Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 24W/10-12/10-12

Height: 5', 5"

Default Starting C25K...ADVICE PLEASE!!!

It's official. I'm starting the C25K program this Sunday. I'm excited but SCARED out of my mind. I've never really run before....I tried short bursts during walks in the fall. As many of you know, I started my weight loss journey above 284 pounds and a size 22/24 (closer to a 24). I refuse to weigh myself because it messes with me mentally but I am now a REGULAR 14 and actually bought (and could fit) some size 12s today.

I started with Walk Away the Pounds and then moved to Tae Bo which I've been doing regularly (the whole video at full length). I alternate between the slower ones and more intermediate ones. My cardio has gotten better with Tae Bo and I can do even the "hard" workouts now without feeling like my heart is going to jump out of my chest.

I've been looking through the new runners sticky and got some good advice there. However, any more suggestions from anyone with experience or who may have used or is doing the program now?

My goal is to run a 5K before the summer is over (can't believe I said that). After that, I want to try a Les Mills Body Pump/Body Step program at my local gym. I think I've gone crazy......
free1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

I made it through the C25k when I weighed about 240 last fall. One of the things that I found difficult about it was that I needed to build strength in my legs in order to run for any length of time. I think that the average C25K-er is just making cardiovascular improvements, but for me my muscles fatigued long before I was out of breath.

What it took for me was expanding the workouts so that I was doing the running for the 20-30 minutes that the program called for but then continuing to walk for another 30-60 minutes. I just couldn't get any improvement with 20-30 minutes three times a week.

The first time I did the program it took me about 15 weeks. I had to repeat weeks 2-3 and then got stuck for a long time on the week that you go from the 8 minute runs to the 20 minute run. After that it was smooth sailing.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #3  
3rd time's a CHARM

S/C/G: 274/259/210

Height: 5'7

I just did the Week 1 Day 1 today. I only made it through 4/6 bursts and had to walk the rest. I am approx 260lb, I've never ran before and I don't know how to breathe when running... so I struggled. But I am going to keep going, even if I have to repeat a lot of days.
chunksoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #4  
3rd time's a CHARM

Oh, and if you have an iphone, there is a FREE app that tells you when to walk/run. You can even play your own music in the background! I thought it was cool

search for get running in the app store and there will be a free one in the top 5 of that search.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #5  

THANKS SOOOO MUCH EVERYONE.....Will look for the app today.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

chunksoflove -- I had a hard time starting out too. You'll be surprised by what you can do by just the end of the first week, though. My rule of thumb was that the last workout of the week had to be pretty easy for me to accomplish before I would move on to the following week.

I'm running 5ks now, albeit slowly, and I still like running in intervals better than 35 minutes all the way through. Less boring that way. But I am much faster and stronger than I was when I started the program. You can do it!
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #7  

Did the running help with weight loss/body changes? I'm concerned about bulking in my legs....
Old 03-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190.8/185/140

Height: 5'8"

oh yeah, running is great for busting belly fat My advice is not to be afraid to extend the wks a bit. I modified a bit. Push yourself, but don't feel like a failure if you can't do the exact program. Eat a complex carb before running and protein after. Look for proper running strides on YouTube. This helped me a ton! You will get shin splints FAST if you don't! Finally, remember that running is a mental game. Learn to keep pushing and you will see that you eventually break through where you can just keep going for miles.
serendipityberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #9  
3rd time's a CHARM

Good advice everyone. Thanks for the motivation
Old 03-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

I've done it, still working on building my foundation of strong shins and muscles. I have shin splints and need to ice them before and after running. I still go back and do walk/run switches.

I haven't changed my eating at all but can tell that it's decreasing fat from my belly and shaping (not bulking) my legs and hips.

Be sure to cross train with core work and strength training. These will help you running.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #11  

Thanks soooo much everyone. My first day is tomorrow around 6:30 a.m. Yeah, early for a Sunday. I'll let everyone know how it goes....

Serendipity....Headed to youtube now!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/197/129

Height: 5'3"

I just did my first C25K day today! So glad I'm not alone. Defenestrator was my role model (thank you!) from when she posted about her 5K on the 40+ board. I figured I can do it, too, even though I'm also terrified. I hate running and have shied away from it in the past, but I figure if I keep the milage relatively low and ease in, I can do it. I'm at 197 and seriously out of shape, but I used the Iphone app today and it was awesome. Told me when to walk and when to run and I could listen to music at the same time. I also just ordered an armband for my Iphone, so I figure I'll be all set.

My running pace was 15/5 minute miles and my walking pace was 16.5 minute miles, if that gives you ANY idea of just how slow my running is. But oh, well--lots of room for improvement!

Idea: should we make this thread our C25K check in? We could post about workouts and how long they took and our progress, etc? I could really use some motivation? We could also start another thread from scratch and invite others to join--thoughts?

~Peri
Periwinkle8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:04 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 188/184/140

Height: 5'5"

This is great information everyone, thanks for posting! I started the C25k last week and am just finishing up Week 1 and about to start Week 2. I've never been a runner but my sister lost a ton of weight this way and is now running marathons. I'm hoping it will help me build up endurance and leg strength as well.

It's encouraging to know that it helps with belly fat; that seems to creep up so quickly on me these days and it's getting so annoying

Right now my boyfriend is coming with me and is acting as my human stopwatch which is great but I think that as it gets harder, I'll want to fly solo to save myself the embarassment if things go wrong. I've downloaded the podcasts and hear they're great for timing/pacing.

Good luck everyone - if so many people have had this much luck, surely there's hope to be found.
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #14  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

I want to start, but I'm worried about my weight loss efforts coming to a halt. I just want to be a normal BMI before something like that happens. I might try anyways. We will see. Let me know how it goes!
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #15  
go ticker go!

S/C/G: 291/245.4/195

Height: 5'10"

I started c25k maybe about 8-9 weeks ago or so. I wasn't afraid to spend more than one week on each "week". The first week was really hard for me - I could barely run for a minute and I was thinking, "how will I ever run 5K?" Well I still don't know the answer to that question, but last night I started week 4, so I now know I am able to run for 5 minutes straight!! I am so proud of myself and can't wait to run my first 5k. I am aiming for September.

Jen
begoodjen is offline   Reply With Quote