks ago for the first time. I had been walking to about a month and nothing was happening. Well now I feel good and sleep like a baby. Even though it is just 1 Mile I feel it! I need to keep this up. My first couple times I was breathing so loud I thought everyone in the whole neighborhood could hear me! Hahahaa! Well keep in touch!
Old 03-16-2003, 02:00 AM   #3  

Hi guys...I just started jogging/walking a couple of weeks ago. I do intervals on my treadmill for 30 minutes. I usually warm up for about 3-5 minutes -- jog 6 minutes -- walk for 90 seconds. walk uphill for 6 minutes-- walk for 90 seconds then do 6 more minutes of jogging. Since I'm out of shape I can only do 6 minutes of jogging at a time at about 5 mph. I hope to increase my time in the weeks to come. This is a big improvement for me though! I used to only be able to run for about one minute and I would be completely out of breath.

Anyway, I have been looking for some buddies to join a challenge with or just talk with about exercise because I have a more difficult time making exercise a habit. I'm trying to change that though.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:45 AM   #4  
Persistent and Stubborn

Default relatively new runner

Hi Everyone.

I am brand new to this website and these chat rooms. In August I started running to loss weight because everything else, including biking, was not working. So far so good. I am working up to 3 miles in 30 minutes but have a long way to go. I can run 30 minutes at a stretch, however, but only at a pace of around 5.3 mph.

I have a question. Do any of know, or know where I can find out, if the movement during running (and other types of aerobic exercise) can affect the stretch marks and sagging of breasts. I wear sports bras but they don't seem to stop all of the movement. I am just not sure if I should worry and go out and buy tighter bras.

Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't know who else to ask.

BTW - I look forward to chatting with all of you about progress and running tips and such.

Old 03-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233/233/175

Height: 5'9"

Guess I don't have that problem with my chest.....Darn! LOL I do wear a sport bra that is kinda snug and it holds me up and I seem to not have problems. I am in between B Cup and C Cup if that helps you. I would buy a tighter sport bra of I were you. How much total weight have you lost since you started running last year? Or sizes? I am curious b/c everyone tells me how I will drop the weight. I sure hope so and started tomorrow morning I am going to start counting points as if I was on WW. Well keep us posted! Whoohoo!
Old 03-16-2003, 04:34 PM   #6  

Hi everyone, I'm really excited and encouraged that you all responded. I didn't know if I were going to be able to connect with fellow runners or not. I would just maybe invest in a tighter bra Shyangel. Thats what I do anyway.Since I've lost inches my stretch marks are not so prominent. I'm not sure whether I've lost much weight, but I'm almost back in my 10 jeans, hoping for a size 8. I've been running since last spring, I only do between 2 and 3 miles about every other day. The other days I just do weights and aerobic tapes. I'm not a fast runner either,there was a time when I was disqusted with myself for not being able to run faster. I don't think a person should exceed their level of fitness. I think you have the right idea Autumnangel, Just take this at your own pace, when you are able to do more your body will tell you. The first few weeks that I ran I had my own ideas what a runner should be abe to do, I ended up pushing myself way too hard and then it wasn't enjoyable, it was only when I slowed down that I was able to accomplish anything. Lets keep in touch so we can encourage each other. Judy
Old 03-16-2003, 05:31 PM   #7  

Default realistic?

I've been consistently working out for the last couple of months, trying to do my own personal 16 week body challenge. I decided I needed a goal (other than lose weight), and my husband suggested I run the BolderBoulder, a 10K race on Memorial Day. I just came back from the library where I checked out 5 books on marathon running for beginners, etc. My question is: is it realistic to think I'll be able to complete a 10K (by any means, walking, jogging, running) within 2 hours with just 10 weeks of training? I haven't been running...going out on Monday to walk/run just to see what my condition really is. For cardio, I walk, hike, bike, and stair climb. I did run track in highschool, many moons ago, but I was a sprinter. Let me know your opinion so I can set a realistic goal.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2003, 09:38 PM   #8  

Missy, you should check out this website called coolrunning.com -- they have a training regimen for beginners, whether you want to run a 5k, 10k, or a marathon. I looked at it last night and found it to be very informative. They have everything you would ever want to know about running!
Old 03-16-2003, 11:58 PM   #9  

Hi Missy, it sounds like you have a great start making your goal. There's also a great website called couch to 5k. At least there was the last time I checked. I don't think it would be hard to get in shape for a 10k in 10 weeks. especially since you've been training your body anyway with the other things you've been doing. I say go for it. I would reccommend that you read The Complete Book Of Running For Women written by Claire Kowalchik. It has some good information in it. Keep us posted on your training. Don't try to increase your milage too quickly, maybe just by 5 or 10 minutes at a time or you run the risk of injury. Later, Judy
Old 03-17-2003, 05:54 PM   #10  

Default starting

Thanks for the replies. I haven't checked out those websites. I did scan thru the books I checked out. The main themes I see is not to overestimate what you can do, start small, work on duration first, distance second.

So, I went out this morning to see what kind of shape I was in. I ran in 2 minute intervals for a total of 12 minutes and walked in between for the grand total of 35 minutes for a 1.5 mile trail.

I tried to stick to the guidlines and jog really slow and I didn't get taxed out. The second interval I did make the mistake of kinda running fast. Took me a little longer to recover. My side felt that runners twinge, but it went away during my recovery walk. Around my 4th interval, my right ankle felt a twinge. I probably didn't stretch enough. I had problems with my ankles back in highschool when I ran and still have my ankle wraps. But it wasn't a big deal because by the time I did my last recover walk to my car it felt fine.

I think I could have pushed myself a little harder. But the books warn not to make that mistake. Newbies usually run too much and then can't recover within a 24 hour rest period. So I came home and stair climbed for 30min and biked for another 30.

So my plan is to work on duration during the week and work on distance on the weekend with my hubby.

Only problem is, now that I've started a big snow storm is moving in (I live in Colo). So I'm getting de-railed before I even get started. But I might brave the snow, haven't decided.

Just wanted to share.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:03 PM   #11  

Hi everyone nice to see this group. I have been running for a couple of months now but only on my treadmill. We are cold here. I am hoping that this summer that I will get out side. I am not to sure on that. I go in the morning to exersice befor my son gets up. If I go later I have to deal with 2 kids in a stroller. We do have a double jogger stroller.
I am doing about 5 to 6 miles 3 times a week. I do intervel and distance depending on the day and if my son is up. I can do 4.5 miles in 40 mins. That has been my best so far.
I have the same problem with my breast. I have lost over 30 pounds from Oct. My breast saged before and now are still bad. I also do weights 3to 4 days a week and found that I am better.
Tanya
Old 03-21-2003, 11:48 PM   #12  
Persistent and Stubborn

I'm sorry for my absence but I lost the website address (just being flaky). Thanks for the advice regarding sports bras. I where good quality champion sports bras that I believe are my size (I am a 38D). They hold some but unless I duct tape them to my body I still get movement. The movement isn't really painful but I am too young to increase my sagging. Maybe I'll check around for a new brand.

I started running in August and found that it was great for losing weight. I have been biking and other things for years with mediocre success. When I can run regularly (at least 4 to 5 times a week at 3 miles at a stretch) the weight comes off. My erratic schedule makes regular exercise ahrd though.

When I started running I read books that recommended mixing running with walking (1 minute alternating and then 2 min running and 1 minute walking, etc.) until you could run 30 minutes. Within a month I could do the full 30 minutes. I run slow but the speed seems to come naturally (or at least faster for me). Twocutekids, I don't know how you run so much so fast. Any tips on how to progress from 11 minute miles (or a little more) to more length or more speed? Lengthen strides or speed up short strides is a big question for me.

Good luck to everyone. I have not run in 3 days because of emotional stress but hope this group will help keep me motivated. I've lost over 40 pounds and have at least 20 more to go.

ShyAngel
Old 03-21-2003, 11:51 PM   #13  
Persistent and Stubborn

Quote:
Originally posted by 2cutekids

I have the same problem with my breast. I have lost over 30 pounds from Oct. My breast saged before and now are still bad. I also do weights 3to 4 days a week and found that I am better.
Tanya [/B]
What weight lifting do you do that specifically helps lift your breasts? I don't lift much but am trying to incorporate some light lifting with my running and biking.

ShyAngel
Old 03-22-2003, 05:19 PM   #14  

Hi all, I'm sorry I havern't been able to post for awhile. Well I have been having a heck of a time with my arthritis, so haven't been running for a couple of days. I found another remedy to take along with my Glucosomine so I should be able to start again. I've only been off for about 3 days. The only suggestion I have for you shyangel is try and experiment with brands. My daughter is large busted and I think she ended up wearing Hanes. She had gotten her size down from a 38DD to a 34c before she got pregnant again.I can totally relate to you Tanya, when I run during the week, I have to take my Grandsons with me in a double jogging stroller. It makes it interesting. I'm thinking I may have to join a gym, so I have access to a treadmill, it has rained every day this week, and I'm tired of getting wet, later, Judy
Old 03-23-2003, 04:47 PM   #15  

Shyangel the weights that I do change all the time. I never stay doing the same ones allthe time. I do the Firm workout tapes with weigts. They do flies and push ups. I also don't have much of a chest now. I my ware a small B cup.So there is not much to worry aboutnow.
I keep doing intervies when I am on the tread mill. I do 6.0 miles for one min then 6.5 miles for the next 7.0 miles one min and 7.5 miles for one min then back down to 6.0 miles and keep doing that till I feel that I can't go any more. Today i did 5 miles in 45 mins doing that. What I read was go 2 mins at your precived exurson of 5 then one min at your 6 PE then one min at 7 PE then one min at 8 PE back down to you 6 PE and start all over again. I hope that helps you on how I get my speed. I find the work outs go fast to when I do that.
Tanya
Closed Thread