Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #1  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Default Strengthening Lower Back?

I have NEVER posted in this forum! Can you believe it?

I have pulled my lower back (again). I know it's due to lifting my one-year-old incorrectly. I am working on it but I would love to get some advice with strengthening my core so help protect my lower back. I have tried pilates but ZOMG, it is torture (probably why I should do it). I do yoga once a week (not nearly enough).

Any advice on exercises or group classes or videos that would help me strengthen my lower back?
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Planks, side planks, leg lifts (with your core held stable), hula hooping and stretching your legs, hamstrings, quads. If you have a good yoga teacher, you could talk to them about some at home things you could do.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Also, Romanian deadlifts. Those are the bomb for functional lower back strength.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #4  

Yes, you shouldn't be afraid to lift weights especially if you have lower back pain. Proper form and lifting practices will help anybody get a healthier looking body. Deadlifts strengthen COUNTLESS muscles and doing them will help you eliminate your lower back pain for good! Do not worry about bulking up, it takes a LONG time and a LOT of weight to do that. If you just keep it at a low weight and use it for conditioning, you will find that you can lift weights and avoid the body of a bodybuilder and STILL get a healthier body at the same time.
Chic Fil A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Deadlifts!!!!

I used to pull muscles and hurt myself all. the. time. Now that I'm strengthening them all, it's so so rare!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #6  

I used to hurt my back a lot too--often due to poor posture and wrong body mechanics during exercise and other activities. Romanian deadlifts, bridge and plank and crunches are to me the best core strengthening exercises that also strengthen lower back muscles. There are a lot of free resources you can find online about these types of exercises. But if you want more structure, you may want to try FitYummyMummy. I personally use the program and I am finding it very helpful. Btw, it's tailored for Moms like you and me.

Last edited by karaheissman; 08-09-2012 at 06:27 AM.
karaheissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #7  
Maintaining since 2013

S/C/G: Sz 20/Sz 8/Maintain

Height: 5'11

I like getting on an exercise ball with my stomach on the ball, legs spread hip width apart with my hands behind my ears and lifting up off the ball. Doing this not only helped to strengthen my lower back but it's helping to tone up the lower sides of my back as well.

Good luck!
SunnySide99 is offline   Reply With Quote