Body Pump!!!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I survived my first Body Pump class yesterday. It was an hour long and didn't seem so hard while I was doing it. However, I FEEL IT TODAY. Just came home and hubby made me a hot bath. At least I can walk without cringing

I'm sore but it feels great to feel muscles that I obviously haven't been working. Okay, I'm very sore. I think I enjoyed weight lifting. The class is tomorrow night again. I might try it since today would be my official rest day.

This was a double NSV for me..This is the first time that I felt brave enough to try a group exercise class....outside of the water. Anyone else try Body Pump?? Thoughts?
  • Good for you! Body Pump is a great group class and a good one to start with. It works the whole body to music. I hate when the classes are really full though. If there are less people the instructors tend to help you out a little bit more. Sore muscles are good and make you feel like you've accomplished something. Try it again tomorrow. Just be ready for your body to try and convince you that it is too sore to do it again. One thing that helps me if I am sore, especially my legs, is a light cardio day (I prefer the elliptical) or a yoga class to stretch out the sore muscles.

I also really like spin class and after the first few classes your body gets used to it and your butt stops hurting. Work body pump a coule of more times and then work up to spin.
  • I've never heard of body pump, what is it?
  • I love body pump! My first class was about a year ago and I used too much weight for a beginner. My arms hurt sooo bad for a few days. The worst was actually about 2 days after the class. Luckily I got smarter and used less weight the next time.

• Congrats on getting through ur first class!
  • Quote: I've never heard of body pump, what is it?
    Hi, mightbe! Body Pump is an hour long weight lifting class done with a metal bar, adjustable weights and riser that you use as a bench. It is a Les Mills (look up his sight) workout and works all the major muscle groups with sets done to music. The rotation typically goes like this: warmup, squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, abs, and cool down. I think it's a great workout and since you control the amount of weight, you decide what is reasonable for your body and ability. I would highly recommend it if you have it available. If you do try it, start slow, observe, ask questions, etc. In the classes at my gym the instructors always recommend weights: warm-up (lightest weight of the day); squats (heaviest weight) etc. Everyone is at a different level so don't be intimidated or shy about doing only what your body can do. A lot of the ladies on 3 FC do heavy lifting with free weights and bars. Very impressive, but I'm not there yet. I see Body Pump as a great introduction to heavy lifting. I have to say that while I love, love, love my cardio, BP has given me tone and leaned me out more than I ever thought possible. Try it if you have the chance!
  • Sounds awesome!
  • I love Pump! I try and get to class 3x a week and I RPM (spin) now too and love it!!
  • I love body pump!! I had my first class a couple of weeks ago & was incredibly sore the next couple of days. However, I felt so good & empowered after the workout that it was worth going back several days later. I try to do BP 3x/week with nice hot baths afterwards as a reward.

The classes do get pretty crowded, so that is a downside. However, the atmosphere and camaraderie is great & so upbeat! I love it!!
  • Glad to see a thread that's dedicated just to Body Pump! This is one of my favorite fitness classes, and has given me more results and motivation than anything I've ever tried personally. I have been doing it off and on for 10 months. I took a 6 week hiatus from it and had to pull waaaay back on the weights, and it's taken 3 weeks to build up and even approach what I was lifting before, so that sucks. But DOING is the most important thing!

For all those people who are feeling sore, make sure it's a manageable sore and that you aren't putting too much weight on your bar as a beginner. I know heavy lifting is good, but in Body Pump the sets are long so you have to build up to more weight over time. Focus on perfecting your form rather than putting weights on aggressively and compromising your form and/or not being able to finish the sets.
  • I used to dislike BodyPump because I don't really like strength training. However I decided to try it again since I was losing interest in the other classes, and I really wanted to build some muscle. For some reason I really enjoyed it this time around, so I'm going again tonight. I think it's probably because I'm much fitter and stronger than last time.

A few months ago I did it, and I used weights that were too heavy for me. I was in agony for days. I used to work at a pub, and my job inolved rushing up and down stairs a 100 times a night, as well as squatting down to put drinks away in the bottom of the fridge, and I was in so much pain. I couldn't walk properly for a week. I definitely learnt my lesson, if you're a beginner, go light!
  • Well, I'm back to Body Pump after a small hiatus. The only gym offering the class was the gym where we DIDN'T have a membership (of course). Paid the extra fees for awhile to "visit" but couldn't justify the costs and a full membership at another gym.

About 3 weeks ago, I was going to my gym and saw a huge Les Mills sign. Guess What....my gym is now offering Body Pump and the CRx Works class ???? Of course, I signed up first day (prayer does work) . Had a great time today and no extra costs.
  • I loved Body Pump when I was going to the gym.
  • Quote: Well, I'm back to Body Pump after a small hiatus. The only gym offering the class was the gym where we DIDN'T have a membership (of course). Paid the extra fees for awhile to "visit" but couldn't justify the costs and a full membership at another gym.

About 3 weeks ago, I was going to my gym and saw a huge Les Mills sign. Guess What....my gym is now offering Body Pump and the CRx Works class ???? Of course, I signed up first day (prayer does work) . Had a great time today and no extra costs.
    Yay, glad to hear your gym is now offering it!
  • I have found my people! I love bodypump so much. The gym at my university offers all the Les Mills classes, so I go to pump, attack, and balance (they're all great! If you can, try them all!).

The first time I did pump I could not walk properly for three days. It makes you realise how much you use your leg muscles to walk (duh)! The fronts of my legs, yeow! I've been going to bodypump for ~4 months now, and I've already managed to double all my starting weights (still using some of the lightest weights in the class), and now I can see actual muscles in my arms, woohoo!

The best thing about it is the group atmosphere; it makes you want to push yourself further than you would on your own. My confidence in myself has grown so much.