Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/193.2/155

Height: 5'8

Default Resistance Vs. Weights

Hey all,
Ive been going to the YMCA near my house and they have both resistance machines and weight machines. For the first 3 weeks I was going I only used the elliptical and resistance machines, as I was nervous to trudge into the weight machine areas among all the buff people!

My question is, does it make a huge difference when trying to build muscle if you use the resistance machines? Ive found that I've gotten stronger and have moved up a few levels on the resistance machines, but would it be more beneficial to use the weights?
kristindawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #2  
In training to be awesome

S/C/G: 270 / 188.4 / 170

Height: 5'11"

Weight machines are better than resistance, but free weights are better than machines. Here's some information about why: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...s-or-machines/

There are lots of ladies here who are into lifting and have seen great success! Many recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women (I don't know the author off the top of my head), and some also follow Starting Strength (by Mark Rippetoe).
Blueberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I've seen a HUGE difference switching from machine to free weights. When you lift free weights you have to engage all supporting muscles to keep your balance. My balance has improved, I've noticed much more muscle tone, and I've progressed much more quickly using free weights. If you have access to them, use them!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote