Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #46  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Yes I'm loving the interaction! Yay!

Hal has great programs for all distances, halfs, 10ks what have you.

That Novice Supreme program looks fantastic and I'm super excited for you Bigknitter!

Chickadee - I'm a little uneducated when it comes to the shorter distances, what your suggesting sounds fine to me, but MK will be better able to answer that for you.

Did my first FIRST training run today - it was a 4 mile speed workout. 4x 400s with a mile warm up and a mile cool down. I need to get out there and do a time trial...I'm kinda shooting in the dark with my training pace times right now. Think I may do that Friday instead of the tempo run...kind of defeats the purpose of the program if I'm not running the proper paces.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49 AM   #47  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
BigKnitter--
However, DONT expect to lose weight by training for a marathon. Another common mistake
Jumping back in after a long absence ... hi everyone

I totally second that comment. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true. For me, when I get to the longer runs (>15 miles), I end up having to taper and recover around them, which impacts my cross training (calorie burn). Plus your body starts demanding more calories to fuel that run, and it's hard for me to find the right balance. Less burn, more fuel = gain (or at least, no loss).

Over the last 18 months, I've run 10 half marathons, 4 marathons, and two 50K ultramarathons. And I've gained 10 pounds. NOT to discourage you from training for marathons, they are a wonderful accomplishment. It's just that you have to really watch intake / outgo, better than I have!

I'm finished with my running season and am going to maintain only moderate running with lots of crosstraining to amp up the burn and try to take off some of these extra pounds. I'm going to take some time off of marathon training.

A week after my last 50K race, the blisters are healing, and I got back on the treadmill for a 4 mile recovery jog/walk. Shooting for 10-12 miles this week, but lots of other training and group ex.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

MBN- WOW!!!!! you are insane! (in an awesome I'm completely amazed kind of way!) Those are amazing accomplishments!

Thanks guys for the recommendations, I'll have to take a look at them. Ran only 2.5 miles yesterday, I usually try not to run several days in a row, my knees don't do so well and they definitly reminded me of that yesterday. Finished though and taking today off. Plus we have family in town maybe just get everyone out for a nice walk.
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #49  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Wow thanks for all of the encouragement ladies! Love it

Well I was going to do 2 miles today, but yesterday my calf was being weird so I wore my compression sleeve all day. Then I decided to start rolling and trying to massage it, maybe I did it too much because it feels kind of crazy today. I do want to go out and do it but I think I will just take the day off and hope it works itself out before my next run on Saturday.

@MBN - That is some amazing running!! Also yes I have been wondering what I will do when the runs get longer, trying to find any info that will be helpful. In fact if anyone has tips or thoughts on nutrition, or wants to share what works for them as far as what to eat I know I would appreciate it Right now I'm really trying to focus more on the fruits, veggies, and getting my protein at 25% of my calories. Most of what I find seems to jive with this, is it really that simple?

Last edited by Bigknitter; 04-05-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #50  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Chickadee: Since Nceuno passed this one off to me... KIDDING

Honestly? do you want my super most HONEST OPINION?

You could run the 10K tomorrow.

If you can run 5, you can run 6.2. An extra 10-15 minutes? Not to mention race day excitement/endorphins? (dont underestimate that)

I think the "10%" rule is taken a bit too literally and seriously alot of the time. Granted, if you are prone to injuries, new to running, etc, the 10% rule is good till you have a feel for the sport, till your body is used to the impact.

Whats your total weekely mileage?

Of course bump the 2 miler up to 2.5 or 3.1..... Youre not following the program anyway (im sorry, i didnt mean that to be mean).

I always found Hals programs to be a bit conservative on the "rest/recovery run" end. Even his advanced prgrams.

i think youre mentally talking yourself down. Ie; if you NEED to step up by half mile increments over the next 3 weeks, then do that..... for confidence, i suppose.

Me? id go out on saturday and run a 6 miler~ THAT would be all the confidence i need to know that i am ready--> AND YOU ARE.

My First 10K (FLASHBACK TIME)--
Id been "working out" for a couple years, consistently, but i was NOT a runner. Maybe a mile here or there on the treadmill....

On Mothers day (middle of Mayish?) I woke up, watched the news, and saw an advertisement for the Bolder Boulder, on Memorial Day. I said to myself, "I think Ill run the Bolder Boulder!" (Say it like Elle on Legally Blonde in your head).

FOr those who are not familiar, the Bolder Boulder is the largest 10K in the world. Kenyan runners, Olympic althletes, all that, PLUS another 50,000 runners on top of that. Huge race, and NOT one you can PR are lol.

So, i had 2-3 weeks to go from NON-runner to 10K completer. I went out that day and i ran 3-4 miles. I ran the next day more, and within 4or 5 days i was up to 5-6 miles. I ran every single day. no rest days (didnt know a THING about running) and on the day of the Bolder Boulder i went out, ran my first 10K in 1:02 something something (EXACTLY a 10 min/mile) and i was HOOKED. I am now competivie at the 10K, locally, and its my favorite distance. Its a HARD HARD distance to perfect, and get faster at.
Marathoning is just about endurance, BOREDOM, and time on your feet (HA!) Love you Nceuno

My point is, its current running "dogma" thats puts boundaries in our heads.

SHATTER THEM

Last edited by mkroyer; 04-05-2012 at 10:19 AM.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #51  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I really, really want to start running... I'm just afraid it will stall my weight loss How did you all conquer that fear and push through?
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #52  
Tellin' it like it is!

eat less then you burn... end of story.

I lost too MUCH weight marathon training (but i wasnt eating enough, and NO CARBS at all) ended up with a LOT of damage, metabolically/hormonally/reproductively.

its ALL ABOUT DIET. Starting running will merely increase your daily caloric burn, and idf you dont give into the " i deserve a ____ becasue i ran" then youll be fine

It entirely different when you start out, in a good way. its not about 2 -5 hour runs, and proper fueling/nutrition strategy, etc.

Put on a pair of running shoes, stay within your points allowed (Dont eat them back, or Activity points or whtever) and enjoy yourself
Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #53  
SGeranium

Height: 5"8

Wow Kaboom!!!! Nice to see all the activity, well done ladies! So many people with PLANS. I love PLANS!!!!!

My half marathon training is chugging along . I need to get out on trails though as it is a trail half mary. It's just been so impossibly cold and rainy. I can deal with one or the other apparently ......... My hot yoga experiment went super well, if only that wasn't such a time commitment... My hamstring/ Achilles haven't felt this loose in a long time. I just got some compression leg sleeves and I'm excited to try them out. Maybe on a trail run?????

MK: what about Fort Collins? Dh has been lobbying me to move to Fort Collins lately. Thoughts?
SGeranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #54  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

mkroyer, thanks a super ton for all the feedback. I really, really appreciate it. You're probably right that I could do it tomorrow (the 5.1 miles I ran last week was fine, and I knew when I finished that I could have gone longer); it's probably more mental than anything. About 95% of my running is done on the treadmill, which is part of why I feel like I need to work up to the race distance and get comfortable with it before being outside on race day. I'm actually going to go walk the 10K route on Sunday to get a feel for it, but from what I've read it's pretty flat, so that seems encouraging.

Weekly mileage has been pretty consistently around 10 miles/week for the last several weeks (not including any deliberate walking exercise, which probably adds another few miles/wk). Last week's mileage was 11.5, as I did that long run on Friday after a 3 mi and 3.5 mi run earlier in the week. This week was 3 mi on Mon night, 2.5 mi last night, and then if I do the 5.5 mi on Saturday that will be 11 miles.

I'm still somewhat new to running, and still getting used to it a bit I think. I started running in late September when I was pissed off one day, ran a 5K four weeks later, and then had to stop running 2 weeks after that (early Nov) for medical reasons. I started up again in mid-January and ran for 3 weeks, had to stop again for 2 weeks, and then started up again mid-February and have been running since then. So really, I've been a runner for about 15-16 weeks in total, lol. It's only been in the last few weeks that I've stopped thinking, every single time I got on the treadmill for a run, "last time was a fluke. all those previous times were. you can't run, you're not going to be able to do it."

But a little bit of confidence is finally starting to come. My 10K time won't be pretty (I'd love to just get under 1:15, as my long runs on the treadmill will probably be at 4.8 mph), but I think I'll be able to run the whole thing.

I'm totally blown away, btw, that you went out an ran a 10K at all, let alone at a 10 min/mile pace, just 2-3 weeks after starting running!
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #55  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Just want to say ... I am a BIG fan of run/walk interval training for distance races. I understand the goal of wanting to run an entire race without walking, and that's a worthy goal. But, I'm here to tell you, that many people complete all sorts of races (with respectable times) using that strategy.

For me: walking intervals (even if short), give my legs and lungs a break, allowing me to run faster at the end than I would otherwise have been able to go. It's counterintuitive, but it works. Walking isn't a failure, it's a strategy.

A brisk walking pace is 15-16 minutes per mile. A slow running pace is 12-13 min/mi. Throwing in a few walk breaks really doesn't make that much difference in your overall time anyway.

