3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Pilates - can it be effective at home?

Old 04-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/168/150

Height: 5'7

Default Pilates - can it be effective at home?

Hi all,

Since really starting my exercising up again in January, I've been keen to add pilates to my repertoire for a number of reasons:

1) to help with my posture - I am very 'wonky' when I feel that I'm standing straight, I'm actually well tipped with my shoulders on an angle the left much lower than the right. I believe this to stem back to various injuries sustained falling off horses when younger including broken ribs and a collar bone. I know have absolutely no pain, but am just wonky!

2) to help my balance - Just because I'm far more wobble than I'd like!

3) to help my breathing - I'm working hard to improve breathing techniques, but believe pilates will benefit this further

4) to help with core strength

5) to assist in the shifting of my last stone

6) to help me get my head in a better place

So, I guess my first question is, people who are familiar with pilates is, can it help me with these things? From the reading I've done I believe it can, but is it true for others in reality?

Also, I have a problem tht all the places that do pilates classes local to me put them on at times that I can't make, so I'm unable to go and join a group beginners class.

Do people believe I can get the full benefit of pilates minus the instructor and from a DVD or book instead? How about going for an initial 1on1 session, and then continuing with a book/DVD? (These sessions are 40 for 1.5hours, so I wouldn't be able to afford more than one)

If a book/dvd is a viable option, do people have suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance for anyone who can help

Taking a break from the scale, but BACK WITH A BANG! When I'm back in the UK in April 2013 I hope to be lower than 168, which is from July 2012ish and the lowest I got before some regaining. Until then, it's all about good food and exercise and no obsessing over numbers!
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Just watch me ...

Hi control

Pilates is a great mind/body practice that can definitely help. I would definitely recommend Pilates, and I would definitely recommend a 1:1 session with a certified instructor. It may be expensive, but your instructor will be able to assess you and show you proper technique, which is key. Then you practice happily and effectively on you own - either with a book or dvd - your instructor may be able to make a recommendation. If you could practice, say, once a month either private or group to keep your form on point that would be great.

Good luck and enjoy
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
I'm Defying Gravity!

S/C/G: 240/237/199

Height: 4'10

I don't have the money for expensive classes (or the transportation, but that's beside the point), so I've been using DVDs. I like Mari Winsor's series. I've already lost 2 inches on my waist and 1 inch on my hip just doing pilates for a couple of weeks.

New Exercise Regimen:
Walk Away the Pounds Dvds: 3xs a week
Quick Callanetics Dvds: 7xes a week
Jari Love Dvds: 3xes a week

Let's do this!!!
Serval87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.