Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 138/132.8/120

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
I started running in January of 2010, could barely make it 5 minutes, two weeks ago today, I ran a marathon! So anyone can do this so let's do it!

That is certainly an inspiration! I'm trying to run a 10K by June 9th. Right now I can walk/run 5K in about 34 minutes and can run 2 miles approx without stopping. I have a ways to go, but I think I can make it!

This morning (I go to the gym at 6am), I did HIIT. - six 60s intervals at 9.0 followed by 60s fast walk at 4.0 (with warm up/cool down).

Thanks for the thread, I'm not a natural runner so I need the motivation!

Last edited by LovelyAndLosing; 04-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.
LovelyAndLosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone,

I'd love to join in. I am running about 3 miles right now. Taking it slow after a couple knee surgeries. I just registered for an 8k at the end of the month. Working towards a half, depending on how i hold up. You guys are great motivation!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #18  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

I'm getting back to where I was in the winter/spring when I was running more regularly. On Friday after work I ran about 5 miles and only took a total of ~2 minutes in walking breaks. My total time was just about 55 minutes, not fast but I was very pleased and encouraged.

I started smoking again and that impedes my running ability - I am hoping that by keeping running I'll phase out smoking "naturally" like I did in the fall of 2010.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #19  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Ran my usual 4 mile route today. Super windy my time was a bit slower but great run...my walkman decided to work today.Shuffle arrives later this weekno more temermental music!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #20  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Hey... me again.... I missed my run on friday, so ran on saturday and skipped my sunday run. Thought I'd run today but didn't turn on my alarm so didn't get up (of course). I've been doing quite a bit of running, I have a pain in my left shin to the right of the bone. It doesn't seem like a shin splint but I guess it could be. I'm thinking I need to stick to the plan and no do so much extra distance (even though I really want tooooooo!). They say you can't/shouldn't increase speed and distance at the same time. I'm still hoping to do a 10k in July.

Cherrypie - Do you run with the dogs in your avatar? I've ran with my older dog last year and I'd really like to run with the both him and the younger one this year. I'm not sure how I'll manage to run with 2 dogs though! How did you start out? Even my older dog isn't that well trained for running, he's probably forgotten everything since we haven't ran together since last fall. I'm also worried about just taking one since there is a jealously issue between them.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Yes I do run with my boys! I bought a tandem lead from Amazon - I hook the leash to that and then wrap the leash around my hand several times so they don't have a ton of lead.

My boys are very well trained but sometimes my white boy will get really excited - especially at the start of a run - and will try to get my brindle boy to play - jumping and biting at him - while we run. They don't typically get into the groove until a mile in.
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #22  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Well that's more like it!! Page two and its already day 2!

I also have posterior tibial tendonitis. I use an extra arch support when it flares up and I just got some KT tape for this latest flare up. God forbid I actually take time off running. I usually have the most trouble with it when my milage gets high.

Yesterdays run was an amazing trail run, my first, until I started my period at mile 6 (sorry tmi) then I ran in misery for another mile before I finally called it and walked home.

Starting a modified version of the FIRST training program Wednesday, modified meaning I won't be running at 100% effort for another week or two. My next race is June 3rd...still undecided on the half or full at this point.

Sounds like everyone is doing fantastic! Keep it up!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #23  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi to all the April runners!!

I did my first run at a new speed tonight, 3 miles @ 5.3 mph. It was tough the last mile, but that always seems to be the case when I increase the speed. Either way, that's the fastest steady-pace run I've ever done, so I was pretty happy when I finished.

Wednesday night will be 3.5 miles at the same speed, and another 3 miles at that speed on Friday night, and then I'll try to up the pace again on Sunday to 5.4 mph. I suspect that I might need to start adding an extra run into these sets before increasing the speed (4 runs at each speed, rather than 3)... my legs seem to do fine, but my lungs may need a bit more time to catch up. My goal this month though is to get to the point where I'm running at 5.5 mph comfortably.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #24  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

HI all,

I'd by no means call myself a runner, more of a pretty poor jogger who cycles between getting half way through C25K and giving up, then nothing for a few months until I try (and fail!) again.

But, this time, I'm hoping it'll be different, as my running is happening alongside gym classes which I never did before, and I know my general cardio fitness is much better than in the past, so I'm hoping I can make a runner of myself yet!

Signed up to a 5k on May 20th for Cancer Research, and I'd LOVE to be able to jog my way around, but I've a long way to go!

I'm loosely following C25K, but trying to use my past failures to guide me as to where I need to tweak the program to make it work.

I find that on flat/slightly downwards rolling ground I could probably go along way now, I've finally developed a comfortable gait, worked out the breathing and seem to be able to zone into my music and just keep going. HOWEVER, add in a hill or any real sort of incline and I really struggle, both my legs and my lungs can't take hills! If I manage to talk myself into not giving up and keep going (albeit very slowly) I do find that my recovery time is pretty short once I either get to the top of the hill or get to a walking interval, but whilst actually in the hill run, I find it massively tough.

