3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Cycling! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/263472-cycling.html)

FunSize 07-25-2012 01:30 PM

Cycling!

I didn't see a thread for biking riding! Forgive me if there is already one but I thought it would be neat to log our miles here.

Anyone wanna join in? :)

EDIT: Apparently I can't spell Cycling... can anyone fix the title? lol

stlrsgrl43 07-25-2012 01:39 PM

I will join in, I don't ride my bike that often usually once or twice a week right now when my husband is home. We rode on saturday and went 18 miles, I know that probably doesnt sound like alot but we just started. I will be on vacation till the 4th so I won't be riding for a while but I will keep up with this thread.

FunSize 07-25-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlrsgrl43 (Post 4416267)
I will join in, I don't ride my bike that often usually once or twice a week right now when my husband is home. We rode on saturday and went 18 miles, I know that probably doesnt sound like alot but we just started. I will be on vacation till the 4th so I won't be riding for a while but I will keep up with this thread.

18 miles is amazing! I just started cycling myself and the most I've done is 10. I am not sure how often I will be able to ride but it would be great if I could go for an hour everyday while hubby baby sits and then maybe on the weekend I can work myself up to 20 mile rides :)

philana 07-25-2012 06:34 PM

I'm a cyclist! As of a few weeks ago I have a roadbike and I get out for anywhere between 10 and 40miles. Did 25miles in a few days ago and 18 miles this afternoon.

I plan on doing a 100k (62miles) ride this weekend if the weather permits. I turn 27 sunday and I started exercise for the first time in my life exactly a year ago, I wanna celebrate by doing something awesome. lol

Do you ladies have a roadbike or a regular bike? I'm from the Netherlands so I cycle to work and everywhere else on my normal bike, I don't count those trips as cycling really.. to me as a Dutchie they are just.. commuting. LOL. I sometimes arrive at work and will be like "oh, I'm here..? how did I get here?"as I've done those 6 miles so OFTEN!

FunSize 07-26-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philana (Post 4416636)
I'm a cyclist! As of a few weeks ago I have a roadbike and I get out for anywhere between 10 and 40miles. Did 25miles in a few days ago and 18 miles this afternoon.

I plan on doing a 100k (62miles) ride this weekend if the weather permits. I turn 27 sunday and I started exercise for the first time in my life exactly a year ago, I wanna celebrate by doing something awesome. lol

Do you ladies have a roadbike or a regular bike? I'm from the Netherlands so I cycle to work and everywhere else on my normal bike, I don't count those trips as cycling really.. to me as a Dutchie they are just.. commuting. LOL. I sometimes arrive at work and will be like "oh, I'm here..? how did I get here?"as I've done those 6 miles so OFTEN!

Hi Philana!
I have a hybird.. it's not quite a roadbike but not quite a mountain :-) I live out in the Arizona desert and there are a lot of gravel paths and off roading type stuff around my house that I wanted to be able to go on in addition to road.
Eventually I can totally see myself getting a bike that's just for road though!

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...eWay/008-1.jpg

I can't wait to work myself up to 100k rides! Although, I think I'd need to upgrade my bike first. I am totally excited about getting into it more. I have to admit, I love to ride way more than running so I see myself sticking to this for the long haul :)

philana 07-26-2012 08:11 AM

Fun: sounds like the perfect bike for your livingconditions! The Netherlands is cycling-country no.1 so there's perfect cyclinglanes that go on and on here. I don't need to cross any rough terrain thankfully. I'm a bit of a whimp so that would be scary. Nice bike!

It took me a bunch of weeks to get allt he right gear and figure out what I need for a good ride, but now I am slowly learning. Adn more comfortable on the bike every day. I can keep cycling when I go around a corner now, yay. LOL. Oh, and I think I have the click pedals figured out. I wish I would fall already though. Knowing you can fall and won't die is kinda important for your confidence on the bike I think, and I've not fallen off anything in about 10 years.

Do you watch cycling? I just watched my first Tour the France and LOVED it. It's like I get it more now that I cycle myself.

Anyhow. Me rambling. It's just so awesome. And It oo like it way more than running. I need to keep up on the running though since I signed up for a few long runs in september. But this is so much more fun!

lm3898 07-26-2012 09:23 AM

I'm in! Hello all - I finally got a bike last Saturday to help in between my runs/lifting etc. Made it out last night after my lift session about 8 miles in 45 minutes - nothing too strenuous but it felt good!

I have a hybrid style too - Trek 7.1FX - I LOOOOOOOVE it!!

FunSize 07-26-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lm3898 (Post 4417179)
I'm in! Hello all - I finally got a bike last Saturday to help in between my runs/lifting etc. Made it out last night after my lift session about 8 miles in 45 minutes - nothing too strenuous but it felt good!

I have a hybrid style too - Trek 7.1FX - I LOOOOOOOVE it!!

Hi and Welcome! :) 8 miles is great! I love how I feel after a ride. Sounds like cycling is a great addition to your running & lifting! It's nice to add some variety, isn't it?

