Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 PM   #1  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Default Signed up for a half marathon

Signed up for a half marathon on a whim the other night, and now I'm thinking- Oh crap! Now what??

We went and bought some Five Fingers shoes since nowhere in this town seems to have shoes that fit my wide feet. I usually wear flip flops, even when it's rainy and snowy, and I feel really comfortable in them so far.

Over the late spring and summer I was on a roll losing weight after my baby was born but then I hit a total wall- I just didn't want to really try for it anymore. It happened for a lot of reasons but now I'm ready to pick it up and go again. Anyways, during that time I was doing the couch to 5k program and I got to the beginning of week 5 and then stopped. I feel comfortable picking up the half marathon program since it's 22 weeks from today to the race.

So, now here I am ready to rock a half marathon. I did a marathon before I was even engaged and it was cool but I was second to last to finish. I hope to finish this half in 3 hours or less (my first half marathon was 3:08.) I had been saying for awhile that I really want to do one, so I saw one that is nearby that I've wanted to do (we just moved to Texas, and it's the Dallas rock & roll half) and just signed up and am now figuring out the plan.
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

you can do this!! Just stay focused...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #3  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

Sarah-I did the Dallas rock-n-roll half last year and I'm signed up for it this year. It was my first half, and it was a blast. I know you will just love it. It is a fairly flat course (as there aren't many hills around Dallas). With 22 weeks to prepare, you should be just fine. Just pick a training schedule and stick with it like glue.
I look forward to hearing how you like it.
Rhonda
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 AM   #4  
Baby bump to hot mama!

S/C/G: 250/208.6/150

Height: 5'7

Thanks Ilene!!

Rhonda, thanks for the info and encouragement! I know it's crazy busy, but hey maybe I'll see you there! I haven't chosen a training program yet because I haven't found very many that are more than 18 weeks long. I might just build a running base in the next 3 weeks, like an accelerated c25K to really get me running a few miles without stopping, and then jump on an 18-week training plan.

I have been running/walking in my VFFs and I just love them! Last Sunday, I ran a full mile without stopping to walk in 15:45! It was a big moment for me, and I think had I been wearing sneakers I would have kept running another few laps at least. But I have read so many warnings not to overdo it in the VFFs, so I walked another lap and then walked home, about 2 miles total. OUCH my calves were killing me all week! I think it was a combo of being out of practice with running as well as the new style of shoes, but I just kept walking all week, doing some ab work and lifting (ie: lots of playing with my chubby 23-pound baby in the air, lifting him, etc.) and then ran again tonight. Tonight I ran my mile in 13:10!!!! I am totally amazed! Again, I felt like I could keep going, but don't want to push it in my shoes and get an injury.

This week I want to add another lap each night that I run (planning on 3 nights of running during the week) so that when I run on Sunday, I can run 2 miles and hopefully be "Safe" from injury. Of course I'll continue walking during the daytimes to add more miles and get back into good habits. I'm so excited for this half marathon, but excitement won't get me across the finish line. This is going to seriously take a lot of work!
PacSunMama is offline   Reply With Quote