Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 232/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default C25K painful joints??

So I have been doing C25K for several weeks now. During week 4 and 5 (running incriments of .5 and .75) I started noticing my left knee started getting sore and popping...it seems to have gone away though. After week 5 day 3 (the solid 2 mile run) my left hip became sore, not painful, just pretty sore. is anyone else having or has had simular issues? Someone told me to take Glucomine and that may help?
DanieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Your body is getting used to running. I had various aches and pains when I started - shins, knees, ankles, quad. I kept running and they kept getting worse. I then dialied it back a bit, rested for a week, and started back slower. It was much better and I'm able to run more regularly now.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #3  
Fitty, the Pound-Slayer

S/C/G: 303/287/150

Height: 5'8

Check out Runner's World at runnersworld.com and search about different knee pains, etc. They always have great advice!

But to more general advice, make sure you are doing proper stretching (after your muscles are warmed up, though!) and also make sure that your supporting muscles in your knee, as well as your core, glutes, hamstrings, etc, are all strong and working well. As someone who has dislocated her knee twice, I can tell you want to keep that part of your body as healthy as possible!
fatbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #4  
To the Future

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Last time I started getting achey I changed shoes, and that made a world of difference. Tell me about your shoes.
aka8941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka8941 View Post
Last time I started getting achey I changed shoes, and that made a world of difference. Tell me about your shoes.
When I first started I was running in nike reax...they were a nightmare! Way to much support in the heel and I felt like I wasn't controlling my run my shoe was! I had really bad shin spints when I ran in those, so bad that for about a hr after my run I couldn't take off my shoes because my legs hurt so bad! So I went to a running specialty store and got a pair of mizuno wave precises I love them so much I think once they fall apart I will get another pair they are amazing!!
Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbookworm View Post
Check out Runner's World at runnersworld.com and search about different knee pains, etc. They always have great advice!

But to more general advice, make sure you are doing proper stretching (after your muscles are warmed up, though!) and also make sure that your supporting muscles in your knee, as well as your core, glutes, hamstrings, etc, are all strong and working well. As someone who has dislocated her knee twice, I can tell you want to keep that part of your body as healthy as possible!
Thank you I will check that site out! I used to have issues with my left knee popping out of place to! But its been a long long time since its popped out I try to stay cautious because I know it can and I know when it does it hurts SO BAD!!
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
Your body is getting used to running. I had various aches and pains when I started - shins, knees, ankles, quad. I kept running and they kept getting worse. I then dialied it back a bit, rested for a week, and started back slower. It was much better and I'm able to run more regularly now.
I might try that! I know I go running everyday so it might be that I do need to cut back for a week and see how everything feels!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #8  

Height: 5'9"

I am on week 5 of c25k. I have been doing it waaaaayyyy longer than 5 wks. However, I don't run every day because it is very hard on your body to do it every day. We weren't exactly designed as endurance type organisms, so you gotta work into it slowly. I bike, use the stepmill, and do the elliptical to avoid overworking it with the running. If I try to run too much, my knees make a pop/click sound when I walk afterwards. I also don't run on days I do intense strength training of my legs.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #9  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieJo View Post
I might try that! I know I go running everyday so it might be that I do need to cut back for a week and see how everything feels!
YES to what seagirl said, and yes on cutting back! I had a lot of pain in my left hip after I first began running, and I'm certain it was the result of doing too much too quickly. (One leg is also longer than the other, and so that probably contributed to the severity of the pain.) Even now, running regularly and able to run 7+ miles at once, I only run 4x/week, and I do at least one of those as a slow, easy run in which I'm not pushing to improve anything (neither speed nor distance). Your body needs time to adjust to the running, both when you first start and when you're pushing to make improvements. Listen to your body and give it a little more rest now, rather than getting to the point where you have to take several weeks off due to pain/inuries!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote