Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #1  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Default Runners: Help me choose a GPS.

I bought a HRM watch a few months ago and never really thought myself a runner. I'm getting into it now and regretting that I didn't get one with a GPS.

It doesn't necessarily have to have a HRM with it, as I have one already, but it would be nice so I don't have to wear 2 watches!

I've been looking at Garmin's and Polar's. The Polar one I really thought was nice, has some horrible reviews on Amazon.

TIA!!

PS: I'd also really love it if it were less than $300!
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #2  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

Forerunner 305 is always a good solid pick and includes a hrm, can usually find it for $125 on Amazon though the price seems to shoot way up around the holidays and wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't dropped back down yet.

Polar.. is great for hrm (I have a Polar hrm myself!), but the reviews for gps always seemed so iffy I never looked into them much.

I have a Timex Run Trainer which I really love so far. There is one model with just the watch, another with the hrm, which I have. I think the one with the hrm was around $215 on Amazon (though would be more to buy in a running store type place). Though the watch is pretty big on the wrist, like the forerunner 305. The only real drawback I've found so far is that if I want to get a footpod so I can use it indoors, it's more expensive than footpods for other brands I've seen - $69.99 I think. But I have that polar hrm so I just use that indoors instead.

DC Rainmaker has a blog with really good, thorough reviews on all those kinds of sports gadgets, sometimes throws together comparison charts, etc. He compiled a list of different recommendations for holidays 2011 with links to more in-depth reviews: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/11/m...echnology.html .
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Do you have a smartphone? There are some great free apps that utilize the phone's GPS. Depending on what you have, I could reccomend a few.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Garmin 305. Hands down.

The newer garmins have a few more bells and whistles but not enough to justify the increased price IMO and right now the 305's are available cheap - just do some searching, you can almost always find them for <$140. Polar does not have the same kind of GPS reliability as the Garmin.

Last edited by ennay; 01-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #5  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

Another vote for Garmin! I have the 205. I bought it when I just wanted a basic GPS & not a HRM.
Then, I bought a Polar FT40.
I wear them both when I run. I'm kind of a dork like that, but I love them equally!
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #6  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

I use Garmin 305 for the reason that it is (or was 2 years ago when I bought it) the only GPS watch that had heart rate monitor included. It works very well for training runs and serves well on biking trips too, if I keep them short enough (4-5-6 hours is safe, after that battery can die any moment).
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #7  
Sufferer of abibliophobia

S/C/G: 206/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Thank you all for the input. I was kinda leaning toward the Garmin 305!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Do you have a smartphone? There are some great free apps that utilize the phone's GPS. Depending on what you have, I could reccomend a few.
No I don't. My husband has one, and has used several of their GPS apps, but he never lets me borrow it. Twit. lol I'd rather just spend $300 (or less )on a watch than get a smartphone with a contract.
pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/205/185

Height: 5'10"

Garmin 305
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

Garmin 305. Got mine in Nov or 2010 from Amazon for $99 with a HR monitor!! I LOVE it
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote