Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #1  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Default Running and sickness

To all the runners out there: I usually run 5k three times a week. I last ran on Tuesday and then I got hit with a horrible case of bronchitis. I could barely hold my head up let alone go outside and run. My question is: I would like to run this Tuesday, but I'm really scared that my endurance is out the window because I haven't ran in a week...do you think I'll have issues running my normal 5k?
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #2  

Hey Emme,

In general airway hyperreactivity persists for a few weeks after a "cold" so you'll experience more couching than normal. Be especially careful if you've ever had asthma.

I wouldn't see it as a failure if I didn't get my 5m in, rather failure would be punhing my body too hard. Just pay attention to your body & you'll be gold.
Gabriel Aidra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I agree with Gabriel. What is your hurry?

If I were you, I'd just replace my jogging with some light walking, get some fresh air, then get back inside and in bed!
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

It's not a hurry, I just don't want to get back out there and only be able to run 1 mile because I've lost endurance from not running my normal 3+. I have a 5k coming up on the 26th which I'm sure is enough time to get back up to over 3, but I was just curious how much endurance we actually do lose by not being able to run for a week.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #5  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I don't think that you'll lose much endurance. I'm training for a half marathon - I'm supposed to do 3 short runs during the week and 1 long one on the weekends - sometimes I can't do the 3 short runs (or any short runs during the week) and I've been able to up my mileage each long run. It's not really a problem.

You need to give your lungs time to heal!
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:04 PM   #6  

A week (one week, not every week) isn't a big deal. I wouldn't worry. Let how you feel guide you.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #7  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

In my experience, your first run back after a break will be crap, but after that it will feel just like normal and even better since you rested.

i think it's good you rested. don't worry.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote