Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 11:21 AM   #1  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

Default WW exercise question

I am doing WW with my palm. I am a LTM and have exceeded my goal, so I am back on program. It allows me to calculate activity points. For a 700 calorie workout, WW gives me 3 points (this is time/for a moderate WO) but if I were to eat those same 700 calories it calculates to 17 points! What am I doing wrong. I have no intentoin of eating that many extra points but something seems really wrong with that math.
What do you think?
-L
Old 03-11-2003, 03:26 PM   #2  

I can't figure out those exercise points either. Seems that after an hour of moderate exercise you only gain about 4-5 points. It takes a long time to work off food that it's best not to exceed your points for the day.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:02 PM   #3  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

WW say that a moderate workout out burns 700kcals? That is plain wrong! Look up the calories burned during various exercises on the site below. I have checked it's info against my exercise physiology texts and it is quite accurate.

A 14 stone person (200lbs) would only burn about 500kcals per hour in an aerobics class. And that doesn't include the warm up cool down or stretching section - that is 60 minutes of the fast bit!

Skipping for 45 mins would burn about 700kcals... yep I could do that every day - NOT!
Running FAST for about 25 mins does too!
Singles tennis would require about 90mins.
So would fast walking.

So I think that the definition of a moderate workout is misleading. The position taken by those of us working in the health and physical activity field is that a moderate amount of exercise is about 30 minutes in which you feel a little warmer than usual and are a little bit breathless at the end, but you should be able to talk throughout. WW definition is NOT moderate and would be impossible for any overweight person to achieve safely and effectively.

Perhaps this is a printing error and that is why there seems to be a discrepency between the 2! Or it could be that WW do not count kcals lost to exercise as permanently 'lost' as you have to eat more to sustain the exercise. That is why there are more kcals allowed to those choosing the regular exercisers diet programme. Either way I think you should ask for some clarification. If your WW leader doesn't know ask them to check back with head ofice!

Let me know how you get on. It would be useful info for me at work, Stef

http://www.realslimmers.co.uk/Calcul...wCalorieBurner
Closed Thread