3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   To those of you who run/jog. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/246780-those-you-who-run-jog.html)

Rainy 11-09-2011 03:10 PM

To those of you who run/jog.

I'm looking for some advice from those of you who like to run.
I was running(jogging) a few months back and would go regularly (For at least one hour, five days a week). I did that for about three months and I found that I wasn't ever increasing the time I would run(jog) in, and I could only ever do the same amount. (about four miles).

I want to increase my stamina so that I can run/jog a constant mile, and I want to be able to do that in under 8 minutes.

So I guess what I'm after are things that will help me increase my physical, and possibly mental, stamina and duration when running/jogging.

Along with that.. Since I haven't gone in about four months, how would you suggest I get started again? How far/long should I try and go, how quickly I start, etc.

Any other tips, advice, support is also very welcomed and appreciated.

ValRock 11-09-2011 03:16 PM

I jog a mile every morning. I got my time under 9 minutes once and I was pepped up on massive amounts of caffeine and it was an anger run. Anyway... 8 minutes is pretty ambitious!

Start by jogging as far as you can and then walking until you recover. Keep up the pattern, increasing the time you're running vs walking until you're running a solid mile. It took me about 2 months to get there.

Are you jogging outdoors or on the treadmill? I use a treadmill and started (about 6 months ago) with my walking stints at 4mph and jogging at 6mph. Now I start at 6mph with some sprints at 7.5mph thrown in.

Good luck!! Throw some strength training in there, too ;).

GlamourGirl827 11-09-2011 03:28 PM

First let me say :bravo: for running!!! I love running!! I've been at it about a year and I still do about a 10:30 mile.
You can easily google tons of info on running, so really most of what I'm telling you I read elsewhere.
Seems speed workouts are a way to improve time. Which is like intervals. Run/jog/run. Well, warm up slow, then run at a pace you can only hold for like 1-2 minutes, then jog slower again for a few minutes, and repeat. That is a very watered down version. If you google it you can find very specific interval workouts.
Now I have read on running forums that beginners, or people such as myself that were not active befor running and started out overweight, should just work on basic easy runs until its a regular part of their life. The longest I've gone without running is about 2 weeks, though that's not usual. Today, for example though is about a week that I haven't run. Then I'll run consistently for a few months (3-4x week) then miss a week. I was told by a certified trainer that is a runner, that you have about 2 weeks off before you'll see a decrease in your running when you do get back. I must say I see it after a week!

Are you running the whole hour? Or do you have to walk? If you are walking, the advice given to me was slow down a bit, and consentrate more on going further without walking, rather than faster. THe advice worked for me. Last year at this time I could barely run for a few minutes without walking. Now I can run easily an hour without walking. I never would have thought it was possible!

Also tempo runs are good for increasing speed, but google those as I will likely explain that wrong!
I would just work on making all your runs enjoyable so you want to do them and running becomes a regular part of your life. 4 months is a long time to miss and you will likely be back at square one after that. But just keep at it! Its soo much fun and worth it!!
Good Luck!!

Rainy 11-09-2011 03:29 PM

I really appreciate the response!

I know it's ambitious but it means I'll have to work harder to get to it, which motivates me.

I prefer the track outdoors, but I live in Northern Utah, so it's already freezing outside which means either the indoor track or a treadmill. For some reason I have a harder time on the treadmill, and I have no idea why.

I'll definitely throw in some strength training. I can't do full on real push ups yet, and definitely can't do a pull up and I'd love to be able to do both of those.

Thanks Glamour! That is some really sound advice.

For my hour I had a routine.. I'd walk the rounded parts of the track, or have a slower pace, and I'd jog at a higher pace on the straighter part of the track. I'd try to push myself every now and again by full on running/sprinting and see how far I could go before I felt like my lungs were going to burst.

I'll definitely be reading up on more beginner boards for sure, but I wanted to see what others here have done that helped them. I only have a few more months until I leave for 18 months to serve a mission, and I'd really like to be much closer to my weight goal by then and to me.. running is the best way to do it.

