Bicycle

• I bought a bike the other day so I could ride with my sons. Wow, it was so awkward at first and my behind was way sore from the seat. Bought a cushioned seat cushion so hopefully that will help. Is anyone using a bike for a lot of their exercise?
  • I am using a bike for my exercise. I do not use it a lot, because just like in your case my behind tends to hurt.

I like long and slow rides through various landscapes. It can be very soothing and calming
  • I just got my mom's old 1978 bike fixed up so I can start riding it. It's way faster than my old bike and I'm quite excited to start using it on a regular basis. Plus this bike can keep up with my husbands fast bike!

Keep riding, your butt will get used to it and won't hurt so much in a week or so!
  • I got a cute pink beach cruiser for my birthday last year and exercise with it, oh my goodness I was by far the WORST when I first started, I felt like a little girl who couldn't figure out how to get the pedals to work. But now I'm wanting to get a more legitimate, sporty bike because I think that will be a lot more helpful in my working out! Haha. But yes, my butt eventually got used to it, as did my legs.

Next step is buying some roller blades!
  • Ah yes, "saddle sore"

Your "perch" or "sit" bones will hurt initially, but if you ride daily for about a week, that pain will go away. If the pain doesn't go away, you might try a different saddle. Terry makes some nice ones-- here's one for a recreational rider.

If you change saddles and still have pain, I would recommend a visit to a bike shop-- they will be able to help you find a bike that you will enjoy riding based on your frame, your reach and your riding style.
  • Bought a bike last year to ride more, but haven't done much of it. I do plan to bike ride this Friday though. My plan is to ride to the grocery store instead of drive, but do far, that hasn't happened.
  • Good idea on riding to the grocery store. I live in a tiny town so I'd have to ride to the next town..not sure I'm quite ready for that..haha. Haven't gotten a chance to ride again..been soooo windy and cold lately.
  • I just bought a used bike a few days ago. I hadn't been on a bike in about 40 years, so I was nervous. But the basics came right back. I plan to use the bike for fun, to commute to work, & maybe to go the gym after I get used to traffic & big hills. For now, I'm just tooling around the neighborhood in the morning. It's fun so far. Saddle soreness has been mild & I know from spin class that it will go away soon.

I tried a free app called MapMyRide yesterday that tracked my distance & route. Check it out if you like that sort of thing.
  • I was pretty nervous at first too. I haven't rode since middle school? Haha I'm 25 now, so lol. Raining today but it's supposed to be nice the next three days.
  • Oh man, I remember when I first rode my bike for a longer time in the forest preserve with my parents... I had to stop. Not because of my legs or me being tired.. It's from the BUTT seat sticking and hurting my crotch haha