Bikram Yoga

• I just wanted to see what works for others here. For those of you that have done bikram (also known as hot) yoga in the past, did it work for you? Did you notice results and more toning?

I have never done yoga and my friend dragged me to my first class 2 nights ago. I plan on going again tonight even though it was very hard for me and I had to sit out some of some of the exercises, but they were very nice and encouraging. And I felt great afterwards!

That being said, do you guys alternate yoga with some sort of other cardio/weight lifting exercise?

Thanks!
  • Hey.
    I practice Bikram, religiously.

IT WORKS WONDERS!!

Literally, you will drop 2 sizes in about 2 months of good practice (3+ times a week).

It tones, and shrinks,and you feel amazing!!

I practice Bikram solely (and run sometimes, like once a week).

As they say, "welcome to the torture chamber".

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that you have!!
  • I think with any form of exercise it's best to mix and match types and styles to avoid "plateauing" and so that you and your body stay interested and challenged.

I just purchased a groupon for 6 weeks of unlimited Bikram yoga this week and am looking forward to begining just after the holidays. I'm delaying until then due to a couple of out of town trips and I don't want to miss a week after I start.

The place I'm going to does "beginner" classes, good thing since I've never been to any yoga class.

I'm really looking forward to these classes!
  • hey kidjng,
    the bikram series taught most often is the "begginer" series, it is the same 26 postures, and the same dialogue over and over again, but since your body is different every time, the classes are very different.

just a suggestion though- you're going to hate class 1, youre going to hate it, and you're going to HATE class 2, and by class 3, your body is going to get used to it. i really really want to suggest you do your first 3 classes within the first week, and then keep it at a minimum of twice a week.

i say this because a solid week + break lets your body get "un-used" to the heat, and you will continue feeling like poop once you go into the room. but if you practice atleast twice a week, you will acclimatize.

i have been practicing for almost a year, and ive come to the point where i find the room cold under 44 degrees. patience and perseverence!

also, you don't plateau with bikram, from experience, you DON'T plateau.