Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #1  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Bruised toenails from running

I've been running 3 to 4 miles three times a week for about a month now and noticed that my big toe was sore last week. Tonight, I took off my dark nail polish and noticed that my big toe had a bruise covering half of it. No wonder it was sore!

Has anyone else had this happen? I did a google search and found that marathon runners have this happen and they have to lance the toe and the nail falls off??? How awful! I think I just have a bruise, not that problem?

Does anyone have any experience/advice on this?

Thank you!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/(ticker)/155

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBreeze2010 View Post
I've been running 3 to 4 miles three times a week for about a month now and noticed that my big toe was sore last week. Tonight, I took off my dark nail polish and noticed that my big toe had a bruise covering half of it. No wonder it was sore!

Has anyone else had this happen? I did a google search and found that marathon runners have this happen and they have to lance the toe and the nail falls off??? How awful! I think I just have a bruise, not that problem?

Does anyone have any experience/advice on this?

Thank you!
This hasn't happened to me, but I read on a runner's blog that she suggests you get new shoes- go to a running store and get fitted- to help avoid this.
Underwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #3  

Google black toenail. (You might want to turn images off in your browser if you're sensitive about that kind of thing.)

Lancing the nail now won't make a difference-- either you'll keep the nail or you won't (and it will grow back). Generally, you lance the nail when the bruise under the nail happens because it hurts less if the blood has somewhere to go, if the pressure is removed. Days later, the blood's dried so there's no upside.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/205/185

Height: 5'10"

I wear size 12 in shoes but get 13 in running shoes. Your feet swell when you run. Try a 1/2 or full size bigger than your normal size shoe.

Last edited by geobuilder; 02-06-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: spell check
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

I had this happen when I was 16 by wearing my mother's running shoes that were a size too small. Never again!

Both of my big toenails turned black and I went to my podiatrist as soon as possible. My mother had told me that they would just drain out the blood (I don't know where she got her info from) but I went in there feeling pretty good. The doctor ended up taking both of my toe nails off and it was ****. The nails did eventually grow back but they're thicker and look slightly different than they did before.

Good luck and I hope everything works out.
sapphiregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Yep, I always get a half to full size larger running shoe... Make sure your toes can wiggle a lot in them...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Yep, your shoes are too small. I wear an 8.5-9 in regular shoes and a 9.5 iny running shoes. Even then you may still get bruised toenails, I do. I've pretty much had to give up cute toes for running :/
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #8  
Positive Focus

Thank you ladies for all of your responses!!

Uck! So, you think that it will need to be lanced and fall off? Eww! It doesn't hurt now unless you push on it (like a typical bruise). Maybe if I keep running on it, it will get worse? I can't stop running - I am somewhat addicted! LOL

I did just get new running shoes for Christmas. Darn. I am not looking forward to forking out for a new pair. Maybe the store would take an exchange without a receipt this late? I guess it's worth a try.

I have an orthotic to prevent me from pronating in my shoe (custom made after an ankle injury two years ago). Maybe just taking that out would do the trick to give me more space? The shoe itself is designed to help with that. I've read that orthotics are not necessary in running shoes? Maybe it's just overkill. I am over the injury (losing weight solved that problem for me!).

I think I'll take the shoes to the store and see if they will let me exchange this far out. If not, I'll pull out the orthotics and try that until I can get the $ for new shoes.

I like my pretty toes! I run for so many reasons, but I'll admit that vanity is one of them. I don't want to give up my toes. <whine> But, if I had to choose between my butt and my toes, it would be my butt every time! LOL

Thanks again!!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #9  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Yup... sounds like your shoes are too small .

This happened to me a few years back and when I finally went into the clinic I had gangrene!! Please go get it checked out. I almost lost my foot!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #10  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I have lost almost every toenail on both feet to this same problem, and my shoes are not too small. You don't need to lance it unless the pressure is noticeable or unbearable. You will most likely lose that nail. If you decide to keep running, regardless of what your toenails look like, you will look at it like a badge of courage. LOL. Seriously. I have run several marathons. However, I personally know quite a few runners who never have this problem. Perhaps its also tender feet?
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #11  
Positive Focus

Thanks everyone!

Update: I did buy a pair of shoes in a 1/2 size bigger and I feel like there's more room in the toe box. I've been able to run without the bruise worsening. I think it's "growing out." Still about half of my toenail and very black, but no pressure.

I'll just have to keep an eye on my toes knowing that I have a tendency to bruise. Maybe I'm just an easy "bruiser." I rolled out my quad the other night and it always bruises up afterwards too. Lovely! Battle scars everywhere - good perspective!