Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 PM   #1  
Start Date: May.19 .0011

S/C/G: 217/213/149

Height: 5'5"

Default Cheap exercise

Hi all,
I'm looking for some cheap exercise plans/ideas.
I have joint pain pretty bad in my hands and knees so anything that would keep that minimal.
I live on a property with lake access and lots of biking/walking trails around.
Any ideas on where to start?
I really would like to tone up/start to build muscle while losing weight if at all possible, just can't afford a gym membership at the moment (I am college student...I only have dust bunnies in my wallet).
Any help would be appreciated!
rockbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

I do Leslie Sansone's Walk Away The Pounds videos. You can find them on YouTube. They're simple, easy and not at all high-impact, so if you wanted to do something indoorsy that's easy on your joints, I'd recommend them.
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #3  

I know it seems backwards but my hubby was diagnosed with bad back arthritis (and joints) but his arthritis symptoms actually IMPROVE from weight lifting. When he stops going to the gym for a couple of months the pain increases. Most of the time, they recommend swimming to anyone with joint issues but I would recommend that you try lifting (no need for a gym...buy some cheap free weights) as it is good for your bones!
If that doesn't work for you, you sound like you have a lot of great out-door options. There's also even exercise DVD's that you can get for free at the library.

Good luck!
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:54 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

My daughter is a student also, last year she lost 40 lbs just by walking everywhere and getting some hand weights for light workouts inside... she would do walking lunges down the hall in her apartment, squats, push ups, etc... Google workouts without equipment and you'll get plenty of examples...

Good luck keep us posted on your progress...

PS: Eating clean and healthy is 80% of the weightloss equation, so be careful what you eat ... Non processed, close to nature food is your best bet...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #5  
Start Date: May.19 .0011

S/C/G: 217/213/149

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the responses!
I actually just got a summer job I will be able to walk 0.8 miles to get there so I will be getting in 1.5 miles of walking in a day for the summer! So excited for that.
I'll have to pick up some hand weights and do some reps after work also, do you think a thrift store would have them?
@Ilene your daughter being a student and losing that weight is definitely an inspiration for me! Thanks for sharing that!
rockbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #6  

My husband just started walking. His first walk was down 1 block and back. And every day he did a little more. Then he went to biking.

Swimming is great for joint relief...

There is C25K but that is running, but you could do speed walking. You can download the program to your mp3 player and it gives you intervals of walking and running on a week to week program. If you like that sort of thing it could be great.

C7
Charmed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #7  

Oh - do you have a Play it Again Sports? That's a good place to find used equipment. Or check out craiglist for your area. You can walk with weights too. Just do your walk and move your arms in the different exercises while you walk. For the poor man's version, use canned food.
Charmed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 332/see ticker/132

Height: 5' 3.5"

You don't need to buy weights. There are all sorts of things you can improvise with. Cans of food, filled water bottles, gallon milk jugs filled with water, even bricks or large river rocks.

Also, this : http://www.3fatchicks.com/8-househol...rk-as-weights/
Pacifica Bee is offline   Reply With Quote