So, I come here looking for advise really. What is the best way to train myself to be a 'better' hill runner? Is it simply by running hills as often as I can and pushing myself? Id it by mixing hill runs with runs without hills? Or can I do something completely different from running that will help me with my stamina? Any ideas massively appreciated. I really hope to one day be writing that I AM a runner, rather than a hopeful!
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #25  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Krampus--- im right there with you on the smoking... bleh.
i HATE myself as a smoker, and its kind of embarrassing hiding behind dumpsters BEFORE a race to puff one down real quick, lol. oh ya, and i livei n Colorado--the healthiest ('read pious) state, right? I cant even go into the City of Boulder without being ostracized because my shoes arent recycled, i dont drive a subaru, i smoke cigs (which is outlawed in the city) but i dont smoke pot, and i work for an oil and gas company... blah blah blah
i have nothing of importance to contribute to this thread at the moment

Aunty-- sounds like shin splints -- sorry. get em checked out by a SPORTS doc if it continues. The right shoes will solve the problem though, or re-learning to run will (new shoes are easier tho)

Ive been slowely comingo outta my funk. Looking to get financed to buy this really nice road bike. Ive been skiing, even got my pass for next year...... the running will come, i think.......i hope.......
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #26  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

Today was my first run after a break for a week. My shins are not sore. I stretched and I put ice on them right after my run. I also had a short run. So I think I am fine!

Did 2miles in 20mins. I usually run 11.5min/mile so I really had to push myself. My heartrate is usually around 165-170 when running and now it went to 190 here and there. LOL. Anyhow, it was awesome. I am gonna do that once or twice a week and do long runs on the other 2/3 running days I think. I don't like real tempo-runs the way they are suppose to be done with certain distances or building up to speed because it means I have to really pay a lot of attention. This I just do by running faster than normal and slowing when my heartrate hits 185/190 to bring it back to 175 again. No clue if it's effective. I'm just doing my own thing. Any tips are welcome!
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #27  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

mkroyer, I shouldn't find others' addictions comforting, but I do - you're proof one can run marathons AND smoke (Of course we should quit so we don't die horrible deaths). I live in a pretty non-health-focused area and I think living somewhere like CO or Seattle or Portland would make me want to rebel and start littering or something dumb.

Ran about 3 1/2 miles yesterday, I had nothing but PF Chang's fueling me (dinner, and leftovers for lunch the next day) and I was exhausted by the time I was done. Better fuel myself with better fuel.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #28  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Cherrypie - so your boys are ahead of you when you run? How do you like it that way? I've always read it's best to have them beside you in a heel position. I have a problem with my older one tugging on the leash... he's an odd dog, the trainer says he's an all or nothing type, so when he's walking he's WALKING! He wants to go as fast as he can and as far as he can, he's a bit of a neurotic border collie cross. My other boy tends to follow him but he's not a puller. I'm thinking I'll use a halti on the old guy and their short leashes and start walking them up and down the block for training. How old are yours and how long have you been running with them?

Mkroyer - Colorado sounds like an interesting place! I've always wanted to visit, but recycled shoes? I used to smoke so I can understand your pain. I quit about 7 years ago and it was probably the hardest thing I ever did in my life. I couldn't imagine trying to run while being a smoker. I've taken a few days off, I was really going hard, doing 7-ish k every other day instead of my regular 5k and faster to boot. that was probably my bodies way of saying "To much! To soon!". I'll be running tomorrow (providing I can get up!) but just my usual 5 k, I'm going to stick to the program!

kcrampus - Good luck quitting, it was the hardest but probably the best (or second best) thing I ever did. And I agree with you about the food.... when I eat crud I feel like crud.

Ncuneo - Another race already? Have you fully recovered from the other one yet?

Last edited by Aunty Jam; 04-03-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

Aunty Jam -- I run with my Husky/Australian Shepherd cross. He would like it very much if I ran 10-12 miles a day. I disappoint him by only running 4-6, then he gets a 2.5 mile walk with my husband in the afternoon and a much shorter walk in the evening.

Until a few weeks ago, we were running in a gentle leader and I kept him in the heel position. I've been transitioning to just attaching the leash to his neck collar and that has been going ok. He still is just beside me. He has a hard time not reacting to quickly approaching bikes and dogs and trash trucks.

Having to run him is a great motivator for me and gets me out when I would much rather sleep in (like this morning). I am training for a half-marathon this fall (I have a long ways to go -- I am still taking walk breaks when I do my six mile loop) and I am thinking he'll be with me every step of the way.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #30  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Aunty Jam...no I am not fully recovered...and I making sure that I am not denying myself that fact, because it would be a crucial mistake to do so. I plan to be super careful with my training rest when I need to and not push when I shouldn't. Because of the weather where I live and familial obligations my training window is very limited so June will be my last opportunity for a full until next year...so I'm going to do it! Just got off the phone with registration and I'm upgraded.

I think what made me do what that I was hesitating to upgrade...couldn't figure out why...then I realized it was because I was afraid of failing...failing at my time goal or finishing slower than my first marathon...but here's the thing...it is very unlikely I will improve my time by much at my second marathon because my training will be limited, I'm not fully recovered and so forth and so on, so I think it will be a really good lesson for me in acceptance...acceptance of things that I can't control, things that are just out of reach for me and my abilities.

I had to accept that I was never going to obtain the body I wanted because...well let's face it, after losing 130 lbs, our bodies just don't look the same...so I had to stop trying to lose weight and stop obsessing about...no I need to do the same with running.

Anyway, this is getting legnthy and I need to process the fact that I just impulsively upgraded my half marathong to full in less than 9 weeks! LOL...seriously though.

Great job everyone! Oh and MK and Krampus - get rid of those cigarettes!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote