1/2 Marathon in January. Realistic?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm SURE it's possible! But is it realistic to have a goal of running a half marathon in January? I'm hesitant to go pick some training program without suggestions! I still want to do my weight training 3 days per week as well. Any advice?

The price to register goes up 6/15, and I don't have the $ right now anyway, but the next time the price goes up is in September. I suppose even if I started aiming for it but by September wasn't at a certain point I could decide then.

I'm intimidated by it of course, but I've always dreamed of running a marathon. I figure the whole marathon might be a lofty goal right now, but the half would be possible with the whole being a goal for the following year. I question my abilities, but keep telling myself I can do any darn thing I set my mind to. I just don't want to set myself up for failure if it's too close considering my fitness level right now.
  • To complete yes, definitely attainable. Do you have a time goal or just want to finish?
  • Do you run now?
  • Quote: To complete yes, definitely attainable. Do you have a time goal or just want to finish?
    I'd like to run a 10 minute mile the whole time ideally!

Quote: Do you run now?
    I just started running 3 and a half weeks ago! So far I can run 1 straight mile at 5 mph. I do intervals a lot, and try to do better every workout.
  • Quote: I'd like to run a 10 minute mile the whole time ideally!

I just started running 3 and a half weeks ago! So far I can run 1 straight mile at 5 mph. I do intervals a lot, and try to do better every workout.
    It's probably doable. You'll find lots of training plans on line. Just build up your strength and stamina, do some 5K and 10K races in the mean time and make sure you actually like running. I run too, but don't like it enough to actually run a 1/2. 5Ks are about all I can stand.
  • I ran my first 1/2 marathon 6 months after I started running (virtually no exercise prior to this). It was a hilly 1/2 and very hot/humid at the time. I finised in 2 hours 20 minutes with several walking breaks. So, if I can do it you can too!
  • Quote: It's probably doable. You'll find lots of training plans on line. Just build up your strength and stamina, do some 5K and 10K races in the mean time and make sure you actually like running. I run too, but don't like it enough to actually run a 1/2. 5Ks are about all I can stand.
    Years ago I was, what I considered, a runner. But I never did real long distances, typically 3 to 5 miles at a time. Running has always been one of those things that I've aspired to do. I do think I will take your advice and do a 5k and 10k prior to the 1/2. There's one 5k in November that's an obstacle course as well that I had already planned to do, I think that'll be a great start for me. Thank you!

Quote: I ran my first 1/2 marathon 6 months after I started running (virtually no exercise prior to this). It was a hilly 1/2 and very hot/humid at the time. I finished in 2 hours 20 minutes with several walking breaks. So, if I can do it you can too!
    Ooooo! Very encouraging. I'm in Phoenix, so in January it's very nice, perhaps a tad bit cold, although it never gets very cold here. The course isn't hilly at all either. Your comment gives me a lot of encouragement. Thank you very much!
  • Just wishing you luck! I am sure it's possible. I started running in january and am running a half marathon on november. This weekend I ran almost 8 miles and already felt like I could push on to atleast 10miles. I don't set speed goals though. I constantly work on just being able to run further. And on my short runs I try and be faster. I figure in the end it will improve my overalls speed.
  • Philana I like your plan to focus on distance only. I'm going to start training for a full marathon in June and I'm going to try and keep that mindset/tactic.
  • I will not worry about the speed then. According to the website the half marathoners have 4 hours to finish. So even a very brisk walking pace mixed with slow running would allow me to finish, so that's encouraging.
  • you certainly CAN do it!!

3yrs ago when i lost my weight the FIRST time i ran my first 1/2 marathon after 8 months of dieting, walking then running--wasnt fast 2:13--but i never will be!! it was about getting fit and having the ability to do it--really cant believe i let it slide away over the course of two years--but i am back on the way again

this time with the knowledge that i did it once so i know i can do it again--GOOD LUCK!!
  • If it is in January, it means you have a lot of time to prepare to it!

Here's a 6 months programs http://www.towomensruns.com/images/215-230-24weeks.pdf that leads you to run longer distances in a really progressive way, which is nice to prevent injuries.

Personnaly I'm following one of those program from the toronto women run thingy and I like it a lot

Good luck! xxx
  • Thank you thank you thank you everyone!

And thanks for that program. I had only been able to find ones that were like 12 weeks long and started at 5 miles at a time 4 days a week or so. This is much more realistic!
  • Quote: And thanks for that program. I had only been able to find ones that were like 12 weeks long and started at 5 miles at a time 4 days a week or so. This is much more realistic!
    No problem!
  • I think you can do it!! I just signed up for one myself Sept. 29th! My first too - it's GREAT motivation. Before I quit smoking a little less than 2 months ago, the MOST I could possibly run was 3.1 miles - and not often. But now, with proper conditioning and healthy lungs I am up to 6.5 miles at an avg. 9 min/mile pace and I'm going to keep building up to the race. We should start a new thread w/ our training workouts for the 1/2 marathon if you sign up for yours! You can do it!