My Butt Help !

• OK I'm 44 and I have a FLAT BUTT !!! Finally able to wear cute yoga pants and my a$$ is just flat and square.

Is there a way i can REALLY firm it up to have shape ? Or should I just start saving for a butt lift ??lol
  • I also have a flatt butt..and flat chest..sigh!
  • Squats and lunges are excellent for lifting the butt up.I used to have a flat butt too.
  • Quote: Squats and lunges are excellent for lifting the butt up.I used to have a flat butt too.
    I agree. Squats and lunges are working your glutes like nothing else!
  • Squats, lunges, squats, lunges, squats, lunges... did I mention squats and lunges ... Any and all variations... Google you will find many videos...

Since I've been taking a Group Power class and we do umpteen varieties of squats and lunges I see and feel a big difference in my butt...
  • Definitely squats. However, I don't have that problem..
  • im going to have to offer a different suggestion.....

deadlifts deadlifts and deadlifts.

Without having basically perfect form on squats/lunges(ie; a$$ to the grass) its really hard to fire your glutes correctly and you may end up having your quads do so much of the work. Women physiologically tend to be very quad dominant due to the increase "Q" angle of our pelvic tilt.

Balancing with deadlifts, and other similar exercises is definitely going to make a huge difference-- regular deadlifts, stiff-legged Deadlifts, SINGLE LEG DEADLIFTS (AWESOME FOR QUAD AND CORE WORK), glute/ham raises, good mornings. In all of these exercises you need to focus on initiating the "pull" from your hamstrings, not your back or hips

Also squats/lunges/step ups, etc

Some useful links:
    http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/noglutes.html

And here is an article on 2 common/easy movements to test your personal glute activation
    http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/blog/testing-the-glutes
  • I forgot to mention that i have CRAP FOR KNEES
  • Quote: I forgot to mention that i have CRAP FOR KNEES
    all the more reason to focus on the deadlift and "pulling" style of butt exercises. I know how badly lunges and squats can be/feel on bad knees
  • Not only your knees could be hurting but also your back. You have to pay a lot of attention when doing these exercises, so you do them precisely and you do not put any unwanted strain on your other body parts.

About toning your behind - as it was mentioned here - squats, lunges and deadlifts are the best exercises for your derrier. These exercises can be done in gym with weights or by using various machines but they can also be done easily like home exercises - every time you are carrying some bags or bottles of water - use them!
  • Hamstring/glute bridges have helped my backside. They are also easy on the knees.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTvhSYkDaHM

Not sure if anyone mentioned step-ups. Use a stair or a small step stool and just step up and down. Also works as cardio if you do it long enough!
  • Squats do wonders. Try them with weights in your hands by and in front of your knees. Make sure you knees are right on top of your ankles so that your butt is more back. That's what really works it.

Also bowling lunges.
  • Squats, deadlifts, and kettlebell swings.