I've also been wanting to be better at it since I was in seventh grade when we had to run the mile, and I could never finish it in under 10 minutes.

josiesmom2011 11-09-2011 03:31 PM

people have suggested the Couch to 5K.... i like you was running pretty seriously prior to finding out i was pregnant... my daughter is now 11 weeks old. Well when i was pregnant the running stopped, so i am now starting back at ground zero...... so i started the Couch to 5K to get back at it.... it might be too easy for you but its an option to help get back at it..... not sure how much help I am...lol..... let me know what works for you though, i always like hearing what helps people in situations similar to mine!!!

cammieb 11-09-2011 03:37 PM

I would start off slow, maybe alternate running and jogging. When I first started, I would jog for 1.5 to 2 minutes and then walk for the same amount of time. Then I would repeat the cycle. Every week I would lengthen the amount of time I spent jogging and shorten the amount of time I spent walking until eventually I was jogging continuously.

As far as increasing speed and endurance, I've found that increasing intensity works. When I was planning on joining Navy special ops, my recruiter had me run stairs, hills and inclines. He also had me doing sprint intervals. It helped me go from a 9 minute mile to a 6:30 minute mile. Once you've been slaughtered on stair runs, running on level ground seems a lot easier.

Rainy 11-09-2011 03:39 PM

@Jossie: That sounds like a great idea! Do you happen to have a link for more info on that?

@Cammieb: I hadn't thought of running with a treadmill incline, so that's a great idea for me. What kind of interval times were you doing, and what were you switching back and forth from?

Stair runs are also a really good idea, but that's going to kill me.

josiesmom2011 11-09-2011 03:44 PM

yup, i googled Couch to 5K and it pulled up.... if you have an IPHONE there is an awesome APP for it..... its 2.99 but the best 2.99 ive spent.... its the FELT TIP INC APP CALLED COUCH TO 5k...... its great, it promts you to when to walk and when to run and it keeps track off all your work outs and after you've completed a week, it takes you to the next week workouts and its just awesome....

josiesmom2011 11-09-2011 03:46 PM

That same app also makes a couch to 10K if you want that, but i thought i should take baby steps.

crainjo 11-09-2011 03:47 PM

I definitly have a harder time on the treadmill. I have increase my times by putting in consistent miles, at least 12 per week. Some days I only run a mile or two, but try to run them faster than my normal pace. Then on other days I runs more miles at a slower pace. I also change my tracks up. I have a quarter mile track close to my house that is flat that I run sometimes, but most of my runs come at a hilly 1 mile walking track not far from my work.

My first 5k in April, I finished at almost a 10 minute mile pace, with lots of walking. My last 5k I finished with a 8:14 (25:30) pace with no walking and almost got sick I pushed so hard. I really want to get into the 21 to 22 minute 5k time eventually. But now I am focused on running farther, as I am running a half marathon in January.

Rainy 11-09-2011 03:47 PM

@Josie: Oh gosh, that sounds perfect. I don't have an iphone, but I have an ipod touch so it'll work all the same. I'm going to get it as soon as I head home C:

@crainjo: Wow, that's inspiring! Yeah, I really am not a fan of the treadmills. My hips start to hurt when I'm on them for some reason? My feet tend to hurt more on them too, don't know why. I'm definitely going to have to start sooner now. I want to be making progress already! I'm all pumped up ha ha.

josiesmom2011 11-09-2011 03:51 PM

it is the b est app i've tried, and ive tried a lot of them!! keep me updated to how you like it... once i get the 5 k mastered... again..lol... im going to work on the 10K

Rainy 11-09-2011 03:58 PM

Sounds fantastic. I'll definitely keep you updated.

Unna 11-09-2011 04:20 PM

I've been regularly jogging for a few years now. So, I'm just going to say this, without being nice. It is obviously just a suggestion - but is based on my own experiences:

If you try to jog faster and longer (at the same time), you will get injured and then you won't be running at all.

What is your hurry? Give your body time to adapt to running. I've done an 8 min. mile only a few times and I am 40lbs lighter than you. I think I normally average 10 - 11 min. Extra weight really matters with running - I feel a major difference with each pound gone. After you start to become smaller because of the running, you can then start to work on your speed.

Running is an awesome way to burn the calories - when I first started, I made it my goal to run to 3 songs in a row, then 4, etc. Keep it fun.

I would suggest holding off on the "speed" until your body get used to it. Instead I would focus on endurance - slow and steady. This will allow you to strengthen the heart muscle and increase your lung capacity.

Have fun!

MariaMaria 11-09-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unna (Post 4102435)
If you try to jog faster and longer (at the same time), you will get injured and then you won't be running at all.

What is your hurry? Give your body time to adapt to running.

I would suggest holding off on the "speed" until your body get used to it. Instead I would focus on endurance - slow and steady.

yes yes yes