3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Jogging stroller for 4 year old?? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/245353-jogging-stroller-4-year-old.html)

FunSize 10-17-2011 02:22 PM

Jogging stroller for 4 year old??

Does anyone put their 4 year old (or older child) in a jogging stroller??
My DD has not been in ANY stroller in over a year.. maybe longer!
For some reason I am uncomfortable with the idea of putting her in one? I have no idea why, I just worry that she's "too big" now...
But I REALLY want to start jogging and going on really long walks. I guess I am looking for someone to tell me it's ok! I don't know why I am having an issue with this.
I am not sure if she will fit into the jogging stroller I have, it's more setup for babies. So, I might have to buy a new one....

My DH works 7 days a week, two jobs. He is never home to watch her and I don't have a sitter. I don't want to hire a sitter to watch her while I run... She's only ever had a baby sitter once in 4 years!

My other option is paying $29 a month for LA Fitness and use the treadmill while she is in the kids care center...
But I'd like to save money..

Sorry, thinking out loud!

noelle8310 10-17-2011 02:39 PM

There is nothing wrong with putting a 4 year old in a stroller!! Plenty of parents do it. My parents have pictures of me being pushed around Disney World in a stoller at the age of 5, lol. It's definitely more practical for you to use a stroller rather than to spend extra money on a sitter or to go to the gym.

Hikermc 10-17-2011 03:31 PM

I have a 4 year old too and when I want to run with him I use our bike trailer, which converts to a jogging stroller. (I mainly use it in stroller mode.) We have a Burley, a brand which is pretty expensive new, but we got ours used for about $150. I also feel self-conscious about putting my kiddo into a stroller now that he's big; one of the nice things about the Burley is that it's hard for other people to see in, so it's not like they know you're running with a bigger kid :) Our "stroller" holds kids up to 100lbs, I think.

fitness4life 10-17-2011 08:03 PM

All you have to do is check the weight limit on the stroller. I agree with Hikermc, the Burley is nice because you can use it behind your bike and for jogging. Be sure to put a bike helmet on the kid when behind the bike.

Do your research and pick one you're comfy with. I spent many years behind a jog stroller while my kids were little. It's an excellent work out and fun mom and me time if you go to a destination for the child (like ice cream or toy store or preschool).

Btw, check your local churches or YMCA. Many offer preschool or adventure alley babysitting a couple hours a day.