FunSize 07-26-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philana (Post 4417114)
Fun: sounds like the perfect bike for your livingconditions! The Netherlands is cycling-country no.1 so there's perfect cyclinglanes that go on and on here. I don't need to cross any rough terrain thankfully. I'm a bit of a whimp so that would be scary. Nice bike!

It took me a bunch of weeks to get allt he right gear and figure out what I need for a good ride, but now I am slowly learning. Adn more comfortable on the bike every day. I can keep cycling when I go around a corner now, yay. LOL. Oh, and I think I have the click pedals figured out. I wish I would fall already though. Knowing you can fall and won't die is kinda important for your confidence on the bike I think, and I've not fallen off anything in about 10 years.

Do you watch cycling? I just watched my first Tour the France and LOVED it. It's like I get it more now that I cycle myself.

Anyhow. Me rambling. It's just so awesome. And It oo like it way more than running. I need to keep up on the running though since I signed up for a few long runs in september. But this is so much more fun!

Oh I am jelous of your roads ;)
You know what would be neat? If everyone took pictures while on their rides so we can see the different terrain!

I have started to look up cycling videos on youtube! Expecially for tips and what not :carrot:

FunSize 07-27-2012 12:31 AM

10.6 miles in 55 minutes, averaged 11 miles per hour. Now.. that might seem really slow but as I was explaining to my husband half of the journey I was "off roading" in a few off beaten paths.. lots of mud hills, rocky trails, etc. But when I was on the road I was probably averaging closer to 15 mph.
I guess I shouldn't pay much attention to my speed when I do a lot of off road cycling :-)
Either way that was officially my longest ride yet, lol. Man this is so addicting.

Rana 07-29-2012 12:50 PM

I love to cycle.

I did a quick ride by myself this morning, 16 miles, in about 53 minutes (that was an average rate of 14.8 mph with wind).

I was proud of myself for having changed one of my tires by myself. Woohoo! I got a flat (never found what caused it) and while I had seen other people change tires before, I had never done it myself. It took me 13 minutes from start to finish.... which is slow, for changing a tire, since I've seen some of these guys change them in like 5 minutes flat, but for my first time, I'll take it.

sandramac 07-29-2012 02:24 PM

Love my bike!

Thank you for starting this thread! I love cycling; I have a mountain bike. I had to get a stationary cycle after I was hit by a car (while in the bike lane) in 1974. It is not the same... I was SO afraid to ride on the road! I would literally tear up, when I saw people cycling, alone or in groups, because I used to ride 20 miles, every day, and used my bike for primary transportation for several years.

In 2009, a young friend lost his wolf/dog mix, and asked me to help in the search. He didn't know I couldn't ride, and just tossed his bike towards me, as he jumped on his uncle's bike, and took off, calling over his shoulder which area he would be covering. I couldn't let him down, it is a small town, early Saturday morning, and I decided, for the first time, I might be safe.

Such freedom! Such joy! this boy still cannot understand the gift he gave me, that day, leaving me to honor his friendship by overcoming my fears.

I live in Saskatchewan, where our cycling time is limited, and its been a year since I was injured (another car vs. human wreck). I was cleared to ride again only recently, and have been looking for an inspiration. Thank you, so much for providing me with just the push I need!

It is late in the season, late in the month, but count me in! :D

FunSize 07-29-2012 11:14 PM

Welcome Rana & Sandramac!

Rana~ Congrats on the great ride & the tire change! That is still something I need to learn how to do :) Bravo!! Can't wait to hear your updates :-) You sure have motivated me to go farther than what I have done so far!

Sandramac~ So so sorry to hear about your incidents with cars :( It's a frightening reality check to realize it's a risk we have to take when we share the road with cars ;( I keep telling myself though, most things I love to do have risks.. I also go horse back riding when it's not so hot here in the desert and that has plenty of risks as well! I am so happy you are back riding. Can't wait to hear from you again!

FunSize 07-29-2012 11:18 PM

Well my party got rained on! Literally!
I was hoping for a long ride.. (at least over 10 miles) tonight. The storm seemed to clear up for a bit so as soon as I got home I was out the door. Well.. 20 minutes into my ride I got freaked out by all the lighting so close. Then it started pouring. So I booked it home and only did 5 miles. It's better than nothing! My jaw is super sore though from being stressed about the lightning. I guess I was clenching my jaw? Anyone have that happen when they exercise?

Also, I am happy because I finally have a helmet! I am picking up things I need little by little. I'd eventually love to get a computer on my bike to tell me my speed & stuff.

Okay, that's all for tonight :)

P.S- Anyone use mapmyride.com? I love it because I can map my ride exactly how I ride it and I will know the exact miles. They have the app for your smart phone, too!

FunSize 07-30-2012 11:10 PM

My farthest yet.. lovely 12 mile ride in 63 mins. I did some interval training (pedaling really fast between landmarks, then easy pedaling, etc). I felt really good after my ride. Before I would fall down as soon as I got in the house from exhaustion!