I need advice for joining the gym!

• Hi! I'm considering joining the gym at my university campus. It's really cheap ($100 for a year) and it has decent equipment and all the Les Mills classes, so I feel like it's a really good deal. I have two questions/foibles:

-Should I opt for a gold membership ($200) which entitles me to 3 personal trainer sessions? I have no idea how to use any of the treadmills and cross trainers and things, and I want to make sure I'm doing the weights with correct form; can I manage this myself or do you ladies and gentlemen think it'd be a good idea to go for the PT sessions?

-I am not sporty or coordinated. I don't have matching workout gear (more like baggy t shirts and an old pair of trainers!). There are a lot of jocks (for want of a better term) at my campus. I feel like I'm going to be the odd one out and get JUDGED

Any advice for a total newbie?
  • If you can afford the plan with the trainer, then get it.

As for what you wear, most gyms have regular fashion shows where you are judged on how cute your workout clothes are. Your trainer will most likely spend the first session counseling you on what to wear and how to look your best so as not to offend the other gym attendants with your attire. This is important, as their comfort comes first, your work out comes second. You should also be paying close attention to what other people are wearing and give them "judgey eye" if they aren't dressed to the 9s.

Or your gym might be one of those where no one gives a hoot what anyone else is wearing because they are all too busy on their own workouts.

Have fun! That is a great price for a gym!
  • LOL@ gym fashion shows

"and stepping out past our brand-new quad press is Tatania, wearing the latest in Nike's Sportif line. we like how it emphasizes her trim waist and slim bust but pairing that tank with those shorts is unfortunate as it does draw attention to the cottage cheese on the backs of her thighs. maybe Tatania would like to benefit from our intermediate Spin classes on Tuesday and Thursday evening, included with the Gold membership..... now say hel-LO to Joshua - looking fine as he poses with the large Olympic bar - nice flex, there, Josh! - in his bicycle shorts and mesh tank. Mesh tanks are technically against our dress code but we'll forgive him because he looks so darned fine!... "
  • Hahahaha I want to join THAT gym!
  • while i dont think it matters in the least what you wear to the gym...PLEASE wear good shoes if you are doing any cardio....i made the mistake of wearing cheap walmart sneakers to run in and paid for that with miserable blisters...since i upped the ante and invested in a better pair of shoes, my feet have thanked me every day...and i'm not even talking super spendy...i paid $22 on sale for a pair of crosstrainer shoes at payless and they are WAYYY better than cheaper stuff...

i wore horribly old cut off yoga pants to work out in for months until they wore out...then i treated myself to an actual pair of workout capri pants and loved it...wore my old sports bra until it was far too big for me, then treated myself to a nice fitted sports bra and i love it!!
  • Definitely good advice about the shoes. I have sensitive feet as it is! I do have proper cross training shoes but they're a few years old, I guess I'll just try them out and see how they go!
  • You know - when I started working out, I wore huge oversize t-shirts and old navy yoga pants, and as I lost weight, I started to wear smaller items - NOT fashion show LOL but now I use the under armour compression pants etc. I like to see the definition in my legs and I don't feel the need to hide my body as much. I reward myself w/ badass workout clothes when I hit goals! So, start where you start, wearing what makes YOU comfortable!

Also, I def. reccomend a trainer if you can afford it!! You said yourself, you don't know what you're doing. A trainer can help you to not injure yourself which is HUGE but also, by teaching you how to use the different machines, it will probably seem less daunting [which the machines it did for me at first until I figure out how to use them]. Good luck!
  • Phew! I am gonna say, don't worry about what you have to wear so long as you are comfortable! I always tell myself I am not at the gym to impress anyone because by the end you should look like you have been working and sweating your heart out!