3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   My first 5k time trial (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/256474-my-first-5k-time-trial.html)

autodidact 04-07-2012 10:45 PM

My first 5k time trial

This morning, Easter Sunday, I ran 5k for the first time.

I mapped out a route from my house using google maps, and set off.

I started running 5 weeks ago, with a run/walk programme, and had got up to 35mins out, and 5 mins of running interspersed with 1 min of walking.

I have a 5k race on 20th May, and i wanted to know i could cover 5k! I did not time running and walking periods, but I did time the whole thing. I ran and walked as I felt like it and I did it in 48.07. hardly a championship time, but a personal best (of course, how could it be anything else...this was my first 5k!)

I now have an aim for the race, come in under 40 minutes.

I have another aim...I am not going to weigh myself again until the day after the race. I find the natural fluctuations too much to bear. Up a pound and I am in the depths of despair, down a pound and the flags are flying and I'm singing from the rooftops.

Have fun running!
Auto

free1 04-08-2012 03:42 PM

Cheering you on....I started C25K almost 2 weeks ago. Hopefully, I'll be joining you on that 5K in a couple of weeks. :)

berryblondeboys 04-08-2012 04:04 PM

3.1 miles is nothing to sneeze at. The lake just outside my house has a path- going around twice is 2.7 miles. I'm trying to imagine running around it a bit more than two times without stopping and it seems impossible, doesn't it? When you're a beginner at least. I can walk it 14.30 minute miles, but running seems so out of reach for now!

Good for you! You'll get there for sure!

autodidact 04-08-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free1 (Post 4285133)
Cheering you on....I started C25K almost 2 weeks ago. Hopefully, I'll be joining you on that 5K in a couple of weeks. :)

Cheering back at you as well. I found starting week 3 dreadful, really hard, but I pushed through and now I love going out....well I do when I get out there! I keep telling myself I'm just going for a walk! Once I'm out of the door, I'm fine and I run!

Well done on starting C25K, keep us posted about how it goes!

auto

lovemydoggiesx2 04-08-2012 04:40 PM

Great job. I have a 10k on the 22nd, and am so nervous I might die before I finish. I can do 8k in 60 mins, but havenīt made it to 10k yet. My goal is to do the entire thing in 60 minutes.

Be super proud of yourself. It might not be a full marathon, but girl it is harrrddd work and you deserve a ton a credit for doing this! Awesome job and I wish you all the best with training these next 10 days. Remember not to do anything exercise related the day before the race, your muscles shouldnt be stressed!

Good luck again and make sure you post about the outcome!

autodidact 04-08-2012 04:51 PM

Oh Sarah! 10k!

I am sooooo impressed. One day i shall be there too! I am sure you will manage the 10k in 60mins if you can do the 8k in that because the excitement of the race will spur you along. Along the lines of 'that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger'!

free1 04-09-2012 11:40 AM

AUTODIDACT....Thanks so much.

I did W2D2 today and it felt much better than W2D1 for some reason. To be honest, the thought of W3 is daunting. I thank the LORD everytime the 90-seconds are over in W2. 3 minutes of running in W3 just seems so far fetched right now but I'm going to give it the good old college try. :)

autodidact 04-10-2012 04:55 PM

Free1...If week 3 is too much, repeat week 2. It really is better to go slow and steady, rather than push too much, get injured and give up!

I say this from the lofty heights of week 7!

auto

free1 04-10-2012 10:41 PM

Autodidact...Thanks, it helps to hear from someone who actually survived the week I'm on :)