And -- Chickadee, your first race is a guaranteed PR!! Time doesn't matter, only finishing!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #56  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Quote:
Chickadee: Since Nceuno passed this one off to me... KIDDING
I've gotten so lazy LOL!

As always though MK - great advice!

And the eat less that you burn...more great advice. I gained a little towards the end of my training...because...I ate too much...shocking. But I knew what was going on, it was no suprise. Most of what I gained has been lost in the almost three weeks since, so not a big deal.

Eating to fuel running is a different mindset that eating to lose weight, it's a hard thing to navigate sometimes.

I'm "supposed" to be resting today...felt like I kind of need a true rest day...but I really NEED to run today...so we'll see if I'm able to sneak out of the office early and squeeze one in.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #57  
Tellin' it like it is!

Ncueno--- youll KNOW what the proper paces are, in the FIRST program..because they will be *too* hard.
Im serious. You run in your comfort zone. Say goodbye to THAT...you will TRULY KNOW what it feels like to be uncomfortable.
Are you doing the FIRST marathon prgram? Half marathon? 10K?
I remember training with FIRST for a 10K to work on my speed, and a tempo run called for 6 miles ~ 2 mile warm up, and 4 miles in under 28 minutes. I thought i was going to die. I didnt make my time goal on that training run. But it was close, and so was the food and stomach bile rising in my throat the whole 4 miles.

The prgram is no joke. BUt it WILL make you better

You can use your comfort zone pace. Call that your "easy/long run/recovery pace" ( i dont remember the specific terminology used). And use the tables from there. Youre threshold is prob goning to be approx 90 seconds to 2 min per mile faster. Thats what your tempo runs will be at. Ya. Thats right. Get comfortable being uncomfortable. And remember, you can do ANYTHING for 20 minutes, or 30 minutes, or 1:30 seconds, etc.......

The hardest for me was the "long runs" and the paces i weas suppsed to hit on those........ My long runs are comfy (arent they all?). I dont think i ever really hit the right paces on a one of the long runs. Maybe *Overall* ~ as in, hauling butt faster than prescribed when i could ( at the end, or going downhill or on fast flats) but overall i was not able to maintain their paces for 8-10 miles staight.

Ummm... Good luck!!!

So, i actually RAN this morning. WOW,. On a treadmill, but i ran, none-the less. Tomoorw i have an a.m. Dr. appt, so i plan on running again, only outside this time.. its Been a LONG TIME since ive run outside in the early morning. I need to "train" my legs to move that fast again when i wake up.
Then my daughter has a soccer game at 9 :30 am on Sat, morning, so it looks like i will do ANOTHER early morning run.....

Thast my plan, anyway..... 3 days straight of morning running and i just *might* start to find my groove again

Of course they will be sloppy, and HEAVY, and slow, but i need to forge the habit again. When im running (i mean, consistently) i love running. When i am NOT running consistently, i dread it, and its a real crap shoot whether or not i have a good run or a bad run

Last edited by mkroyer; 04-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Did a mile on Tuesday with my new shoes, felt fine on Wednesday so I went out and did a mile. Now I got shin splint pain again. Took today off and just stretched. Think I will be ok, might walk the whole way tomorrow & try sprinting on Saturday.

I suppose there is no way in knowing whether it's my shoes or my weight causing the pain.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #59  
Tellin' it like it is!

So, got there and ran this am... day 1, down lol. it wasnt AWFUL.... i mean, *I* was awful, but the run wasnt. it felt good to get out there, even if i only ran for about 40 minutes ( wuth a little walking whenever i felt uncomfy). i went to this lake where there was a porta-potty basicallt in view at all times. This is a huge psychological issue for me. It wasnt too cold ( another issue) my feet oved anf felt fine ( another *cough* excuse).
Isnt that what thy all are anyway?

i was blessed today though, because of my early doctors appt i actually got to SLEEP IN an hour, and STILL run. Im usually at work by 7, which means i wake up by 5 to get to the gym before work, etc.
I recently chppoed (*cough* shaved) my hair off, all except for the VERY front, and bleached the entire thing the brightest, yellowest, brassiest blond you ever saw.... so it only takes me 15 minuts to get ready.

i LOVE the feeling of cutting my hair off, and completely changing my look. Its very liberating. I always do something like that, or get a tatoo, whenever i break up with a boyfriend...... heh.
happy trails
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #60  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

mkroyer: Guess to those sayings on the bottom you could add...I don't cry I MAKE CHANGE
Today I ran my 5 mile route it felt great did it inaround 53 min. I was late starting my Garmin. BUT today I had TUNES I was a happy runner:] I got my new iPod got it downloaed with 2 1/4 hrs fast songs and set on shuffle all favorites so it keeps me happy!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote