Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 183/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Ohh you're so lucky to have a trail nearby! We used to live by one - aren't they great? I live in a small subdivision right off a busy street, and the other day I decided to go biking again for the first time in months. Not five minutes out, a car almost hits me! The road is a rural one used mostly by truckers and other large vehicles, and has no sidewalks and very narrow gravel shoulders. Until we move to a neighborhood with sidewalks (hopefully in a few months) I've decided to jog around my neighborhood instead. I hope to be on the bike again soon!

Last edited by McMurphy; 06-17-2012 at 01:20 PM.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:04 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

I'm bike lover too and I own three bikes - it becomes an addiction!

Let me give you some advice:

- Buy the best quality bike you can afford. Walmart bikes can work, but if you can buy from a local bike store, it's preferable. Why? A lot of Walmart bikes aren't assembled properly -- Walmart doesn't have knowledgeable staff (unless they got lucky when they hired a stockperson) to put together a bike or even to tell you if the bike fits YOU for your level of interest and what you want to do on a bike

- There are three basic types of bikes, they are all different and come in different price points:

Mountain Bikes -- These are heavy, have thick tires, usually you see kids riding these around the neighborhood, especially boys! Back in my day, they were BMXing... I don't know what they call it now a days. These bikes are meant for off-roading, like being on a hiking trail on a bike. This can be very fun and it can be a good work out. It's not about how far or how fast, but how many off-roading miles you can do on it. Get one that is a good fit for your height and ability.

Road Bike -- these are the racing bikes that you might see around your city. The people riding them are usually wearing a lot of lycra and helmets and going 30 mph down a straight road. These bikes are built for speed -- yes, even beginners ride them, so don't be afraid to consider this. Road bikes are good, in my opinion, because they are lighter (easier to handle, lift up on a bike rack, all that) and when you're on it, you will go faster than on a mountain bike. If you like to feel like you're flying this is the bike (even if you're only going 10 mph!). [Sub-categories here would include fixies and mixies and other custom-built or other type of racing bikes.]

Hybrid Bikes -- these are not mountain bikes or road bikes, hence the term hybrid! They have thinner tires than their mountain bike cousins but slight thicker tires than the road bikes. They can come with two handle types -- the straight bar across (like a mountain bike) or with the drops (road bike). Hybrids are good because you don't have to worry as much about a flat tire on a road bike (those skinny tires get a lot of flats!) but they aren't usually as heavy as a mountain bike (which means you can go fast).

The fourth type that's getting a lot of interest now in the USA is the commuter bike, which some people call European bikes. These bikes are like the Hybrids, but they come with fenders and racks (to carry your laptop case or your groceries) and a chain protector (to protect your pants leg).

The reason I recommend going to a local bike shop is because they can help you find the best bike for you. You can go in and say, "I have $200 to spend. What can I buy?" and even if it's a used bike, it'll still be better for you because it'll be something that the shop helps you bike -- for your height, weight, and style of biking.

I've heard too many horror stories of Walmart bikes and I only have one -- that was given to me, that I didn't purchase -- and like a lot of stories, that one was a bike that *IS* too small to fit me right. I rode that bike a lot, because when you're a newbie, you don't know any better... but I did a lot of damage to myself on that bike (falling over and stuff like that).

I have a hybrid I bought off Craig's List that I probably paid too much for, but I fell in love with it.

The road bike that I have is a lower end bike, but I bought it new at a bike store and it's the bike that fits me the best. The store looks out for me, the manager knows my name, they change tires for me and they are really nice.

I highly highly suggest you go to the store for that reason.

Also, yes, you can buy the cycling computer for your bike. I have a fancy one from the bike store and a Bell brand one that I bought in Walmart and they are pretty close in terms of accuracy and how they work. Don't spend the money there if you don't have it.

I've tried using my smartphone to track my rides, but it doesn't work very well -- it might be just my phone. It also eats up a lot of battery -- at least on mine!

Remember -- wear a helmet! I'm not worried about you falling off (although I did, long stories for later), I'm worried about a car or another cyclist or a squirrel causing you to fall and hit your head! So wear one!

Bring water with you and your cell phone -- in case you get a flat, you can call someone.

And remember, bikes are really easy, simple mechanical rides. There's nothing complicated about them, they just look like they are. The only reason some can cost more than a small Korean car is because they are made out of crazy light materials (which makes it really expensive) so they only weigh like 3 lbs soaking wet. Other than that, it's the same machine as the one the kid is riding down the street. Don't ever let anyone make you think otherwise!

P.S. I love the trykes too, we wanted to get one for my mother who doesn't ride. But she refuses to get on one, even an adult tryke. *sigh*

Last edited by Rana; 06-17-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:38 PM   #33  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

Rana, that was great information!

I've ridden a few more times since last posting, and my endurance is improving
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote