Treadmill Jogging

• The days here in northern Europe are becoming increasingly shorter, it starts to get dark around 4pm (and light again around 9am). In addition, the weather is cold, windy, and rainy. Soon it will be snowy, icy, and really no fun for jogging

So, after much deliberation, my partner and I decided to buy a treadmill to get us through the winter. I've only jogged outside, so this has been quite an experience. We bought a middle-grade Kettler model, approx. $2000, so it is similar to the treadmills at gyms. It has a strong motor and automatic incline function. The conveyor belt is also quite wide and long.

I love it! First, it was so nice to just put on a tank top and shorts and hop on. I made a folder on my ipod of my favorite songs to last an hour.

It was a whole - other experience to jogging outside, so much so that it feels like I'm doing two different exercises. It is hard to even compare them. I still love jogging outside for the fresh air and plan to continue jogging outside when it is possible.

Today I did 45min at an 8% incline, at 7km per hour. I was so out of breath, I really thought I was going to keel over and die at any moment - it pushed me to my absolute limit, while not impacting my joints. I finished the last 15min with a 10% incline at 5km per hour (fast, uphill walk).

It got a bit boring. Without a playlist, I don't think I would have lasted. Jogging outside can also be a bit boring, jogging inside can be really boring.

Anyway, I'm super happy because now I don't have to worry about the time of day or weather anymore - or about how I look and if I'm dressed warm enough.

Without an incline, I found that jogging on a treadmill is quite a bit easier than jogging outside - I would assume the conveyor belt takes over much of the task your leg muscles would normally be doing. With an incline, the treadmill kicked my butt and worked leg muscles I didn't know I had. I was soaked to the bone when I was finished.

Both are great forms of cardio - but incredibly different.
  • I just bought a treadmill last week. I am doing intervals of walking/jogging. I want to work up to jogging only but right now I am lucky to job for the short sprint
  • I have my treadmill for that very reason - it's too cold out now to be jogging, imo. I'm a cold person anyways, and I was finding that I had to wear 3 hoodies to keep warm enough to keep going, but it was hindering me... so enter the treadmill and I've never been happier!!

And I love my incline function, too. Super great.
  • In general, I think a treadmill will prepare one to run outside (if that is a goal) insofar as it will help you increase your lung capabilities - which is the most important thing.

However, jogging on a flat treadmill vs jogging on flat land is a quite different experience. You really have to use your muscles in different ways.

I think I am going to use the treadmill on incline for a super sweaty workout most days of the week this winter, but still try to go outside for a run once or twice a week, if possible. The good thing about the treadmill is it is super easy on the joints.

A few weeks ago, before the treadmill, I was running outside and I wasn't warm enough. I literally felt too cold (it wasn't merely uncomfortable, it was actually too cold). I couldn't warm myself up (even though I was sweating) - I thought I would eventually warm up, but I never did and I also wasn't exactly close to him.

Low and behold, less than 5 hours later, I came down with a deadly feeling cold. It hit me hard. I haven't had a cold in forever - I'm pretty sure my immune system would have fought this off better if I wouldn't have gotten too cold and wet.

Anyway, since then I've been a bit more weary of jogging in the biting cold. Of course I just need to wear more, but still don't ever want to go through that again!
  • I cannot stand jogging on a treadmill. That being said, with ice out & an 18 month old, it's a good option. However, I usually do a treadmill hike instead at a 12-15.0 incline (at 3.5-4.0mph), it allows me to read a magazine while sweating instead.
  • I learned how to run/jog on a treadmill, and I'm only gradually getting into the hang of running outside for fun (not just for a race).

That being said, as soon as I come in from running in the cold I make sure I warm up immediately and have some hot tea and/or soup. I'm usually literally cold within my body, and I don't want to get sick.
  • For me, jogging on the treadmill is much more difficult than running outside. I sweat a lot more and it seems a lot harder for some reason. I have a wireless headset that I wear so I can watch/listen to TV shows that I have recorded, but there is just something about running indoors that kills me. I love being outside and feeling the air and seeing everything.
  • I love my treadmill. I don't jog on it, though (my knees start to ache after any jogging). I had my husband build a desk for my treadmill (Google tread-desk if you want to see what I mean). I do a great deal of work on the computer, so I walk on my treadmill while I'm working. It has been the single greatest asset to my fitness. It also satisfies the multi-tasker within me.
  • lin43: I've read other places where you say this and so, as my boyfriend and I were debating on whether or not to buy one, I kept thinking how great it would be to walk and work on it like lin does! I'm definitely going to try to get some reading done on mine as well.
  • Unna, it's great, especially for someone who likes to multi-task. I've always been a really fast walker naturally, so I end up walking at a speed of 3 mph (4 elevation), which is much faster than what the norm is, according to what I've seen online. This week, I've been really busy working on my computer, so for the past few days, I've walked at least six miles a day while working! I also think that doing this for such a long time has really increased my leg and glute strength: In a fitness class I just rejoined after a year hiatus, I was able to easily do the wall squats for the whole duration whereas in the past, I always had to stand after about 30 seconds.
  • I have been dreading getting back on the treadmill, but it's getting SO cold here so I got on last night and I actually LOVED it. As I ran in only my sports bra and my short shorts and sweated like a pig while watching the X-Factor on DVR, I wondered why the **** I've been bundling myself up and freezing outside when I have a perfectly good treadmill in a warm basement room at home!!

I ran 5.25 miles and it felt great.
  • Nice. For me, running outside is a lot harder because of all the hills and uneveness.