Runner's pity party

• I went to my dr today because I was having severe calf pain. I am well hydrated, stretching like I should, but the calf pain is still there. He thinks it *may* be compartment syndrome. If it is I won't be able to run anymore. For now he wants me to cut back on mileage, warm up longer, stretch more after, and take some Rx anti-inflammatories for 2 weeks. If I'm not feeling better by then he's going to order more testing.

I've just really started running, and now I may have to stop? I'm so sad. I know I will still be able to do other things, but once you've experienced the runners' high it's hard to walk away from it.

Thanx for reading.
  • How long are you running for?

I have the same bad calve pains. Mine are on the inside of my calves. When I got my shoes from Runners Den, he was looking at how I walk and told me that I need to stretch my calves more.

I don't know if it is the same for you or not. But since then I have been REALLY stretching them, and they have loosened up. They don't hurt when I walk anymore now. Yay!

Good luck!
  • Last Wednesday I went for 4 outside. Saturday I was supposed to go 6. I had to go on a treadmill due to weather and barely made it 3. It might just be the treadmill running, after the 4 outside I felt great.
  • I wouldn't mess with compartment syndrome. That stuff's scary.

My sympathies.
  • Quote: I wouldn't mess with compartment syndrome. That stuff's scary.

My sympathies.
    I know! Thank you.
  • Have you tried changing your shoes? I know it's not the same but when I started running at the end of high school I always got knee pain and at the end of my sophomore year I switched to Vibram Five Fingers and in the 3 years I've had them I've never had running related pain. They aren't for everyone but I know a lot of people that experience less pain in them.

Also, I just noticed your avatar and it is awesome. Love Jane Austen.
  • Could be my shoes. I bought a new pair and joined a running club. When I started participating in the club with my new shoes is when it started. I'll talk to the club's organizer, who happens to also own the running store where I got my shoes.
  • I know that a lot of places doing fittings and stuff, but as a barefoot runner, I personally would recommend caution against just letting them toss orthotics at you and call it good. I tend to opt for the less is more but it really is a very personal feel
  • A tiny bit off-topic, my apologies but:

Quote: I know that a lot of places doing fittings and stuff, but as a barefoot runner, I personally would recommend caution against just letting them toss orthotics at you and call it good. I tend to opt for the less is more but it really is a very personal feel
    Do you use the foot-like shoes then? I am really interested in them. It seems like the most healthy way of running. But I worry that it feels weird between your toes and gets dirty?
  • I run in barefoot shoes with the toes. The funny thing is, as a teenager, I hated toe socks, like fiery, burning, cut the toes off the toe socks hate. I love my toe shoes. The first few days they feel odd, but not uncomfortable. After a few weeks, you don't even notice you're wearing shoes. They do get smelly if you wear them barefoot (there is a coordinated brand of toe sock called Injiji that I've never tried) but they are machine washable and depending on the model hang dry in 12-24 hours. They're also great for weight lifting.
  • You might consider a roller for self-massage. They're becoming increasingly popular and do a wonderful job. A rumble roller is an added bonus. Both options can really help with DOMS recovery and stretching.