3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   First 5k in less than a month! Need tips! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/246724-first-5k-less-than-month-need-tips.html)

MedChick87 11-08-2011 05:31 PM

First 5k in less than a month! Need tips!

So I'm currently doing the C25k program and am on W5D2. My parents and I are doing a 5k on Dec. 3, which is less than 4 weeks away. I'm not expecting to be able to run the whole thing, since I probably won't be finished with C25k by then. But I would like to maximize the amount that I can run. Are there any supplemental things I can do other than just running to maximize my stamina? Any specific diet or exercise tips that I can be doing over the next few weeks? Much appreciated! :D

Ilene 11-09-2011 08:41 AM

I can't remember how long you're jogging once you're at w5 of c25k, but if you can jog more than 10 minutes I bet on race day you can do the whole thing non stop... I say this because something similar happened to me, on race day I was so excited and the adrenaline was running so high that I could not stop I just kept going like the energizer bunny :lol: and this race was a 10k :lol: ... I'm sure you'll do very well, good luck!

MedChick87 11-09-2011 08:53 AM

I really hope you're right!! Supposedly I'm going to be jogging 20 minutes at the end of Week 5. I'm a tad skeptical but I guess we'll see! I'm hoping I'll be done with at least Week 7 by the time I do the 5k, so maybe the adrenaline will push me through!

Scarlett 11-10-2011 08:04 PM

**Eat pizza/pasta the night before - I personally follow my diet for breakfast and lunch then eat pizza/pasta for dinner (I don't go too crazy though).

**My brother (an exercise science major) told me his professor said Gatorade and sugary instant oatmeal is the absolute best pre-race meal.

I personally drink a 12 oz bottle of gatorade and eat 2 packets of quaker lower sugar apples and cinnamon instant oatmeal 2-3 hours before the race (the extra sugar may be better, but my weight loss efforts don't need it).

**1-2 days before the race drink lots of water and avoid caffeine, so that your body is properly hydrated.

**Give yourself 1-2 days of rest without working out before the race so that you're fresh.

**PACE YOURSELF!!! Being a part of the opening pack often makes you go out too fast. The adrenaline is insane. I try to start slow with a light jog. Once I'm down to 1-1.5 miles left, I go nuts and leave it all out there. Save the burst for the end. You don't want to be spent at mile 2 and walk across the finish line.

**Get enough sleep

**Tell yourself positive slogans as you run (corny but really works)

-I am an athlete
-I can run like the wind
-I can keep going
-Beer at the finish line
-I believe in myself

just whatever gets you going.

GOOD LUCK!!! You can do it!!