Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #1  
I'm wide awake

S/C/G: 202/184/126

Height: 5FT

Default Possibly TMI - period related.

Hi guys, Hope you are all doing well. Well this may be to much info but hey ho I've got no one else to ask so here goes. When I have my period I really really hate exercising and going to the gym. Thankfully they only last four days but they are very heavy and I'am always so self concious about 'accidents'. It bugs me because I feel I can't do any exercise during this time. I did try to go to the gym once with aunt flo but had to leave after half an hour. Does anyone else find this or am I weirdo? Cheers x
skinnypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I usually find that exercise helps with cramps and the like, or that it makes no difference.

But if you feel uncomfortable during the heavy days, it's ok to skip the gym. A walk outside would be an excellent substitute.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5'8

As a rule of thumb my doctor told me not to exercise on my first day of TOM, it can increase the tearing in your uterus and cause you to bleed more. However, I'm borderline anemic so that might not be the case for people who aren't.
Katbot24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

OWN that sucker -- don't let the anxiety/fear thing own you. It's only a period, ya know? Work that show however you feel best.

Take a day off on the heaviest flow?

Exercise at home those days to a DVD?

Tampon instead of pad if you pad?

Pad instead of tampon if you tampon?

Or tampon plus a pad? Or a keeper? Or something else. Who knows. Be an explorer -- and just explore ideas and solutions.

Honestly -- nobody is looking. Nobody will care, nobody is a creepy gym crotch starer.

And should you spring a little leak? Wear black bottoms, will prob not soak thru anyway, if does looks like sweat on black and creeps who crotch stare are CREEPS and you can give them the evil eye.

And black bottoms that get you to the locker room and into your back up street clothes? You are in street clothes now. Who cares?

Just put a fresh pad on at the gym when you get there, clock your 30 min or whatever, then go check the pad. That's my solution. Or I tampon it and hit the pool. Being in water helps keeps things IN. The water pressure presses your body and for the same reason it's kinder on joints and pregnancy and all that. (Which is heaven in PMS time too -- swim som leisurely laps for the low impact workout.)

I can take a tub bath during my period and it "pauses." I lay down to sleep and it "pauses" too -- I don't flow in the night. I actually use heavy pads in the DAY.

I think once you "learn" your flow in this situation you can relax in the knowledge and feel secure because each time you do it it's another notch you on your experience belt.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-25-2012 at 12:46 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #5  
I'm wide awake

S/C/G: 202/184/126

Height: 5FT

thanks guys, thats been a big help. ASTROPHE - loved your post. Yeah screw it maybe i will just give it up and go. Infact SCREW IT BIGTIME im going to that gym right NOW!
skinnypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/160/135

Height: 5'5

I totally hear where your coming from with heavy periods. I also try to exercise 7 days a week so here is new plan for that time of month.

I allow myself the first 2 days of period off. And when I am at home I try to do other forms of exercise like mostly arm weights (laying down chess press), stretching, some stomach but mostly arms. Think of first 2 period days at work out arm days. Hope that helps. Also, watch what you eat especially those 2 days because you are not burning calories at the gym, or allow them to be your cheat days, just decide.
BlackBarbieKiss125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #7  

Height: 5'1

I often don't want to either but I do because it does help with the cramps if I'm having any. However, I might not exercise as much as I could on a normal day. The best thing for leaks would be definitely to wear the black bottoms as someone suggested. When I started my period, I would complain about it all the time but my mum said to me not to let it run your life! And it's true. It's a couple of days a month and you can't let your daily routine (don't mean just exercise) get messed up! Take each day like it's a normal day.
Dreamer2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbot24 View Post
As a rule of thumb my doctor told me not to exercise on my first day of TOM, it can increase the tearing in your uterus
Tearing of the uterus?

That's not what your period is.

And exercise, defined how you will (walking? runnning a marathon?) doesn't cause menstrual bleeding.

If my medical doctor told me anything like that I'd be looking for a different care provider.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #9  
Warrior Princess

I exercise at home but I usually skip day 2 if it's very heavy. I get fatigued.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:34 AM   #10  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I got my period the night before I ran my first marathon. A marathon that I had trained for, for 20 weeks. There was absolutely no way that I would have given up the marathon due to my period. I agree with *astrophe* and all of her suggestions. I say go for it! FEMALE EMPOWERMENT!! I'm all for it.

Last edited by milmin2043; 07-09-2012 at 12:45 AM.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:46 AM   #11  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

I'm feeling the same way but got inspired after seeing all the responses

gym bound!!!
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:04 AM   #12  

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17145688

(Fast forward to the last sentence of the abstract.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

I get heavy periods too, accompanied by very nasty pains for the first 2-3 days. I'm towards the end of my period now, but when it started last week, I hit the gym anyway. I dosed up on painkillers, wore a tampon and a huge pad, and hit the treadmill, bike, weights and swimming pool. I didn't leak because the tampon and pad combined made sure I didn't, and I felt so much better for it.
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote