Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234.5/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Default Bicycle

I bought a bike the other day so I could ride with my sons. Wow, it was so awkward at first and my behind was way sore from the seat. Bought a cushioned seat cushion so hopefully that will help. Is anyone using a bike for a lot of their exercise?
CurryMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 3"

I am using a bike for my exercise. I do not use it a lot, because just like in your case my behind tends to hurt.

I like long and slow rides through various landscapes. It can be very soothing and calming
MrsCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #3  
...and I need to dance!

S/C/G: 176.6/144.4/140

Height: 5'3"

I just got my mom's old 1978 bike fixed up so I can start riding it. It's way faster than my old bike and I'm quite excited to start using it on a regular basis. Plus this bike can keep up with my husbands fast bike!

Keep riding, your butt will get used to it and won't hurt so much in a week or so!
SisterFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

I got a cute pink beach cruiser for my birthday last year and exercise with it, oh my goodness I was by far the WORST when I first started, I felt like a little girl who couldn't figure out how to get the pedals to work. But now I'm wanting to get a more legitimate, sporty bike because I think that will be a lot more helpful in my working out! Haha. But yes, my butt eventually got used to it, as did my legs.

Next step is buying some roller blades!
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Ah yes, "saddle sore"

Your "perch" or "sit" bones will hurt initially, but if you ride daily for about a week, that pain will go away. If the pain doesn't go away, you might try a different saddle. Terry makes some nice ones-- here's one for a recreational rider.

If you change saddles and still have pain, I would recommend a visit to a bike shop-- they will be able to help you find a bike that you will enjoy riding based on your frame, your reach and your riding style.

Last edited by Erinyes74; 03-21-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: edited for typo
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Bought a bike last year to ride more, but haven't done much of it. I do plan to bike ride this Friday though. My plan is to ride to the grocery store instead of drive, but do far, that hasn't happened.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #7  

Good idea on riding to the grocery store. I live in a tiny town so I'd have to ride to the next town..not sure I'm quite ready for that..haha. Haven't gotten a chance to ride again..been soooo windy and cold lately.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 179/168/130

Height: 5'3"

I just bought a used bike a few days ago. I hadn't been on a bike in about 40 years, so I was nervous. But the basics came right back. I plan to use the bike for fun, to commute to work, & maybe to go the gym after I get used to traffic & big hills. For now, I'm just tooling around the neighborhood in the morning. It's fun so far. Saddle soreness has been mild & I know from spin class that it will go away soon.

I tried a free app called MapMyRide yesterday that tracked my distance & route. Check it out if you like that sort of thing.
yoyomadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #9  

I was pretty nervous at first too. I haven't rode since middle school? Haha I'm 25 now, so lol. Raining today but it's supposed to be nice the next three days.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Oh man, I remember when I first rode my bike for a longer time in the forest preserve with my parents... I had to stop. Not because of my legs or me being tired.. It's from the BUTT seat sticking and hurting my crotch haha
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote