Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM   #91  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

5 mile treadmill run today -- intervals to try to get my speed back up. Still slow, still taking some walk breaks, but definitely seeing progress. I remember the days when I could hop on the TM and knock out 10 min miles all day long .... maybe someday ....
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #92  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Well darn it... i had a good thing going with the running there, (for 4 whole days) Hey! it was a streak non-the-less, and THEN....

i FINALLY bought my dream road bike!! i just went out on sat night and DID it! ive been wanting one for a couple years now, literally, and with me being so athletic, and so endurance focused, i KNEW i was going to love it, so i wasnt going to buy a cheap bike, and then have to upgrade in 4 months, kWIM?

So i found this 2000 bike, worth 3000 at LEAST, and on sale for 1299. I couldnt RESIST.
Bought the bike, and now im ALL about it. hehe. I want to ride to work everyday, im planning 40-50 mile rides for every day on the weekends for the next couple weeks, til im ready to up that and head into the mountains... my biggest fear is CARS. But Colroado is VERY road bike friendly. Most of the roads are designed with large shoulders for road bikes, and people here know to watch out for riders, etc... but STILL.... its very scary. I rode into work yesterday and had to be a "vehicle" the whole way. Enjoyed it though. i wish i didnt have school two nights a week or i could ride in more often.
But the way i see it, the road bike is paying for itself. Everyday i ride into work i save 10 dollars on parking ( i work in downtown Denver). Do that 2-3 days a week and i save 120 to 150 bucks a month! thats how much my paytments are for the bike (6 months, interest free)

Now i just have to figure out how to make time to ride in the am AND run.....

Last edited by mkroyer; 04-11-2012 at 10:27 AM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #93  
Tellin' it like it is!

Chickadee-- i hate to say it, but i told you so GREAT JOB on getting out there and doing it!! iknew you were ready!

Ummm---re: heel striking, barefoot running, arches, etc....

its defniitely NOT for everyone. HOWEVER, i you ARE a heel striker, an dy our DOCTOR says its causing problems ( not the 18 year old "specialtst" at Road Runner Sports) Then i do suggest trying barefoot running.... like, literally. either barefoot on your treadmill, or go out to the local HS track/football field. Take off your shoes and socks and either run on the track, or if your are a wuss (JUST KIDDING) run in the grass, parrallel to the track, for a couple laps. Your calfs will make you pay the next day, but you will definitely "unlearn" heel striking" Do that once a week, or so, to stay on top of it. It will forc eyou to ball/forfoot strike, and force you to keep your feet under you. It will also force you to lead your stride from the hips, and NOT from the knees ( heel strikers lead their strides with their knees) You dont have to go out and buy a 100 dollar pair of vibrams
Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 AM   #94  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

mkroyer - how cool you got a bike!! I'd love to get a road bike someday, I'm stuck with my mountain bike for now.

Did 3 easy miles today. I think I have been doing too much of a forefoot strike, does anybody know if that would give you calf pain? I was pretty sore and tight from running in my Merrells yesterday too. I did a warm up routine and some jump rope and jumping jacks to make sure I was really warmed up. I tried to go easy and be light on my feet and most of the run was okay. I may just have to resign to going back to only running 3 days a week. I don't want to do that!
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #95  
Tellin' it like it is!

BigKnit-- YES, a forefoot strike would give you calf SORENESS......But as your body is/becomes adjusted to the techniques, that sorenss should dissapate
Old 04-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #96  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

My husband has been plagued with calf problems and purchased a pair of calf compression sleeves for running. I haven't tried them myself, but he swears by them. He hasn't had any calf issues since. I had other friends that have had good success with them too. Your calf issues may just be due to adjusting to your new gait, but trying out the compression "sleeves" wouldn't hurt (except, maybe, in the pocketbook).

Also - you mention jumping jacks as a warm up ... those kill my calfs. Maybe an added stressor?
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #97  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

mkroyer - Something to think of for sure, my shins are still really sore. I do dog agility and just running on the padded floor there made them hurt though I'm hoping it was just the amount of sudden starts, stops and direction changes. I may try changing my striking before I try barefoot though. I'm also going to try strengthing my anterior tib muscles and quadriceps, I read that's supposed to help both shin splints and falling arches. How about pictures of you and the bike? Is 40-50 miles your commute to and from work or just what you want to ride? It would take me a week to ride that far!

Cherrypie - Good luck with your surgery!

MBN - How are they supposed to help?

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 04-11-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I love the ideas here!!!!

I am a heel striker It was very uncomfortable trying to change stride today, so I think I am going to work on my shins.

I also realized that I don't have the oppurtunity to use stairs in daily life, my work is on first floor and I have no reason to go upstairs in my house (only the kids' rooms up there, older kids).

I attempted to do jump rope to warm up, light jumps but landing on the balls of my feet. I will continue to work on this, I wasn't able to do many
And there are some stairs down by the river leading to the bike paths that I am going to try and workout on. Will look silly at first I am sure!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #99  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

MK - You KNOW you can totally do both, **** do both in one day! My DH is getting back into biking, so excited he's actually taking interest in his health and I'm thinking I may do some biking myself at some point.

Intervals today - 800s at 10k pace - 45-60s...5 miles total, whoa...it was a tough workout! But pretty satisfying...if I didn't have these injuries nagging me I think I could have pushed my pace even further which tells me I may not have my 10k pace dialed in just yet.

Great day everyone!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #100  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigknitter View Post

Did 3 easy miles today. I think I have been doing too much of a forefoot strike, does anybody know if that would give you calf pain? I was pretty sore and tight from running in my Merrells yesterday too.
YES! Ever since my first barefoot run I've had sore calves. Like, really sore. Like, 4 days in and I am still feeling it. Haha. And barefoot is also more of a forefoot strike. I am pretty sure I tiptoed a bit too much which is why it's so intense. I am new to barefoot running and I forgot the part where my heel is still suppose to touch the ground a few times. Hihi. Oh well, I am hoping my calves will come out of this a bit stronger than they were.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #101  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

mk - Thank you, and yes, you were totally right. And I was very happy you were! I'm glad you're having such a great time with the bike, but maybe keep running where you can fit it in - you were just starting to have fun with it again!

CherryPie - GOOD LUCK with the surgery! Everything is going to go great, and you are going to be SO happy you took this step. Come and vent when you're frustrated during recovery, and we'll help get you through it. You'll be back to the gym and back to your usual routines in no time, and 6 months from now you'll look back on these next few weeks as just a blip in time.

bpatt: Welcome!! And just sign up for the race NOW. You can already handle the distance, your time right now is totally reasonable, and in 2.5 weeks time you'll be feeling even more confident - and you'll be running even faster on race day with the adrenaline. Just do it!!

I ran my planned 2.5 miles tonight at 5.3 mph, and again upped the speed to 5.5 mph with half a mile to go, and then to 6 mph and 6.5 mph the last two minutes. Feeling really good at 5.5 mph, and then totally beat (in a good way) with those higher speeds at the end. Friday or Saturday I'll be doing my long training run (6.5 miles), and then starting Monday I'll up my speed for the shorter runs to 5.4 mph.

I'll be getting my protocol this week for my next IVF cycle, and then I'll know when I need to take a couple weeks off from the running again after the embryo transfer. Based on the timeline for my last cycle, I'm guessing it will be around May 20. So, once I get past this 10K on Apr 28, I'm going to make a plan to get the most out of my running during those following three weeks that I can.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #102  
Tellin' it like it is!

Chick- im so sorry, i didnt realize you were TTC and having to go to such extents. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that this one takes!!!

Thats got to be exciting too though.... *knowing* the day you are going to become pregnant! The rest of use have to wait till we feel like crap for at least a couple weeks till we have our "DOH!" moment and pee on a stick

I am definitely going to have to figure out a way to do both running and biking. And i have no problem donig both on the same day.. the issue is TIME, at least, during the work week...... And i do feel obliged to see my offspring OCCASSIONALLY, though at this point she's really just raising herself (incredibly independent)
Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #103  
Tellin' it like it is!

Ncueno- im confused... intervals. 10K pace. 800's. 45-60seconds? was that the rest period in BETWEEN the intervals? DO you go to a track for intervals? Just curious. I find it borning to run a track, but when i get really focused on running, its the best way to do short-distance intervals (under 800 meter intervals).
Old 04-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #104  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I ran on the bike path yesterday and managed a mile in 9:30 or something. For some reason I thought I was running a lot more slowly.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #105  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Well I made it through 3 treadmill miles in some new shoes, a little more supportive than what I've been using. It went okay, did my warmup routine and some jump rope before I ran. Going slower seems to help a bit. I don't know what is going on with me Just going to try and strike midfoot from now on and do my best to go slower but with good form, also will keep doing the warmup and cool down routines.

Thanks everyone for all of the input and help!
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote