Is anyone afraid to workout

• I am about 100 lbs overweight. I weigh more than I did nine months pregnant. I am trying to get motivated and to workout, but I am afraid. Not of people seeing me but of having a heart attack while working out. I have a fast resting heart rate, sometimes my heart goes up to 120 bpm, even just sitting around. I attributed this to my weight gain and I am trying to lose weight but I am afraid if I work out I will die. I have to see a cardiologist, I know, but I was just curious if anyone else was ever in that boat.

Thanks!
  • I would see a dr. before starting an exercise plan to be on the safe side. You don't want to over exert yourself. What about walking? A lot of people start just walking around the block and then walking a little farther each day as they build their ability up to doing more? Focus more on the eating side first and then add exercise?
  • I agree that you should talk to your doctor first, but there are thousands of ways you can move and become more active without risking death or even discomfort. You don't even have to break a sweat (at first).

When I started, "moving more" meant sitting up more than lying down. It meant getting up during commercials and washing a dish or two, or folding some laundry.

Because of my health issues, I've had to make changes extremely gradually - because any drastic chanage to my routine, tends to backfire by causing a flare of my fibro symptoms (pain, fatigue, and cognitive/memory issues).

Even tiny, gradual changes add up over time. When I started, I couldn't even stand to take a shower and couldn't lift my arms over my head long enough to condition my hair. I had to have a shower chair, and had to use a shampoo/conditioner product because I didn't have the strength to do more than one lather, rinse.

And now, hubby and I have just started going to the gym 3 times a week. I walk on the treadmill and I swim. I have been able to add things that make me "sweaty" but if my heart starts to pound hard - I quit. I do not believe in "no pain, no gain."

I think just doing what's comfortable, and trying to increase the comfort zone over time, works every bit as well (if not more so) than pushing yourself to the point of pain.
  • What about walking? Some people here have lost 100s of pounds with walking alone. Start with that.
    Though not a bad idea to talk to your doc!