Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #136  
Wannabe Loser

S/C/G: 184/138/120

Height: Almost 5'2"

Did another 4 on the treadmill today. I borrowed Curb Your Enthusiasm from the library starting with the 1st season so it didn't suck too bad Actually it was a pretty good run for what it was. I set it at 5 mph and didn't watch the laps or anything, just tried to have good form and nothing hurt! I hope I can get outside sometime this week though! I am itching to get up the canyon and run on a trail!
Bigknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #137  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Hey everyone... I have a bit of a cold/illness I'm supposed to run today, not sure if I will... I really want to ease back into it to avoid the evil shin splints again.

I managed to do 3.5k on Sunday without too much pain. There was a bit so I layed on my couch and iced the worst one after. I can't wait until I can run a decent amount. Well, I know I can, but my body doesn't want to. I just really have to work on those specific muscles.

I also need to look into cross training which is tough because all I want to do is run... what other things do you guys do?
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #138  
Wannabe Loser

I like to do the elliptical and incline walking for cross training but I also want to start biking more, and learn how to swim better.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #139  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Thanx for all the warm welcomes I already love this thread!

I had hills training yesterday. I HATE hills training. They make me feel like I'm back at the beginning when I started running... I feel so out of comfort zone (I know it's their goal... but still... LOL)

I went from 4 hills repetitions last week to 5 times yesterday. I felt less exausted than last week after it too... weird, huh?

I red somewhere ''Hills is speedwork in disguise''. I totally beleive it now LOL

Hope everyone is doing well!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #140  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

It hasn't been very nice here this past week, gusts of 50 mph winds & threats of snow. Kept working on my jumping, stretching & shins.
Went out yesterday & did my mile. For my sprints, I slowed it down a bit & paid more attention to my form. It was awkward but I feel really good today so I must of done something right!
I am running on a dirt road that has alot of hills. I paid attention to that too & tried to run on the flatter parts. Will work up to being able to do the hills.

Just wanted to thank you all for your posts! I have thought about quitting several times, but then I come back here & read how everyone is doing. Great inspiration!!!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #141  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow...this thread has really taken off this month. It's good to see so many people participating.

I ran a full marathon on Sunday, so I am taking this week off of running. I am working on relaxing.

My son and I are registered to run the Oklahoma City Memorial half marathon on April 29th. It is his first, although he was a Marine, so he's used to pain and forced marching. LOL

It looks like everyone is doing great. I would like to throw into the discussion that I am also a barefoot runner, although usually here in Texas, the pavement gets very hot. So, I normally wear my Vibrams or minimalist shoes. I had a wicked heel strike in the beginning, which caused all kinds of different overuse injuries. Slow, careful, determined switching to barefoot running has resolved these problems for me. Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in there.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #142  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Bigknitter - I do about 95% of my running on the treadmill, in part because I always exercise at night on weekdays. Every few weeks I get outside for a run on a weekend, but to date I've not done a run longer than 5K outside. Outside feels harder to me - so I don't know how you and others manage that all the time! I hope it will stop raining for you so that you can get back outside soon.

shananigans: And again I'm the opposite, LOL. The hills and inclines kill me! Pushing either way has got to do some good things though. I did some sprints tonight, and I'm going to try to get back into the habit of doing them once/week.

Turbo: Another one with the hills! OK, maybe I have to give them another chance. They sound totally miserable though.

Aunty Jam: I usually do the bike or eliptical (or lately, just a good brisk walk), but I think tomorrow I'm going to try some rowing for my cross! I definitely felt like both the bike and eliptical were good when I couldn't run. I hope your shins are totally recovered soon so that you can get back to it.

drake: You're doing great too. Keep going, you won't be sorry you did!

milmin: Congratulations on the marathon!! How are you feeling?

I did 3 miles at 5.4 mph tonight, and it was still pretty tough the last mile but felt better than on Monday, so that was a relief. I walked for about 8 minutes after, and then did some walk/sprint intervals which were totally energizing. Good thing, as it's motivation to do them again next week. Tomorrow will be a cross day, Friday my rest day, and then Saturday will be a slow 7.5 mile run - the last long one before the race the following weekend, woohoo!

A question for everyone: It seems that lately when I push myself harder than usual (the intervals after a tough run tonight, the 7 miles on Saturday, etc.), I feel some stomach discomfort (not pain, exactly, but maybe a mix of nausea and bloating-like pain?) about 45 minutes or an hour after I finish. I'm fine right after... it's about the time that I sit down to eat something that I start to feel it. Has this happened to anyone else? It's not really a problem (it's not debilitating or anything), I'm just curious.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #143  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Chickadee-- sorry, im not sure about the pain youre feeling in your stomach... :| the only pain/discomfort i ever feel is a bad case of runners trots (sorry, TMI) this has been the case ever since i ran the Phoenix Marathon. At this point, it is 100% psychological, i know, but im terrified tor un outside anywhere where there isnt a bathroom of some kind in sight, or within 5 minutes of anywhere i am.....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #144  
Wannabe Loser

Well I had planned to go outside today, but I decided to give my kid a break since she has swim lessons and a soccer game later. She rides her bike while I run. It probably would have rained on us anyway

Did 3 miles running and actually did some 1/2 mile intervals, 5.5, 5.7, and then slowly bumping it up to 6.1 and back down. I just couldn't take one more treadmill run at the same speed the whole time. This was all after some weights. I'm glad there is no running tomorrow! I hope I can go biking and maybe swim a little bit for a change
Old 04-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #145  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

chickadee : yeah, hills...! I hate them, but I know they are good for improving, so I kick my *ss and do them! (even if I basically want to die everytime). For you stomach issue, I got a friend who was getting them a lot when she was running for longer than 30 minutes, but they would eventually leads diarrhea... NOT cool

Had a 10k training run tonight. Horrible horrible run. Legs were so off, I had no energy. Had no real fun doing it, I had to repeat during the whole 1h12minutes : you can do it, you can do it, only XX kilometers to go...

Oh well. It's done and all in the past now!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:25 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 242/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Hello! I have been away on holiday and this thread has gone on so fast since I have been gone it will take me ages to catch up!

But hello to you all, and i hope you have had fun running. I will read all about it over a cup of tea later.

BUT, first I have to brag. I did a HUGE hill run, I wrote a post about it (called Big Run), and there are photos on my blog. I am so proud I could burst!

That is enough bragging for now. I'm off to make a cup of tea, and read what you all have been up to.
autodidact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Got out the last couple of days for my mile. Trying to just listen to my body, during the sprints I slow down when my shins start to tighten up. So far that is going better.

But now my ankles are being goofy. Almost weak. I work with little kids, so I am up and down out chairs all day & the last couple days I felt like I was going to fall over. Little support & sharp pain, until I flex & get my ankle to pop.
Not going out today, going to work on stretching & jumping only.
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #148  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Great week everyone!

MK...sorry but I lol'd at this. You'd die where I live, I'm often miles (unless I want to do enless small loops) from a potty and so far I haven't had to use the bushes...came close though

Did 6 miles of intervals Wednesday, 7 mile (2 easy, 3 tempo, 2 easy) today and will do 16-18 this weekend.

Injuries are feeling really good at this point, everything seems to be healing up. I'm throughly convinced the threadmill aggravated old injuries and I didn't recover long enough from the marathon, but things are feeling good now so I'm proceeding. 2nd marathon in 6 weeks!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #149  
Wannabe Loser

I had a great run today!! Did 6 miles and clocked in at 1 hour! This is a great pace for me. I actually had 2 splits under 10 minutes, 1 at 9:54 and the other 9:46. I was shocked! I went on the gravel trails as much as I could

@ncuneo - glad your injuries are getting better! Hope you have a great long run

@drake - that sucks about your ankles. Take it easy and I hope they feel better soon.

@autodidact - what a nice place to run! I would love to have that kind of scenery. Great job on the hills.

@Turbo - I hate runs like that! Good for you for sticking with it.

Well happy running and I hope everyone has a good weekend!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #150  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Did a slow 7.5 miles on the treadmill today, the last long run before the 10K next weekend. It was pretty rough, I think because I've been super short on sleep the past few days (maybe 10 hours total in the last 3 nights?) and am just really tired all around. I was SO ready to stop at 4 miles, but I just pushed through and got it done. I am going to remember to make sure I'm very well-rested before the race next weekend so that I can hopefully enjoy it.

mkroyer and Turbo, thank you for the feedback! I'm not having that issue (thank goodness, as I can see how that would make you really nervous with your runs mk!), but it's definitely still happening. I tried eating just a bit before my run today and then having some protein right after, but I still felt the same thing - and am still feeling it now, 6 hours later, ugh. It might be the endometriosis, in which case it might be that when this level of exercise becomes more routine for me it will go away.

Bigknitter, holy cow that's fast for 6 miles! I want to get there someday.

ncuneo, I'm really glad to read that your injuries are feeling better! I hope the rest of your training goes smoothly.

auto: Yay on the hill run!!

drake: Do you think it's because you're trying to compensate for the shins, and so running a different way than usual that is bothering your ankles?
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote